Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
snaketokill

light sorces

6 posts in this topic

We have only torches and lava for light so I thought I should nail this up there

-lantern: large lamp for light houses

-coke lamp: turns coal into coke and make light wail this is going.

-chandelier: made of gold and looks nice

ty for reading!

I don't remember seeing one, but are you sure a thread about this hasn't already been made somewhat recently? I know light sources are often brought up in other threads, so this is a good place to condense the ideas if one hasn't already been made. 

Anyway, lanterns for lighthouses? Those - as far as I know - are very different from the lanterns people used to carry around when they thought their house was being raided or something (more specifically, they are much larger). Smaller lanterns seem like a much more practical idea for additional light sources. But as far as lighthouses go, in Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, the lighthouses are lit with large firepits. That's really all I know in terms of early lighthouses. 

As for Chandeliers, I did some quick research on Wikipedia and found that:
-The earliest chandeliers (in medieval times) were often "...wooden crosses, with spikes on which candles were secured. They were hoisted to a suitable height, hooked on a rope or chain."
-The chandeliers that I believe you are thinking of came later, in the 15th century, and were actually "ornate cast ormolu". Ormolu is actually bronze with a layer of gold adhered to it - not solid gold. 

Lighthouses would have only begun to use lanterns once mirrors were good enough to magnify the light properly. It's likely that lighthouses would have just been bonfires, yes.

I always thought new lighting options should come from fire clay. Since it doesn't have a whole lot of use. And would put advanced lighting at a later stage of gameplay, without restricting players by metal availability. Here is a suped up example.

Fire Clay BrazierFill it with 4 pieces of coal. Light it. In this default state, it burns like a torch (Luminance 14) and burns forever.Throw additional coal in the brazier to activate it.In the activated state the brazier generates invisible light producing blocks in a 5x1x5 area around it. (Meaning there is a solid 5x1x5 of Light Level 14))Making a solid area of light. Hopefully enough to light a whole room. Or 2 on either side of a road/bridge to light the whole thing, when fuelled.Once the coal runs out, these light blocks slowy disappear.It generates a decent amount of heat. If ambient heat/body temperature is important.Wrought Iron Bar Brazier?Bands of iron. Given the walls are not solid. The Wrought Iron Brazier burns for less duration per coal piece. But creates a 7x1x7 area of 14 Luminance.

Seriously though it doesnt seem like there are many reasons to have a new item to generate light. Since it would just be a torch, that looks different. Better off making some neat looking designs to hide torches.

I think it would be cool to have a handheld source, perhaps a lantern? I do think handheld sources should have a 'lifetime' or need fuel, for balance reasons, and so that its not just a torch. 

If you want a handheld source of light, try the Dynamic Lights mod:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/184426-172-dynamic-lights-handheld-torches-moving-lightsources/

The vanilla lighting engine is pretty wonky, so it would require a lot of work to add that functionality to TFC, especially when you can already just add another mod that does it.