Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
BabyJesusz

TConstruct-esque tools

20 posts in this topic

WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN QUESTIONED BEFORE?

One thing that I've always wanted with TFC, is the gameplay function of personal/strategically well designed  tools. Different shaped sword bits, all parts of tools with different statistics, naming your tool and custom textures(Made easier with overlay type textures)! Tinker's Construct mod has done it, why not us? TFC would be much cooler with a tool-forging system like this!(Or at least similar to this)

Even a new use for gems!

If the devs deem this an unworthy idea, maybe an addon could be created. I For one think this is brilliant, and friends of mine agree.

Just a simple request, sorry for the over-enthusiasm.

Thanks!

Its possible, but very work intensive. With the beginings of machines and other systems being implemented it might be wise to finish (somewhat) a hand full of overhauls before they undertake a complete tool/ item rework.

I'd like doing that.

Adding gem inlays to my swords,  and having gold-trimmed hilts

I'd like the ability to change the pommel, hilt, hilt guard, and blade on the sword and such

things that don't really change what the sword does, but enables you to show off.

But I'd imagine that needs loads of id's for all the different items.

As AllenWL stated, this would require using up a whole bunch more IDs for everything. On top of that, all of the tinkering would essentially be aesthetics since the majority of TiCon modifiers aren't exactly believable. It doesn't exactly make sense to why adding redstone to the handle of a tool makes it work faster, or adding lapis makes the block you mine magically produce more ore, and adding moss to something is more likely to make the tool useless or do even more damage, than to somehow magically slowly repair the tool.

...the majority of TiCon modifiers aren't exactly believable. It doesn't exactly make sense to why adding redstone to the handle of a tool makes it work faster, or adding lapis makes the block you mine magically produce more ore, and adding moss to something is more likely to make the tool useless or do even more damage, than to somehow magically slowly repair the tool.

Yeah, this part doesn't seem applicable to TFC. But the seperate tool/weapon parts, I think, could make a good addon. Bones and other rod-shaped materials could potentially be used as handles, and different metals could be used to create different parts of the same sword. As long as it was still at least somewhat believable. The modifiers like lapis and moss, however, seem like that would be a lot of work to just turn TFC into a generic T. Construct mod, disposing of 'believability' completely. 

Could make a new tool durability mechanic that takes the strengths of each material used to make them into account.

a weapon with a gold blade would dull/ be usless faster than one with a hardened steel one.

but various things could affect this, a steel handle would improve an iron sword by providing a stronger base than a wooden grip and so on.

Could make a new tool durability mechanic that takes the strengths of each material used to make them into account.

a weapon with a gold blade would dull/ be usless faster than one with a hardened steel one.

but various things could affect this, a steel handle would improve an iron sword by providing a stronger base than a wooden grip and so on.

Brainstorming for what each part could do? count me in!

Bone is easily gotten from animals, but has little usage.

Bone handles would be producible in large qualities with a good farm, enabling you to use your sticks for other things, but bone should be brittle and slightly lower durability.

Plank handles would provide much better durability then sticks, and because it's a strong firm base with a better grip, your swords, javelins, and maces would deal more damage, and blocking should block more damage as well.

Handles with leather wrapping(?) would have better grip, so would enable you to do things better.

A bow made of planks instead of sticks would be able to fire arrows much farther and better then a bow made of sticks, and a yew bow would be much better then say, a bow made of pine(does pine and yew even exist in TFC anyways? Don't know much about making bows and they where the only examples I could think of)

you could add gems to make a diamond blade for faster cutting(it's supposed to be for mechanical saws, but.........)

A broadsword blade can deal more damage than a normal blade, but be slower due to weight(or something)

A rapier blade(if it's called that) can deal less damage than a normal blade, but get blocked less(both by armor and blocking with a sword(or anything else that can block)

A khopesh blade can have a chance of making your opponent drop the equipped item on hit with a higher chance for disarming if the item is being used(a sword that's blocking or attacking, items being placed, javelin/bow about to fire, etc)(or, it could be that only an item being used can be disarmed)

Also, I don't think that a Tconstruct like forging system would not be added because it's simple, I like the way you hammer out the tools manually.

