Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Aldebaran

Hunting Expanded / Aesthetically Enhanced

33 posts in this topic

After playing far more hours of TFC than most sane people would deem reasonable.  There were several areas which I  felt could use some improvement but the most significant was with Hunting.  By this I mean the variety of wildlife, what said wildlife drops, and other means of acquiring animal-centric food. 

Currently Existing Animals

Cows: Consider doing a recolour of cows to make them appear more like the wild bovines they are descended from.  Some good examples to base this change off of include Highland Cattle, American Bison and the European Bison.

Pigs: I regularly hunt boar and they look nothing like the friendly pink pigs that is commonly seen in farms.  They are big, brown/black/grey and have a nasty temperament.  In fact they are not even herbivores as is widely believed and are very opportunistic and will eat anything that makes itself an easy meal. On that end I would like to see a recolour of the pig to bear more resemblance to a Russian Boar and possibly have them attack the player once they are attacked.  It might also be pertinent to only have the males attack the players if they are attacked. 

Chicken: I like what you have done with the rooster as it looks very similar to the birds they are descended from.  I would suggest a recolour of the female chicken to look less like a 'factory farm' white feather chicken and more like the more rustic breeds.

Sheep: Sheep are actually pretty accurate and I am not going to be so picky as to say you should tint that white wool to off-white.

Bears: Although it is naturally fatty/gristly resulting in it being an outright pain to prepare, bear can be a delicious meal (bear hash is an all time favorite).  I would like to see a meat drop from bears if just for the sake of realism.

Deer: Another fine meal, which for some reason doesn't provide one.  Getting some venison when you kill a deer would be a nice addition.  Furthermore, it wouldn't be unheard of to have them tamable.  Reindeer are heavily domesticated and there is a growing trend to have venison farms in the United States.  it could possibly be interesting to expand upon them and add a creature of their sort to every biome (save for desert and ocean obviously)

Wolves: Although dogs are mans best friend, they have been used for fur and food in numerous countries over the years.  In inclusion of dog meat on wolves would be a realistic addition although not necessarily politically correct in western civilization.

Currently Existing MobsSpiders: I think it is safe to say that spiders the size of the ones in Minecraft (thankfully) have never and never will exist ... Although there there are a number of large creatures (roughly 2-3 blocks 6-9meters) in length which could not only climb, but which could screw your day right up if you encountered one.  Given the size of the hitbox for the spider two things stand a possibility of taking that role.  The first is a gigantopithicus (a great ape, some people claim the Sasquatch is a gigantopithicus).  The second is a smilodon... one of the sabre-toothed cats.  Both could, if agitated easily mess up your day.  Both could be hunted for food as many cultures still consume large cats (namely lion) and monkey/ape.  This could provide a slightly more prickly food source than your average bovine.  Consider it a dangerous hunt perhaps. 

Zombies/Skeletons: Given that neither zombies and walking skeletons really don't exist, recoloring these mobs to be of interest as well.  Not into an animal mind you but into another human form.  I also know that some of you might be thinking what recoloring skeletons and zombies into humans has to do with hunting... and I can tell you the answer might be disturbing.  It is widely believed that ancient humanoids practiced varying forms of ritualistic cannibalism.  It wasn't viewed as gross, it didn't make them sick, and it provided them with a meal.  This could be done by simply renaming rotten flesh to human flesh and removing the 'food poison' from the item.  Even if the cannibalism factor is deemed to disturbing for use I do like the idea of a recolour.... neanderthal anyone?

Additional Huntable Mobs:

Small Game: Most people think of deer, bear, boar, elk, moose etc when they think of hunting but it extends far outside of that.  There are a wide variety of animals that are hunted for food even if they aren't as large, creatures which are abundant in the wild.  These creatures are things like Rabbit, Squirrel, Game Birds.  I would like to see some of these creatures added so that they would spawn and despawn like hostil mobs but weren't tamable.  If nothing else it would bring some extra life to the world.  Traps/snares could also be used to harvest these varieties of game.

Fishing:  Numerous methods of fishing could be added to the game.  Fishing rods work but there are dozens of other ways.  Spear fishing is an obvious one given that javlins have already been incorporated into the game, but net fishing strikes me as an equally viable option as do fish traps.  Consider it a type of one hit wonder where you place a block and it has a random chance of generating a fish in it every so often that the player can take.  Additionally if explosives are introduced to the game , explosive fishing is highly effective although dubious legality in the real world.  High volumes of alcohol in water can also be used to poison fish... so those 80 barrels of vodka I build my house out of can finally be put to good use. 

