Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
starXephir

'Equip+ ∝ Combat': Part 1 - Expanded Equipment Slots & Usage.

13 posts in this topic

This topic will be part one in a two part series that covers a major addition. The suggestion has been split as both ideas are implementable separately. The idea is that they work off each other for the maximum experience.

Forward:

General:

The idea of this thread is to create a design brief for a specific, complete idea. Any input is valid to the suggestion. As this is a game for everybody to enjoy.
Do remember TFC is a 'total conversion'. Outlandish, over the top, and excessive ideas are fine. Implementation of such ideas needs to be managed in a way as streamlined as possible (Approaching a feasable goal). Compatibility shouldn't be a primary concern (In a total conversion at least). Though if it does cause problems with implementation then the idea will need to be reworked.

This Post:
Primarily concerns the lack of immersion into player interaction with equipment and the world. Expanding equipment slots and equipment usage will make way for greater depth in combat. Which will make up part 2 of this suggestion.

Expanded Equipment Slots & Usage

Revision 1. 26/03/14

The overall purpose of this suggested expansion is to provide a greater range of interaction with the game environment. Enhance general interaction with players and player characters. Finally, to broaden what is capable in the grand scheme of things, breaking away from the limited Minecraft format.

Inventory Design:

I assume you've all played with Tinker's Construct and seen the equipment screen, good you have a basic idea where I'm going. No? How about Diablo or it's clones? NO?! Well, if you haven't seen it here are some examples.

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, the right half of the screen. Filled in with equipment.

Diablo games are simple rouge-spawns. Which themselves are like automated single character, dungeons and dragons-ish dungeon dives. So here is a DnD Computer Game.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, a little more detailed. Contains some of the things I will suggest.

Hopefully this is enough to understand the general premise.

I'll go over some key design features used in these inventories. Not necessarily something needed to be used in TFC. They are just excellent for ease of use. There is no shame in copying them!

Diablo 2:

• The layout is location appropriate. The right hand on the left of the screen because that is the right hand of the doll, AKA You.
  • The equipment slots are directly above the inventory. This allows you to quickly use your inventory without swapping screen and saves on "tabs". Tabs and menus in menus are not intuitive.
  • The I/II tabs are "weapon sets" something that will be discussed mostly in Part 2: Combat, and the RPG Design. Basically it gives you two options you can quickly draw when the situation demands it.

Baldur's Gate II:

• Uses the same drag and drop interface, with the characters inventory easily accessible.
  • Quick ____,
    • Quick Weapons is like the weapon sets mentioned in Diablo 2.
    • Quick Items allows you access to usable with the touch of a hot key, in-game. Not while in combat, without having to click anything.
  • Displaying basic details. For quick reference. Saving you from needing to pull open other menus. That -2 is the characters Armour Class (it's convoluted), the number next to it is his HP. The text at the top is the players Name and Class.
  • The slot icon features what that slot is used for. Quite clearly in the case off the 'off-hand slot'. Showing both a weapon and a shield.
  • Quiver. No real use in TFC as is. But it enhances the idea of strategy in combat and being able to quickly access utilities. Eg, having armour piercing arrows. May be discussed in Part 2.

Take from that what you will but 4 important things to note:

• Drag-and-Drop is the most user friendly method.
  • Clear visual identification of what a slot is used for. Be it in layout, or imagery.
  • Less is more: Down with menus and tabs!
  • Quick access to situation equipment/items.

Equipment, New and Old Items:

As TFC takes place in a magic-less universe. Most forms of trinkets will be based towards Server Play. Other items and slots should have a functional purpose. Each section assumes the creation for the appropriate equipment slots.

'Clothing'

The standard MC/TFC equipment work fine. Helm/Chest/Legs/Boots. 3 Additional slots could be implemented. Undergarment, gloves, cloak. The primary function of these slots are as insulators. Keeping the player warm, eg wool or leather. Undergarments and gloves could also be 'chain mail' Providing a boost in armour rating, but not giving the player any additional insulation. This may open up to a varied armour system. Where players mix and match. Wearing Chain on top of Quilt gives you the benefits of both when struck in the chest. Not too unbelievable. Such a suggestion would make server towns look quite lively, with a variety of different personal styles. On battle fields and PVP servers. Identifying what KIND of armour an opponent is wearing would be more important than the material. Choosing an offensive tool to counter their strengths. PvP armies might even have regimented ranks with defined armour sets!