Brainstorming for what each part could do? count me in!

Bone is easily gotten from animals, but has little usage.

Bone handles would be producible in large qualities with a good farm, enabling you to use your sticks for other things, but bone should be brittle and slightly lower durability.

Plank handles would provide much better durability then sticks, and because it's a strong firm base with a better grip, your swords, javelins, and maces would deal more damage, and blocking should block more damage as well.

Handles with leather wrapping(?) would have better grip, so would enable you to do things better.

A bow made of planks instead of sticks would be able to fire arrows much farther and better then a bow made of sticks, and a yew bow would be much better then say, a bow made of pine(does pine and yew even exist in TFC anyways? Don't know much about making bows and they where the only examples I could think of)

you could add gems to make a diamond blade for faster cutting(it's supposed to be for mechanical saws, but.........)

A broadsword blade can deal more damage than a normal blade, but be slower due to weight(or something)

A rapier blade(if it's called that) can deal less damage than a normal blade, but get blocked less(both by armor and blocking with a sword(or anything else that can block)

A khopesh blade can have a chance of making your opponent drop the equipped item on hit with a higher chance for disarming if the item is being used(a sword that's blocking or attacking, items being placed, javelin/bow about to fire, etc)(or, it could be that only an item being used can be disarmed)

The original post was just something that I scribbled up while I was tired, but reading the replies, I realized I could elaborate a bit more.

What I was originally aiming at was just the Tcon function of building your own tools. No modifiers(Although I like the idea of different materials making the tool have different properties) and the TCon forging system is also a big no. Maybe an upgrade on the anvil interface, since plans are basically being scrapped in B77 we could have multiple 'final 3' hits/etc for different blades and stuff, while still keeping the TFC forge system. I have thought about a system for the gems, which needs heavy work, but oh well. Embedding a gem into a weapon's hilt or something could give the player a type of 'buff', making enemy attacks have a chance of dealing "Negative critical hits", kind of like a superstition or 'fear' of the person wielding the sword, making their attacks weaker sometimes. The better quality the gem, the higher the level.

plans are basically being scrapped in B77 we could have multiple 'final 3' hits/etc for different blades and stuff

We could also use the 'wield' thing in the anvil to connect different parts instead of just crafting them.

To clarify, stone tools would be crafted like normal, but metal tools and weapons would be possible to 'modify' by using different parts.

Then, you would use an anvil to 'wield' the different parts together.

Ex: you could make a wood hilt via crafting, a steel sword blade via forging, and a copper hilt guard, also by forging.

Then, you wield the hilt and hilt guard together to make a sword hilt, then wield that with a sword blade to make a sword.

Materials used to make to the hilt, hilt guard, and blade would slightly change the stats of the completed sword.

The word you are looking for is "weld."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding

Which only makes sense for combining metal components. Wooden/stone pieces would have to be attached via another method such as glue or wrapping with leather strips or rope.

Embedding a gem into a weapon's hilt or something could give the player a type of 'buff', making enemy attacks have a chance of dealing "Negative critical hits", kind of like a superstition or 'fear' of the person wielding the sword, making their attacks weaker sometimes. The better quality the gem, the higher the level.

This wanders a bit too close into the idea of magic and fantasy since there is no scientific explanation of why that works. The embedding could still be used just to make things look pretty, but wouldn't serve any purpose beyond that.

This wanders a bit too close into the idea of magic and fantasy since there is no scientific explanation of why that works. The embedding could still be used just to make things look pretty, but wouldn't serve any purpose beyond that.

Light reflects off the gem and gets into the eye of your opponent, messing with their aim

(kind of a stupid reason, but it works... somewhat)

That's definitely quite the stretch. The sword would have to be held at exactly the right angle for the light to reflect into the opponent's line of sight, and as soon as you moved the sword to attack, the glare would be gone.

Yea, forget the whole gem effects.

Although having various parts able to be added to weapons and tools, you open up the opportunity to have non magical based enchanting.