Shellfish/Lobster: In numerous countries, metal cages are filled with rotten flesh (hint hint) and dropped to the bottom of the ocean.  Crabs/Lobster/Crayfish and other scavenger species flock to feast but once inside the cage to enjoy its contents they find themselves unable to escape.  Some people are inclined to believe that the price of lobster is because of how rare they were, when in fact they were so abundant in years past that there had to be laws written against feeding prisoners lobster more than 3-4 days a week because it was deemed cruel and unusual.  Free diving could also be a method of acquiring clam/oyster etc. 

Alligator/Crocodile/Caiman & Sharks: These creatures are possibly history's most successful predators.  If going for realism and natural threats it seems only fitting that perhaps they should be included in some capacity or another.  Also given that sharks eat just about anything be it organic or not it could make for an interesting loot table for them. 

Boss Mobs

I know that Boss Mobs may seem a bit too RPGish, but I think they could still be done well in Terrafirma craft.  By this I don't mean that you combine a tiger pelt with some home made corn flakes and some sugar to produce "Tony the Tiger" a god like tiger that will kill with the merest glance.  By boss mobs I mean something that is extremely difficult that the player can choose to enter combat with and if they succeed they get some massive rewards. Examples for 'boss' mobs could be a Mastodon, Megalodon/Giant Squid, a Rhinoceros or perhaps a surviving dinosaur (a tad unrealistic but could be fun).

I can see that you have hunted before (I like the part with getting fish by getting them drunk)

In addition to getting fish drunk, if nut trees are ever added to the game, some nut shells (most commonly walnut) can be be ground and placed in a bag.  When submerged his bag infuses the water with a chemical that stuns fish without killing them.  It allows you to pick them up as they float on the top of the water.  Fishing was much easier before the environmental protection agency got involved lol.

Welcome to the Forums!

Before anything else, it should be noted that animals are still very much a WIP and nowhere near finished.

Textures: Currently, other than the initial hunting and wrangling of livestock animals, the players deal with these mobs as if they are domesticated, hence the domesticated textures. The way the animals are currently set up, they only have a single texture regardless if you find them in the wild, or in a barn, so the domesticated texture was chosen due to the fact that the mobs currently behave like domesticated animals, and as a throwback to their original textures in vanilla. It could be possible to add a "generation" flag to the animals, so the piglets who's great-great-great-grandparents were brown are born pink, but until there is a way in the code to distinguish between a "wild" animal and a  "domesticated" one, they're all going to look a bit more like the domesticated side. If you don't want to wait for that to be implemented, feel free to find a texture pack that has more "rustic" textures of vanilla animals and use that.

Venison is confirmed for B78.

Behavior: AI is a PITA to code, but AFAIK, Dunk has plans to make essentially every "wild" animal hostile. A boar probably won't come charging at you just because you got within 30 blocks of it like the vanilla monsters do, but they will definitely fight back if they feel threatened (If you punch that cow, you gonna get trampled).

Taboo Meat: Dunk has explicitly stated that he will not add taboo or disgusting things to the game such as feces or animal genitalia. Whether or not more Western taboo meats such as dog will be implemented is entirely up to what Dunk is comfortable adding. If he thinks it is gross, it probably ain't going to happen.

Currently Existing Mobs: This section makes it somewhat obvious that you haven't read through the suggestion forum as required by the rules, since there has already been extensive discussion on this, as well as a fairly recent topic explicitly suggesting re-textures (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5236-alternatives-for-magical-mobs/). The large spiders, zombies and skeletons are planned to be moved underground once there are more believable hostile mobs roaming the surface. These mystical creatures will be found in more believable environments such as scary caves, or possibly even underground dungeons or crypts.

*It should also be noted that you used the world "realism" multiple times throughout your original post. Keep in mind that TFC is actually not aiming to be completely realistic, and that many real life mechanics are altered for balancing reasons while still being believable and keeping in mind that this is a mod for Minecraft. It is a game, and is not trying to be exactly like real life, since real life isn't all that fun sometimes.

Even without Dunk's objections. It's important to remember this game is played by all kinds of different people, from different backgrounds and cultures. Dunk's reserved stance is good, not because it is 'politically correct'. But that it shows that there are definitely people out there that can be offended by such inclusions. Having 'dogs' drop pelts is probably fair enough (never get enough leather!), but a lot of people might not be comfortable with eating the thing sleeping at their feet while they play. My dog... Is a total coward, he wouldn't want anything to do with those wild beasts, so eat away! A wolf pelt-backed hauberk would be pretty kick ass...