'Jewellery'

Feed back and suggestions for this section is most welcome. There should only 1 amulet slot and one ring slot at the most due to their limited use. My idea is that Jewellery is used as a 'status symbol'. Jewellery can be made of any metal, and have a gem of any quality set into it. Once a piece is complete, it is inscribed. A picture of the jewellery and the inscription appear below the players name in the world along with an icon of the jewellery (aka Bling Factor). In the form Name/Ammulet Inscr/Ring Inscr from top to bottom. The uses here are varied! An expensive looking amulet inscribed with King of Salamanadoor to give the king his title. Factions could have matching amulets as a sort of coat of arms. Rings could me made to indicate someone profession or role in a kingdom. Or players may even want wedding bands. OP's and Admins would have the ability to make special Jewellery/Inscriptions for advanced faction management or whatever their dreams desire! Removing said jewellery would allow the player to slip a little into anonymity. If they plan to commit dastardly acts. As wearing your title could be standard practice.

'Off Hand'

For the purpose of this topic it is really just a swap-to item. Items could be shields, or a bow. Some what unnecessary here, but it is a whole undeveloped area of Minecraft.
Elaborating on "Shields". Shields should be used to "parry" (negate damage within X ticks, not spam-able). If you get hit hard, a shield wont dissipate the force. Parrying or deflecting the blow would. Large shields (eg Tower Shield), block while holding down the button, but only mitigate damage. Not prevent it. It's a bit complex, but I hope to hear some thoughts.

'Etc'

This is a vague slot. I envision it as kind of the missing ring slot... I would suggest this as a place a player could put something with a special function or vanity feature. Equip a 'Trophy' from a boss mob. It would place a little icon text to the players name with a symbol of their heroic (Or not) feat. For example, killing a mighty bear, rewards you with a 'bear paw' (opposed to scalp or head for the squirmish). Equipping it would show what is in the most basic sense, an "Achievement Icon" next to your name. Killing a tiger will give you the tiger pelt icon, etc etc. Founding a kingdom might grant you a Crown from the admins, giving you the crown icon.

'Quick Slots'

I can't think of many other uses than "on-demand" items. Like a throwing weapon, or medical item. In terms of the 'balance of power', giving people who prioritise close quarters combat quick access to a decent throwing weapon is invaluable. Whether to seal a kill in a pinch, or stop that jerk with the bow from taking pot shots at you. Try to keep in mind this suggestion has the idea of a "Combat Stance" where simply chaning items on your hotbar may not be a viable option of 'quick action'.

'Weapons'

Generally, I'd say two considerations are needed here. The first is to break away from the default Minecraft attack (Clicking as fast as you can in a frenzy). Second, to create weapons for each major niche. Though if anyone plans to suggests spears should be penalised at close ranges, check yo self. Just hold that thing closer to the point. Making weapons have a 'wind up' and 'back swing' to limit their actions and require a cognitive understanding of how they're used optimally (ie, reward practice and skill) would be 'best', but I don't know if Minecraft is capable of such a system.  It can be rewarding for some, and frustrating for others. So it may not be "fun" for everyone.

Key Notes:

• Diversify "Steve", by giving players additional choice. Allowing them to be themselves beyond the skin. (For long term interest)
  • Create interesting equipment for players to use. Opposed to powerful items.
  • Maintain the multiplayer focus of TFC by creating additional community tools or frameworks
  • Build the base for later additions to use these slots.

Equipment Abilities:

Having choice is nice, but dull. What I mean by that is there is no reason not to max out. Take the BEST of everything. Using only items with the best stats.

I present the idea of "Evocable" equipment. Equipable items that serve a function more than a statistc. Players can create their own playstyle by using the full 'abilities' of their equipment.

Example: Cloak

When the assigned key is pressed. The player wraps them self in the cloak. Hiding their armour and (depending on the cloak colour) blending them into the surroundings. If the player takes any action that requires their hands, the wrapping is cancelled. Another suggested idea, is to make cloaks shroud the player's identity completely.  Perhaps the material the cloak is made from defines the function of it's evocation. One item (and slot!), but with two distinct options.