An example would be having serrated blades add a bleeding effect, causing a mild dot.

For the sake of dealing with zombies and skeletons, silver coating can provide the smite effect.

Platinum can be used for a durability upgrade 

There's more to this idea than just weapons I believe. So far, this thread seems to be focusing on swords, which is not a bad example, but perhaps missing the point. When making an axe the choice of wood used for the handle is just as important as the head. You wouldn't want to use a brittle wood like pine, but hickory or ash would be much better. This would improve the overall durability of the tool. But back to swords. The hilts of swords were commonly made out of wood with a covering of various materials; decorative wood, rayskin, leather, wire; but it was mostly superficial. There was no real "tier" system of better handles over worse ones. What mattered was the blade composition, and TFC already has a metal tier system that is realistic. While this idea is cool, and would certainly add use for precious metals, gems, and minerals; it wouldn't "add" anything of worth to the mod.

I know, that was what I wanted to change. Although this is the only way I thought adding different quality gems to the blade. The effect I was looking for was more of a PVE style 'chance' modifier. Like something to do with the improved combat systems being talked about, this could add a chance of something happening on occasion during battles. Maybe I am thinking to much about RPGs but I feel an AI redesign would benefit this idea and keep it away from 'magic'. But aside from all of that, I know how difficult AI coding is, and I agree with Kitty here.

Well, for the naturally occurring metals in tfc (those in real life) platinum is the hardest. As a blacksmith I have worked just about every type of metal and alloy you can imagine, platinum is a bastard to craft with and holds a sharp edge for a very long time. By melting a metal or alloy, then dipping a blade in the liquid metal (if the blade can survive the heat) you can coat the blade in a second; harder and more expensive metal. this doesn't add much for raw strength but it will let the blade hold an edge for quite a bit longer (depending on the metals- a titanium dipped steel blade will stay sharp even after extensive use)

While I like the idea, I can't see it adding anything worthwhile. Only materials we can use are metals and wood. And only high tier of metals would pose a challenge to get. Only thing that would change is the process of making the weapons and tools, the end result would be the same as it is right now. And I don't think the effort needed to implement this justifies such change.

I'd like doing that.

Adding gem inlays to my swords,  and having gold-trimmed hilts

I'd like the ability to change the pommel, hilt, hilt guard, and blade on the sword and such

things that don't really change what the sword does, but enables you to show off.

But I'd imagine that needs loads of id's for all the different items.

As AllenWL stated, this would require using up a whole bunch more IDs for everything. On top of that, all of the tinkering would essentially be aesthetics since the majority of TiCon modifiers aren't exactly believable. It doesn't exactly make sense to why adding redstone to the handle of a tool makes it work faster, or adding lapis makes the block you mine magically produce more ore, and adding moss to something is more likely to make the tool useless or do even more damage, than to somehow magically slowly repair the tool.

No, no more Ids than there currently is. Look at TConstruct carefully, the id is taken by a whole-material tool, like full iron sword, and id is determined by the type of toolhead. Iron sword with stone handle and iron sword with wooden handle is the same id as iron sword with iron handle. Now tell me, how's that more ids than TFC tools currently take up? If anything, it's a way to merge all stone tools into one id. What undoubtedly WILL take ids are those handles and hilts, bindings and stuff. Though I'm not really seeing the point of giving, for exapmle, all handles their separate item ids - it's only bad for testing, and it's okay for gameplay and code-wise, once proper plugging interface is worked out.

While I like the idea, I can't see it adding anything worthwhile. Only materials we can use are metals and wood. And only high tier of metals would pose a challenge to get. Only thing that would change is the process of making the weapons and tools, the end result would be the same as it is right now. And I don't think the effort needed to implement this justifies such change.

This agrument can be made about smithing too, you know. At the end of the day, you getting a pick both ways, it doesn't really matter if you cast a bronze pick of craft it on a workbench. Aside from the fact that workbench requires metal tools in itself and mod tries to move as far away from "all this done on a workbench" approach as possible, from what I can tell.