Extending small game may not be necessarily... It would be good if mob spawning is kept as it is currently. Throwing in a bunch of "trash" passives that the player can use to eat, but not gain a substantial advantage off (like from domesticated livestock) could be a work around of sorts.

I don't think Boss Mobs are at all too RPGish, but I'm biased towards RPG gameplay.

You summed it up yourself best with the line "These creatures are possibly history's most successful predators." This is what "boss monsters" should be in TFC. Born predators with all of evolution and instinct on their side for killing. Compared to Humble Medieval Man and his pointed sticks. These beasts should be raised above others for their ferocity and given to the status of "Boss"! Not something bold and unique, like an eye-roll-inducing spider jockey. Obviously, I'm exaggerating a lot. Even the Roman Empire was able to capture and slay great number of Apex Predators in their Colosseum. While it shows their appreciation for the murder-power of these animals. It proves man's domination of the wild from a measurable point in TFC. In the closed scope of this mod, perhaps an exception could be made? This is a survival game after all and we are equipped with only the most basic tools for survival.

Well whatever the complainants are, I like it

but a lot of people might not be comfortable with eating the thing sleeping at their feet while they play.

But if you where going to eat the said thing sleeping at your feet, it wouldn't be sleeping at your feet in the first place, would it?

While I'm fine with dog meat or wolf meat or whatever, I would be really put off if I had to eat my pet.....

But I'd like drops from wolves/dogs, as that will open up a new farmable animal(always a plus in my opinion), and when out pet dies, it'll give us something to remember it by or something

Plus, farming dogs for leather/meat gives the additional plus of being able to turn your farm into an army in a pinch

Hi everybody,

It's now ... two weeks since i downloaded the mod and played. And when my avatar sits in his camp in front of the firepit, waiting for sunrise, i gone reading about the Mod and extensions or Ideas for. So i came to register here.

For my opinion TFC is not as easy as minecraft, but if you manage to spend the night inside your camp/shelter, it's right peaceful. So i made my thoughts about the game.

I had the same Ideas as Aldebaran, cause I am with TFC in a nice stone age survival, but in the game i'm more a gatherer than a hunter. Adding animals who doesn't run around aimlessly, but getting angry and fight back, make hunting less easy.

So one solution can be that in the world only spawn bisons, mouflons and boars who defend themselves and didn't ever follow your grain(and DID NOT like to be melked/sheared ^^). The domesticated cows, sheeps and pigs can be their offsprings. Having only a smal chance for domesticated offsprings by feeding wild animals extend the hunting-gatherer-age.

Or think of some travel outside your camp, searching for wood, stones or whatever else, when you recognice some gras sounds or snarl behind you, realising a Lion/Tiger/smilodon sneaking to you(mob that follow you some time before attack, instead of attacking straight forward) - this ads difficult and flavor to the game -  and can realy change the "go to the supermarket nature" to "fight/run for your life" ;)

I had such days by playing the better than wolves mod when a angry wolf founded me cutting wood.

i also thought about small animals, but i ended the idea in another but very small growth of difficult.

Why not make rabbits, rats and crows spawn on farmland? Since humans do agriculture, they plagued with these critters, cause these critters steal/damage the crops. This would also lead to ways to fight the critters(traps, snares, tamed wolfes may attack them) avoid them(scarecrows) and to store some seeds for second sowing when the rabbits eat all carrot-plants.

More animals, if realised, will end in more meat, hide and bones. This needs for some adjustment and crafting recipes, before copper age.

smashing bones for splitters(hammer+bone=splitters)

carving tools and weapons(harpune for fishing, arrowheads)

Hide-armor(low durability leather armor)

or maybe just some decorativ hides around the fire pit.