Example: Shield

A great shield may not as useful as a regular shield (sluggish), but when it is evoked, it is slammed into the ground, making a temporary 2 high wall. Alternatively, pressing the Action/Dodge key with a tower shield, puts the user into testudo-like stance.

Such implementation helps to create "soft" classes amongst PvP. A dedicated archer may take a Great Shield and Bow as their main layout. Using the Shield to instantly fortify a position to attack from.

I coursely suggest that all things like shields. Be made statistically equal (within their tier ;)). Consider it as a starting point, to highlight the individual functions, opposed to derived statistics because "It's bigger, it should be better". That works in simulation, but material, worked into any shaped shield will have the same protection, regardless of surface area. Wooden shields were a staple for a long time, which says a lot about Minecraft's material designation (Wood being almost garbage).

Design Guideline:

• Equipment implemented as more than a statistic.
  • Equipment must enable/enhance additional forms of play though item-based abilities.

Using new Equipment:

This is where Part 1 and Part 2 will converge and ties in with some of the suggested equipment slots.

'Hotkeys':

I propose ZXCVBNM be used by TFC. The bottom row on the keyboard basically. I know other mods use some of these too. But they are usually configurable.

The idea of having keys like these is to promote strategy and make the game more immersive. A sort of ground level RPG feature that makes interacting with the environment and items more streamlined.

Pimary Actions:

X- Quick Swap. This may be between weapon sets (Part 2). Or used to pull your "off hand" equipment out. Changing to another item in your hotbar, or pressing X again, changes to your normal equipment. This could be pulling out a ranged weapon quickly, for example.

Z- Combat Stance. Mostly for Part 2. Swaps your character from "default minecraft" into using weapon sets. In "combat stance" Left click does your right hand action, right click does your left hand action. Sword and Shield (Slash and Parry). Dagger and Bow (Stab and Draw).

C- Special Action/Dodge. Depending on what you are wielding the function of this button would vary. I guess it would be based on your off hand equipment. (See: Equipment Abilities)

Item Buttons:

V/B- Use/equip items. Once they have been used. You swap back to your original equipment. Example. Press V, you bring out a hatchet. Throw the hatchet and you re-equip your Sword/Shield. Press B and you bring out a medical item from the medical suggestion. Should yout be playing a medic role.

N/M- Are your configurable quiver items. Or quick Weapons. Not sure on this. They are basically a toggle.

Specific Keys, alternate options:

FGH- Easily and quickly accessible. Could do things like the cloak 'wrapping' ability. Leaving them free may be for the best so players have more room to re-configure keys into "good" spots.

The number pad could also be used for global items. Like cloaks. However it is used by other mods.

Using hotkeys to simplify the gap between player action and character action is important for the implementation of "quick" items. It also enables a higher difficulty on the action side of things. As players will have more tools than just "Left click until it's dead". Correctly managing those tools should be a more central point of gameplay than hard countering a monster with an improntu thatch structure it cannot overcome.

Key Suggestions:

• Intruduced items should be accessable in use.
  • Creating alternated stances ("Combat/Construct") may aid in fully realising some equipment.

I like the setup :D I also like that its in a series.. Kinda like TerraFirma+ ;)

Some ideas for:

'Jewellery'

I think they should, when equipped, appear like a part of your skin. an amulet would appear below your head, in front, at your neck. Instead of a ring, a bracelet would be nice.

It would be a way to tell people apart, yet not be flashy or anything like that.

I personally don't think equipping something should show up next to our names.

For me, stuff like that makes the game feel more 'fake' and removes some of the 'immersing' quality of the game.

Also, an item idea:

A cloak and hood that when used, compleatly covers your character's entirely  and removes their nametag, enabling players to move around compleatly secretly, and on death, does not give out a death message, so the player will not be exposed

Just an FYI, a Diablo-like inventory style has been suggested and discussed extensively in IRC, and has been essentially shot down due to the fact that it would require re-writing basically the entire inventory system from scratch and throwing out the vanilla inventory, which would likely destroy any chance of compatibility with other mods.

which would likely destroy any chance of compatibility with other mods.

