Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Wayward

Ideas about food preservation.

125 posts in this topic

what about an ice box, you give it ice and the food, and it keeps food cold so it doesnt go bad

good suggestion though

It would be nice if fruits could be preserved as jams or jellies in glass jars, and with the new glassblowing mechanics being a possibility, this would be a nice addition.  

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Suggestion, merged into older existing one.

It'd be simple, put some fruits and sugar in a pot/pan/jar, then boil it over a fire for a long time

I also thought about drying fruits. Reduce 90% of its weight, increase thrirst, but therefore much slower decay.

I like both the idea of jarred/bottled preserves and dried fruits. They could behave more or less the same as normal role (maybe with some minor drawbacks, or not), so no increased complexity; just preserved. +1 to this idea!

I'd also like that, it'd help with living in warmer climate. The way game right now it, living in tundra is simply far easier. However, I think this thread should be merged with food preservation suggestion thread.

I made a little video with my idea for a smokehouse multiblock structure.  Suggestion Thread

For those who don't want to go to the other thread, the basic idea is to have a craftable grill/rack type of item that you could place your raw meat on, put charcoal underneath and light it up.  If it's in a closed room, you should be able to come back after a few hours to smoked meat ready for storage for the winter.  Link to video

I think jam or mermelade would be very usefull. All the fruit is harvested so close in time and their decay is so quick. Maybe, making mermelade or jam there will be a way to make it last longer (just as it is done in reallity). Maybe mixing fruit with sugar, even fruit with sugar and water, then boiling it, or something like that. This way, as grain can be used to make bread, fruit could be used to make a food, mermelade in this case, so you can keep it longer. As for bread, this mermelade might be used to make meals.

I hope you like my suggestion.

PD: I forgot to say that juices could be nice too!

Edited by Kittychanley

All this talk of jams and jellies is getting repetitive and a little annoying.

It's been discussed. The answer is no. Those are both very modern inventions.

If fruit is going to be a preservable item the ONLY logical way to do it is drying. My grandparents live in British Columbia and they make dried pears, apricots, apples and plums. Those things taste great. They'll make you thirsty but you can leave them on the counter for days with no worries. 

Please, If you insist on bringing up the same exact idea over and over and over again, at least make sure it's a good idea.

No. Jams.

Definitely, being able to dry meats and fruits is a good idea! But what about grains? Sure, they already have the slowest decay rate, but grains should be able to be stored for a VERY long time. If stored properly (using modern techniques, however), some grains can last 25 years.

I think a great implementation would be to store grain inside of barrels. Grain should be stored in dry places, so, to be able to seal a barrel with grain inside, the barrel should be in a spot with zero sunlight. Zero sunlight would a suitable way to call the area dry, considering sunlight levels usually correspond with how far inside something is.

I say that as long as the barrel is sealed, the grain inside would not decay AT ALL. Why? It makes sense considering the lifespan of grain and normal food usage of players. You should be able to put this year's harvest inside a barrel, and be able to open it to use before the next harvest without any decay.

A barrel should be able to hold up to 1280 oz. of just one type of grain. That's 8 x 160 oz. portions.

This may have been discussed, but I just joined the forum, and had to add to this topic. What do you guys think? Is this too op? Should some method of drying the grain be used before sealing it in a barrel?

I don't know about sealing grains inside a barrel for zero decay, but I wouldn't be against some kind of multi-block granary to minimize grain decay to very low levels. Grains may last a long time because they're basically dry seeds, but you've got to watch out for rodents, bugs, and other animals that will pick away at your stores.

Most traditional granaries are elevated off the ground to make it more difficult for animals to get in. Perhaps we could require that it be elevated on fenceposts or lumber?

Edit: Idea spun off into this topic: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6002-granary-multiblock-structure-for-grain-preservation/

I didn't even know there was a talk about this, my post was moved. Eventhough, if you say jam is modern, so I do about sugar, quite a lot modern, since it is refined. But if you look for info about mermelade, you will find out greeks did it with honey and quinces. So, I think it would be old enough. Who knows if older cultures made mermelade?Dryed food seems usefull too, but I don't understand why you say absolutely no to jams, I don't think they are incompatible. I think that jams are a good way to make sugar usefull, along with preservate fruit. It could be similar as for meat, 'cause when you mix salt and raw meat, it last longer, so fruit with sugar could make it last longer too, transforming them to jam.

Also I think juices could be a good idea, mixing them with water, or make a juicer. I don't think you could say juices are a new invention, just press a lemon with your hands in a glass with lemonade and you are done.

Also I don't think newness is quite important, as long as you have glass in the game, even glass bottles, that are a quite new invention.

So don't be so rude with the proposal of other people as if you are the master of good ideas.

