Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

Compost/Organic Fertilizer

17 posts in this topic

I know Dunk and Bioxx coded only mineral fertilizers because they do not want feces coded in TFC right?  Well, poop is not the only ingredient in compost, sometimes fruit residues, eggshells, bone powder, and plant byproducts are useful in making compost, leave your ideas below.

well i think its been confirmed that food is going to spoil so perhaps it could be used as fertilizer.  i could see you growing some kind of mass crop like a field of soy or whatever not to eat it but to turn it into compost to make sure the other fields you use to feed yourself can grow strong

Straw makes a good fertilizer, and it's pretty plentiful.

Rotten flesh can work too, so can fish, pork, mutton, and other meat products as well.

Straw makes a good fertilizer, and it's pretty plentiful.

Rotten flesh can work too, so can fish, pork, mutton, and other meat products as well.

oh ya that would be a great way to use rotten flesh. perhaps make a composter or something like that to turn straw into fertilizer, perhaps use bone

well i think its been confirmed that food is going to spoil so perhaps it could be used as fertilizer.  i could see you growing some kind of mass crop like a field of soy or whatever not to eat it but to turn it into compost to make sure the other fields you use to feed yourself can grow strong

Food spoilage has actually not been confirmed yet. It is being worked on in a separate branch, and still has a chance of being scrapped and not added to the game. However, if it does make it into the game, Bioxx is considering the idea of the spoiled food being used as fertilizer.

Food spoilage has actually not been confirmed yet. It is being worked on in a separate branch, and still has a chance of being scrapped and not added to the game. However, if it does make it into the game, Bioxx is considering the idea of the spoiled food being used as fertilizer.

huh. i could have sworn someone confirmed it in some post or another but oh well. hope its going to be added then XD

Rotten flesh could be a good ingredient, but we don't have to rely on spoiled food to use as compost, as I told you, eggshells, could be obtained by crafting a bowl with an egg, it should give you egg bowl (cook for normal egg, egg directly in the fire gives boiled egg). The byproduct of that crafting is eggshells which can be used in compost. In addition, greenbeans aren't eaten directly, but the grains are eaten, craft the greenbeans once for beans, byproduct is the coating of the beans, useful as compost, fruit residues are obtained by simply eating the fruits, residues represent what aren't eaten from the fruit. Like seeds (good replacement for fruit tree saplimgs :) ) and the shell of the fruit, good as fertilizer too. Meats and bone powder are also useful.

I like it, it add a use for food that does not give that much

100% organic wheat grown from spider eye and zombie flesh!

Lol

100% organic wheat grown from spider eye and zombie flesh!

Small print:we are not responsible for any side effects such as sudden seizures, heart attacks, an uncontrollable tick in the right eye ticks, death, blindness, insanity, zombification, the sudden urge to eat brains, etc.

Eat at your own wrisk

​Smaller print: We are also not responsible for whatever you may do after eating this product. have a nice day

If food spoilage ends up off the table (so to speak) you could still make non-doo fertalizer makeable.

If anyone has seen one of the skyblock mods, one of them has wooden barrels that are open to the sky. Anything you throw in that is not rocks, such as saplings and fruit and even zombie flesh (i think) eventualy composts down to dirt in those (because you need dirt in skyblock survival maps of course) and when left out in the rain, they collect water (which you can add stone powder to that makes clay, if memory serves)

So, why not make special Composting Barrels or Composting Bins out of wood and some other components, and like those barrels, just eave them out? Instead of a block of dirt, after a month or two you would get some nice Organic Fertilizer. Even if food spoilage actualy makes it into the game, you could still use that as a base and just code it to work slightly faster with spoiled food added (and slower to just sticks, leaves and saplings ect)

The better the composter, the better the fertalizer even (specialy hardr to build ones with metal or waterproofing and so on)

I'm fine with mineral fertiliser being the only method of fertilisation. I don't see the time investment on recycling your wasted food to produce more food being worth it. Just make less food and implement methods of preservation. Mineral Fertilisers are a very targeted approach. Being a 'limited' resource, there is encouragement for the players to manage the usage of fertiliser. Perhaps when food stocks have rotted away, or after a harsh winter. If sounds quite fair to me. I hope I'm not over analysing gameplay and ruining some of the 'magic'. Basically, without automation mass making resources from renewable sources isn't quite worth it.

Strap in as I take over! Like Silverbane said. There should be composting bins. In where you can mix foods (being unspecific) into a composting barrel/bin (henceforth referenced as barrel) with dirt, which then breaks down into compost. Compost is not a block/item, just a quantity like resources in the bloomery. As it rots away worms are attracted into the barrel. Worms are then extracted from the barrel and can be right clicked into a farm land block. Worms them encourage the rate at which nutrients return to the soil. Worms would primarily be a method of regaining nutrients while leaving a field fallow. Or after tilling a non-grass block. Basically they're important in managing your farms, but do not increase yield like mineral fertiliser by boosting the nutrition content of the block. I don't know much about farming other than what my Uncle (a mad backyard farmer in a sense). Worms carry composting plant matter. The then poop (Sorry Dunk! At least it isn't steaming pile!) the raw nutrients out. I did a little research too. No studies or science data, simple stuff, so have a look. Very plausible addition. Worm farming is a passive process. A set and forget that will not distract the player from the game. Keeping their attention on the farming process itself.