I got some further Ideas, or better i thought my Ideas one step further.

buffalos/mouflons/Boars

- spawn and despawn in the wilderness

- not attracted of grain

- flee/defend themselves when player comes near or try milking/sheering

- changed to domesticated cows/sheep/pigs through catching or breeding(i know there is a TFC Addon already existing for)

- domesticated animals didn't despawn

rabbits/rats/crows

- may spawn on farmland

- attack crops

- attacked by wolves

- may catched/killed with traps

- traps are build of sticks and are placed on the ground. ground picture like the firepit

- crows can't spawn near scarecrows made of sticks and straw(or planks and straw for later access)

Predators(the Lion/tiger/smilodon Idea)

- spawn day and night in tall gras(player couldn't go out of home without weapon, but able to make safely places by cutting tall gras)

- despawn like mobs

- attack player
- 2 block long animal but not higher than tall gras(for hiding in tall gras)
- make hissing noise when attack, but walk noisless(creeper feeling but without BOOM)

craftings
- knife+bone = carving for harpunes/arrowheads
- raw Hide armor for low durability armor and cold weather protection
- dekorativs

One new idea(cause of reading in the wiki chicken-spawn problem)
-.nests spawn on gras(like wild plants) and are a ground picture like firepit
- chickens spawn near nests
- chickens are limited to 1 chicken per nest in the chunk
- nests may taken and placed by the player(so they can have their own chicken farm)

@WintersfreundWow, that was like a suggestion within a suggestion. Suggest-ception. Some neat ideas there, but farmland spawning small animals and movable/replaceable chicken nests seem like really easy ways to get infinite food. And bone arrowheads could work, but I think arrowheads are commonly made from flint (correct me if I'm wrong). @AllenWLYeah, I can see how some players might be... offended(?) if they need to eat their best friend, patches, because they ran out of pigs to kill. Might be kind of a controversial subject, but in the end, I think anyone would do what they had to do in a survival situation. 

@AllenWLYeah, I can see how some players might be... offended(?) if they need to eat their best friend, patches, because they ran out of pigs to kill. Might be kind of a controversial subject, but in the end, I think anyone would do what they had to do in a survival situation. 

My point is, if you are fond of your dog, you wouldn't be eating it in the first place and if you got that dog for the purpose of eating it, then you wouldn't mind eating it.

If they where the type of person to get offended(?) if they need to eat their best friend, patches, because they ran out of pigs to kill, then they would look for an alternative food source before slaughtering their pet.

I'm saying having dogs/wolves drop meat/pelt/etc would be fine because if you get put off at the thought of eating dog, you simply don't have to eat it, and you can use the meat to make a grave for your pet or something. And if you will eat it, great, you have a animal that you get food and leather from, and can use to hunt as well.

@WintersfreundWow, that was like a suggestion within a suggestion. Suggest-ception. Some neat ideas there, but farmland spawning small animals and movable/replaceable chicken nests seem like really easy ways to get infinite food. And bone arrowheads could work, but I think arrowheads are commonly made from flint (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Seems like it. What's to prevent players from just tilling a ton of land and making a mob farm in the stone age, or to prevent players from killing a chicken over and over?

On a side note, I don't think arrowheads where ever made out of bone, just stone, flint, and metals. But fishing hooks where made of bone

farmland-mob-farm can be prevented by giving the critters no meat when diying, or meat thats only filling like vegetables cause they are small.

nests-infinite-food con be prevented by becoming nests a rare discovery. when did you find a nests on the ground in the wilderness? the are very good hided.

Bone-Arrowheads - just searching google for this two words gives many sites and pictures. I by myself are a medieval fan, and Spear-fan. The best javelin i ever build was with a head of deer horn. ok, some would say horn is not bone, but i think we needn't to go such detailed in the game.

At my current TFC Game i have an easy infinite food source, my camp is near a River and i found nearly every second day a calamari.

;)

Nests are already confirmed for B78. You are able to craft them, and nearby hens will path towards them and sit in them to lay their eggs. The nest can only hold 4 eggs, and if there is a rooster nearby the eggs will become fertilized, and eventually hatch into chicks.

Currently Existing Mobs: This section makes it somewhat obvious that you haven't read through the suggestion forum as required by the rules, since there has already been extensive discussion on this, as well as a fairly recent topic explicitly suggesting re-textures (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5236-alternatives-for-magical-mobs/). The large spiders, zombies and skeletons are planned to be moved underground once there are more believable hostile mobs roaming the surface. These mystical creatures will be found in more believable environments such as scary caves, or possibly even underground dungeons or crypts.

I actually did read through the suggestions threads a looking for something a bit similar (the one you posted is in discussions not suggestions) and found a few things but nothing that was aiming toward the main point I was trying to make.  That point being not simply a recolor but allowing the player, if they are hungry enough, to hunt humanoids for food, the other recolor stuff was just aesthetics that I felt tied in with the rest. 