I don't know about sealing grains inside a barrel for zero decay, but I wouldn't be against some kind of multi-block granary to minimize grain decay to very low levels. Grains may last a long time because they're basically dry seeds, but you've got to watch out for rodents, bugs, and other animals that will pick away at your stores.

Most traditional granaries are elevated off the ground to make it more difficult for animals to get in. Perhaps we could require that it be elevated on fenceposts or lumber?

Ah, yes! I'd been thinking of suggesting something like this myself, actually. This idea requires fleshing out though, please create a new topic for it and edit your post to link it

Drying realy seems the best preservation method. it works better the warmer the weather is, so in cold region we have to store the food in cellar and in warm region we could dry it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

i chisseld a prototyp of a dry-stand. the third picture shows another idea - smoking with the tool-racks.

both methods should decrease decay rate by 50% like salting. Salting and smoking creat Beacon(new food, slowest decay rate)

One Idea from my Job - i'm Baker - Dough should decay from fresh to sour about a day.

Normal bread 1* less satisfiyng than sour-dough-bread and higher decay-rate.

additional: removing rice-bread, it's creatable, but really diffilcult to make bread from rice, better eat raw/cooked rice.

$#!7 yeah, BAAAACOOOONNNNN!!!!

[rant]Bacon is not simply salted dried meat though, it is SMOKED meat (important difference taste wise) and the thing that makes Bacon so magical in it's various forms

(Belly bacon AKA "classic" bacon, Jowl bacon, Canadian bacon, cottage bacon {my favorite}, and many, many more. Some Italian versions are even dry cured for months to attain a specific taste.)

Is, depending on the cut, curing process, and spices you can create many forms of the master price that is bacon. It is not simple dryed salted meat, it is smoked, fatty streaked pork in it's simplest definition.

I would know all this, I'm a pig farmer. [/rant]

If fruit is going to be a preservable item the ONLY logical way to do it is drying. My grandparents live in British Columbia and they make dried pears, apricots, apples and plums. Those things taste great. They'll make you thirsty but you can leave them on the counter for days with no worries.

Please, If you insist on bringing up the same exact idea over and over and over again, at least make sure it's a good idea.

No. Jams.

I think you're forgetting the various forms of pickling and alcohol based preservation. But yes, jam likely has no place in TFC :(

Well, so far, the ways of preserving foods discussed is

1. smoking meats

2. fruit into jam(disapproved)

3.dried meats and fruits

4.pickled fruits

5.ice house

6.granaries 

Well, I can't think of anything else to add.

So, opinions?

I think that jams are a good way to make sugar usefull, along with preservate fruit. It could be similar as for meat, 'cause when you mix salt and raw meat, it last longer, so fruit with sugar could make it last longer too, transforming them to jam.

You seem to be under the impression that because salt and sugar look the same they do the same thing.

You clearly don't understand decay. That's a problem seeing as this thread deals with food and decay.

Bacteria don't like salt. Adding salt to meat keeps the bacteria away.

Bacteria love sugar. Adding sugar to fruit pulp does nothing to slow bacterial growth.

The process that keeps it fresh is sealing in a sterile, airtight container and then heating it past boiling temperature.

I highly recommend you do research BEFORE you start talking. If you don't, someone else will come along, do research, and then tell you why you are wrong.

Well, I was told that sugar, like salt, draws moisture from foods, so while sugar in little amounts does nothing, adding lots of sugar to a food can and will slow down bacterial growth, and that is the reason that sugar and honey never really rots

But better safe then sorry, right?

So I looked up 'effects of sugar on bacterial growth' on google

What I learned is yes, sugar does help in preserving food, and jam, jelly, and candied fruits are all examples of preserving food with sugar.

But then again, just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true, so....

Anyways from my experience, using non-airtight, non-sterile for jam seems to keep it fresh just as well.

Although on second thought that might just be the fridge......

You're right Allen...bacteria evolved for a certain balance of salt and sugar.  Anything way outside that range doesn't support bacterial life.  In the case of sugar, it causes the bacteria to lose water that they lack the machinery to reclaim.  Without water, they cannot replicate, and thus, sugar in excess is indeed a functional preservative.  

Since no one has linked this yet, I'll do it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_preservation

I want this:

Cabbage + knife + vessel + salt = sauerkraut

Food preservation: containers, methods and more!

Intro:

For starters, I won't beat around the bush: I love Terra Firma Craft. However, I DO realize that its  not perfect(nothing is, so this isn't very descriptive) I had a few ideas brewing in my mind, and when I checked whit the keywords some topics posted similar posts but didn’t elaborate as mutch as I want to. So here is the first iteration of my posts concerning TFC. Note that I'm mostly not basing this post on historic facts, just what I would do if I was in TFC irl and wikipedia for most proceses.