Then as Allen mentioned straw. Staw could be used to make a mulch. Perhaps with wood chips too? Doesn't really make a difference. The purpose of applying Mulch to a farm land block is to keep the block hydrated for longer. Meaning that the default (and somewhat gross) method of irrogation employed by minecraft (9x9 around water source) could be ignored. Allowing players to build farms with Mulch and live off the rain in temperate climates. Mulch helps to protect the soil from evaporation, maintaining moisture content. Mulch does a whole lot more (wikipedia Curtsey link). It even says straw much is "used in vegetable gardens and as a winter covering". Perhaps mulch could impart a 'hardy' effect to crops grown in the farm block. Aside from being an insulator, the bacteria in mulch produce a decent amount of heat. If you've ever had a tree mulched and dumped on your property in a pile. You'd be able to see the effects first hand... So much shovelling...

Both these additions would encourage the use of smaller, but well cared for, farm plots. In larger civilizations, long growing, or reharvestable crops would likely still need to be built with proper irrigation. Which would work well with the idea of food spoilage and even seasonable crops (which I wont go into ;)). On the flip-side. If we needed to eat more, or rather farm larger quanities of goods. These additions may make farming a chore. Rather than a management sub-game.

that DEFINATELY sounds much better than what i had imagines in my head, StarXephir *grin* and could allow for more types of barrel use (i still would love to see a barrel that can collect rainwater automaticaly, even if it cannot be used to make source blocks of water till you have the redsteel buckets)

you could also combine them on a rooftop or hill top like the water tanks they use for those train mods (but not designed to just *create* water out of free air, but have to be left open topped so they actualy collect the rainwater?)

along with the worm colonies (think of the composter barrel as that, and it works better) you could also maybe make a barrel that  you combine rainwater and then the mineral fertalizer to make a water based booster. add that to the mulch system with watering cans (starting with clay watering jugs, probably amphora style with a longer lip, so as easier to pour, then maybe pitch sealed wood, passing thru to the metal versions.)

the better the watering can, the more uses it could have befor it breaks, and the more water it could hold (to a point) but they could *only* be used to water crops

(seen something similar in the old rune factory style farm mods for normal minecraft. it has a hardcore watering system where you can turn off the vanilla water mechanic if you want to, so you ether use the watering cans as optional extra ways to water, or with the hardcore watering ON, it meant you *had* to use the watering cans to water your crops sometimes up to twice a day)

but i would set it so that you culd only water the crops with the special booster mix, once in a while...you dont want them going mad (unless you also added a killer plant mod XD)

Staw could be used to make a mulch. Perhaps with wood chips too? Doesn't really make a difference. The purpose of applying Mulch to a farm land block is to keep the block hydrated for longer. Meaning that the default (and somewhat gross) method of irrogation employed by minecraft (9x9 around water source) could be ignored. Allowing players to build farms with Mulch and live off the rain in temperate climates. Mulch helps to protect the soil from evaporation, maintaining moisture content

If we could hydrate farmland by using a full wooden bucket as well as with rain or water source/flow blocks, it would mean we can use mulch and buckets to keep land hydrated without having to rely on rain, or having to farm near water. And it will also let us hydrate more farmland than with water blocks, meaning we don't have to build long, twisting farms along rivers or cover the ocean with thatch and dirt to make big farms, and without steel buckets

@HM & Allen.

Didn't think about that. Being able to manually (or later automatically?) fields would be really good too. Perhaps if there is water cans. Like ceramic Jugs, only the ceramic watering can breaks. Wrought Iron ones last forever. Then it's basically a bucket, right, like Allen said.

Combining both ideas together would be pretty excellent. Using barrels to keep a 'tank' of water, in the case of drought. You could manually ferry buckets and buckets and buckets of water, so collecting rain is handy. If buckets were used, they would need to 'splash' onto the nearby blocks. They have a lot of water in them. In the iron age you can forge the watering can. It pours water on a block-by-block basis. Having more tha 9 uses, to beat the bucket.

All you would need is a Copper Saw to get started. Which is good, but it migh be too early in the game for such powerful functionality.

Would having all those farm blocks 'dying out' cause any additional server lag?

All you would need is a Copper Saw to get started. Which is good, but it might be too early in the game for such powerful functionality.

Hmm, what if unhydrated farmland drys out much faster, and mulch takes lots of time an tons of straw to make(say, 4~5 stacks and 2 [in-game]days)?

Also, mulch can wear out in say, a week or so so you need to re-add mulch every week(or maybe month?[or possibly, the more mulch you add, the longer it stays, one mulch adding one week])

So even if it can be done early-game, it would take a lot of time, and straw, and it would need constant management, so unless you advance to the point where you can mass-produce mulch and give your farmland a year's worth of mulch or something, so it would not be suited for large farms early-game.

Also, I think it would be nice if barrels could fill with rain water/snow.

I think a good way to do this would be make it so barrels, when placed, don't show the lid. Not only will this let rain-collecting make sense, it will also let us see what's in the barrel without having to 'open' it. When you use the 'seal' button, it will close the lid. You should be able to seal the barrel whenever you want, and unless something inside the barrel is fermenting/whatever, you will be able to open it.

All areas should get rain, even the desert(is there a desert in TFC?), and there should be much, much less rivers, lakes, etc, so the mulch/watering/rain-collecting isn't just a nice extra but a need for areas without a source of water. This will also make the rivers and lakes a highly desirable place to live near, and most multiplayer towns will need to be near a water source or have lots of barrels to sustain their water usage.