How big are we at the 'keep compatibility with other mods' bit?

Frankly I don't think any mods I know of will work with TFC anyways due to all the changes in health/damage, smelting changes, terren gen changes, ore/metal changes, etc etc

Frankly I don't think any mods I know of will work with TFC anyways due to all the changes in health/damage, smelting changes, terren gen changes, ore/metal changes, etc etc

That's the exact reason I plan to keep it in my suggestion. I know a lot of things I have suggested and will suggest are a lot of work. This is a total conversion after all. I'm happy for anyone, even add-on makes, to use any or all of these ideas to enhance the game. If I ever get around to learning java properly (I'm doing a short course on programming! All I know is C++ and machine code for microchips and beyond ez PCL programming), I'd be more than happy to give it a shot. I don't think that making a new inventory layout would break compatibility that much anyway. From what I've heard there will be great restrictions on inventory space in the coming builds. Further breaking compatibility, and making a new inventory system a favourable idea! If anything it will follow the vein of steering away from commonalities other MC mods. Long live the revolution?I'll make an edit of this post once I've gone through everything else and done an update to the OP.

Well I dummied out. Looks like I'm serial posting in my own thread.

@Moress. The layout is definitely similar :P . Sadly I don't have close to the same talents.

@Allen. With jewellery, I'm not sure how easy it is to render it onto a player. Ontop of armour. The problem with stripping it of giving you a title, completely defeats the purpose of this suggestion. And is the difference between pure vanity and a centre piece to community function.

@Kitty. Well, it is just a suggestion to be built upon. Hopefully you read the post above this one... (I really did dummy out with that edit)

Edit yet again... So many spelling errors.

One of the major focuses of the latest builds is increasing compatibility with other mods. B78 will have a config file specifically for adding in other mod's ores into the world generation.

One of the major focuses of the latest builds is increasing compatibility with other mods. B78 will have a config file specifically for adding in other mod's ores into the world generation.

You mean like Industrialcraft2? Ewww.

@Allen. With jewellery, I'm not sure how easy it is to render it onto a player. Ontop of armour. The problem with stripping it of giving you a title, completely defeats the purpose of this suggestion. And is the difference between pure vanity and a centre piece to community function.

Yea, making it just give you a title would be simpler.

However, the reason I posted what I did is because I felt that having it render on you would be enough to let people tell who's in the community or not. Also, if it just renders on the player, it will mean players have to take more caution until they are close enough to see their jewelry and judge them, instead of being able to see their nametag and making split second decisions or being able to tell what faction/group you belong in by seeing your nametag through a wall.

Also, like I said making it give you icons/titles in your nametag to me, feels off, and it really doesn't seem like it would fit in with TFC. of course, this is just my opinion.

The reason why I think just having the jewelry render like skin/armor would be just as fine, is because even if you wear armor, your arms are exploded, so jewelry such as bracelets, armbands, etc would still show, and those would be enough to tell what faction/group you where in, which is really all you need to know in Pvp, where you are most likely to wear armor.

amulets, necklaces, etc would be covered by armor, true, bit if these where to show rank, all you really need to do is remove your armor when you don't need it so people can see what rank you are this would also encourage people to not wear armor 24/7 so people can know what rank they are. Of course, making it render over armor should be doable enough, I think.

Just an FYI, a Diablo-like inventory style has been suggested and discussed extensively in IRC, and has been essentially shot down due to the fact that it would require re-writing basically the entire inventory system from scratch and throwing out the vanilla inventory, which would likely destroy any chance of compatibility with other mods.

Will it really? I mean, devs can always opt keeping the old structure as backwards compatibility, providing required values calculated using the new structure's data. I don't really see when this will break, exactly.

Is it other mod's armor? The fact that other mod's equip system will not have, say, gloves? That's fine to not have, no? Elaborate on what exactly breaks, please.

And what is it with you guys discussing stuff what seems like only when I'm not around to participate? You guys are the worst *sob*

this is cool but shouldn't axes be used in it too?

this is cool but shouldn't axes be used in it too?

Used in what?