Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
abculatter_2

Sugar and Paper

10 posts in this topic

This is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for most of the day, and I think I've refined it well enough to post this.

First, I due to these suggestions making sugar cane more valuable, it should become rarer, and with a slower growth rate.

As for the actual suggestions, I propose that we replace the current crafting table recipes for sugar and paper with a few processing steps: First, placing sugar canes into a quern will yield two things: Cane Juice, and Cane Mash. (This is also a great time to suggest that the quern either gain a liquid inventory for pressing liquids out of things, such as oil out of olives, or add a block which can be placed under the quern to act as the tank. Since this is useful for many things beyond this suggestion, I think that this is worth doing even if this sugar processing suggestion isn't used)

Cane juice can be taken out with a vessel or jug, and can be drank to increase both your thirst and hunger bars by a small amount, but without nutritional benefit. If the juice is in a vessel, it can be heated to evaporate the water, providing a vessel filled with a few pieces of sugar. (Maintaining the previous yield of one cane = one sugar seems fine, perhaps somewhat randomized, and obviously a vessel should be capable of carrying more then one cane's worth of juice)

Sugar can then be used as an additive to food, similar to salt, to increase its food bar gain as well as acting as a weaker preservative then salt. (Sugar absorbs water similarly to salt, causing it to act as a preservative, which is one of the reasons why jams/jellies use it. For balance reasons, it should be considerably weaker then salt, maybe 50% less preservative power?) There may also be other uses for sugar which I'm unaware of, if you have another idea for sugar uses that fit the time frame please feel free to suggest.

Sugar mash, meanwhile, can be pounded/ground again in a quern to squeeze out more liquid as well as pulverize it further, then dried either by placing it on the ground for awhile or, if a drying rack/whatever is ever implemented, that would be great as well. When the mash is finished drying, it can be picked up as paper. Alternatively, the mash can be used as compost if/when that is implemented.

cows love sugar cane and horses love sugar cubes,

And of course, alcohol.

Well, obviously rum should be available. :P

Also, it was brought up in IRC that the Quern isn't the best thing to use for this, so I therefore propose the addition of a manual press. This would also be useful beyond this suggestion as a machine functionally identical to the quern, but with a liquid collection tank.

You could also add a pre-processing step of smashing the cane into mash with either a hammer or mortar and pestle first, then pressing it into pulp and cane juice. That would seem slightly pedantic to me, though.

Well, obviously rum should be available. :P

I think rum is available

Yeah, you can already make rum using sugar cane in a barrel of water.

Yeah, you can already make rum using sugar cane in a barrel of water.

Yeah I just forgot about that.

I think too that sugar canes shouldn't grow on very dry or template climates, perhaps we could add sugar beets?