I am glad that the magical mobs are going underground, I don't mind them being in the game at all, but it turns a game that should feel more '10,000 BC" into "10,000 Years ago... on the walking dead".

Dogs and Cats both have been used for meat for many years but popular culture makes us try to wash away the actions of our forefathers.  I can understand if Dunk doesn't want to put it in as people are squeemish about it (although I wouldn't compare its gross factor to that of a pixelated cow excretions or the thrills of castrating a wild boar).  Having said that though if nothing else adding that as a drop could make a strong external mod (same as those bent on realism may want a seqoya sappling mod). 

Pro Tip: Cat meat is disgusting... it has a weird taste which I want to compare to the scent of old cat urine and is terribly stringy, big cats are a bit better still stringy. 

Is there any news on whether we will have to feed chickens to get them to lay fertilized eggs, or will they just make babies without player involvement?

There is no player involvement for chicken breeding other than crafting the nest, and moving a chicken and a rooster nearby.

There is no player involvement for chicken breeding other than crafting the nest, and moving a chicken and a rooster nearby.

So with one nest, one rooster, and one hen, we can get unlimited amounts of eggs and chickens for free?

I think there would be a limit to how much eggs a hen can lay in it's lifetime, no?

I'm just saying, it seems like with a few tweaks, you can basically make a infinite food farm where you can just go whenever you want, pick up the meat, then leave.

Well, not that I care much.....

Dunk was thinking about all mobs breeding on their own (at least in the wild) anyways.

Edit: Also, all those eggs and chicken meat is useless if it rots away.

Good point. And anyways, you only need so much meat, so the rest would really just end up wasting inventory space and probably get thrown out or make you use tons of clay and wood to store them all.

For the breeding on their own thing, what if animals only breed when healthy and full? The healthier and fuller they are, the more often they breed.

It means while you still need to feed them to make them breed(more actively), you can't just feed them wheat and have the animals instantly feel the need to breed(I swear, the crops in minecraft have strange chemicals in them). Having a block like a trough that animals eat out of when hungry would mean that with enough grain, you can make animals keep on eating and breeding even when you are not here, and would prevent animals on servers starving when you are not online and never breeding

My stance about the "I'm not comfortable eating this" is simple - "you DON'T HAVE TO". There's plenty of ways to discourage eating dogs, cats, horses and other cuddly things without outright saying "no, you can't do it because you just can't". Most of cases related to this topic relates to animals most of us wouldn't naturally think of eating, for one thing. For other thing, making the meat less filling, more resource-consuming (horses, for example, require MUCH larger pastures and are giving MUCH less meat compared to a cow) is a way I'd like to see it go. With all this talk about cavemen, I'm really surprised by the amounts of "no, that's not okay for a caveman to do" stuff.

And about spider jockey mentioned somewhere above - I've seen a creeper riding a spider the other day. Now THAT is a sight to be terrified of.

With all this talk about cavemen, I'm really surprised by the amounts of "no, that's not okay for a caveman to do" stuff.

Completely missing the point of why it isn't being added to the game. It isn't because the developers think it isn't okay for the players to engage in this behavior, it's because the developers aren't comfortable coding the item/mechanic and would not be proud to show the mod with these mechanics included to their families. The point isn't "this is taboo in my culture, so it's going to be taboo in game." The point is "I as a developer don't want my name on something that has penises, poop and cannibals in the code that I authored."

Completely missing the point of why it isn't being added to the game. It isn't because the developers think it isn't okay for the players to engage in this behavior, it's because the developers aren't comfortable coding the item/mechanic and would not be proud to show the mod with these mechanics included to their families. The point isn't "this is taboo in my culture, so it's going to be taboo in game." The point is "I as a developer don't want my name on something that has penises, poop and cannibals in the code that I authored."

I completely understand developers' point. I do not understand others' point. Look, I specifically said that I'm saying my opinion about "I'm not okay eating this", not about "I don't want to code this".

A bit random, and a tad off topic although given it is my own thread and the direction it is going I feel slightly less bad for doing so.... Is there any reason why an add-on mod to Terrafirmacraft couldn't be developed.  Something like the "Terrafirmacraft Hyper Realism Ultra Mega Patch MK9001" that adds in things the original developers left out for balance/proprietary reasons.  A mod that would function alongside TFC but add things like Wolf Meat, Seqoya Sapplings, animal guts, muskets etc?  It seems like something like this could be fairly simple for those of us who would like these things added.  Thoughts, concerns, prayer requests?