Decay:

I have a shared opinion on tinkering whit the decay rate, mostly on smp servers. Most of this is due to the fact that sometimes I have mountains of food waiting to be gobbled, other times, usually during winter or when I log on after a bit, the food is crippled into dust. My solution is this:

• Make decay slower in preservation
  • Make decay faster out of preservation

The difference between preserved and in preservation is that one is inside a container created for persevering food while preserved food will have slower decay rates than normal food. Example:

Adding salt to meat is preserved

Putting meat slabs into salt barrels is preservation

Jars:

clay jars:

Clay jars is your first method of putting food in preservation. Jars can contain small items like berries, rocks, small arthropods and more. jars are made like this:

x:don’t click

o:do click

xooox

xooox

xxxxx

xooox

xooox

this will give you two jars molds that need kilning. once your berries are in, you need to seal the cap whit a:

Primitive Cork:

A primitive cork to seal your jars. To create it, you will need a knife. First, find a tree, than, whit your knife, break (left hold click) the log: it will scrape off the bark and give you bark as an item, which you can use as a stone age building block. The bark will regrow as longs it’s a whole tree (not a cut down one) now, right click a new log and sap will come out of the tree. To now craft your cork you need sap and bark bits (bark in the craft grid) to get said sap off the tree, either fill a jar of it, or use bark to scoop it out. Once it's out craft whit the bits and some hay as primitive string to get a primitive cork. To seal your jar (which will greatly augment how long before it rots) just craft them together. Once sealed you cannot tell what is inside a jar, needing to unseal it. However, primitive tags sutch as leaves can be attached for identification.

Glass Jar:

Use glass to create this this jar (other posts talk about glassblowing better than this one). Due to its nature you can see what is inside a sealed glass jar at all times. Glass jars also have no chance of breaking when being heated up (clay jars do).  It will also conserve food better if used whit the

Cork:

The modern cork is made using Cork Oak bark (new tree). The process is however more complicated: First grind the bark in a quern. After receiving cork bits, craft nine together in your grid to make a small wet cork slab. Place it in the sun or near a fire pit (it CAN burn) wait for it to dry up. Once you have you cork slab, right click whit a knife to get four corks. The cork slab on its own can be used as an insulative (body temperature update?) building material.

Preservation methods:

Using the jars, two kinds of preservation come to mind: pickling and paste creation(jelly)

Pickling:

Pickling is dousing a food inside substance whit high contents of antibacterial. Fill your jar whit either vinegar and or salt water; feta cheese from pickled cheese and pickles from cucumbers (new vegetable), alcohol (rum for now); can preserve fruits in the jar (will lose hunger value as alcohol degrades sugar).

Jams (and other things):

Jams are a well known method of preservation: the high sugar content and sealing makes it one of the best ways to preserve things. Jams are simply berries inside a jar that you heat up in your fire pit. Berry mixes are allowed. Adding sugar to it will augment taste (food size) and longevity (how long until it goes bad). A misc jam that really isn't a jam is ketchup, using tomatoes instead of berries. You can add sugar and/or salt to your ketchup. Another interesting jam is mustard. Mustard needs mustard seeds (new grain, but I'm not sure I want bread out of that, yuck) which needs grinding in a quern and catched by a jar. (did I implement everything wee need for a hamburger? I think I did!). jam-like methods of preservation should reduce the total amount of food you inputed,probably 1/2 less.

More Methods:

Barrel storage:

Fill a barrel whit salt and store your meat and fish inside for long periods of time. Same thing whit sugar, but whit fruits.

Thanks for reading my post and please consider these ideas, if you have anny suggestions please post them in the comments.

Edited by Kittychanley

Firstly, food preservation suggestions are already quite abundant here. I don't mean to belittle your input, but there are many other threads you could have added to. Heck, "more food preservation" is the first thing in the suggestion directory... Did you read that before posting?

• Make decay slower in preservation
  • Make decay faster out of preservation

Agreed. Bioxx has stated several times that there are going to be more methods of preservation coming soon. Perhaps when that happens the base decay rate will be increased. Build79's barrel re-write will allow you to store both liquids and solids inside. A sealed barrel of food will likely behave a lot like your jar idea.

If Jams are ever added, I think they should produce half or less of the foodweight of the input fruit, for the sake of balance. Fruit's rapid decay makes fruit somewhat challenging and I'd hate to see that challenge dissappear entirely.

I say instead of making a new tree(cork oak) just for cork, just use the existing oak tree.

I don't like ketchup, and hamburgers really don't fit in TFC I think

Would like sandwiches though.

But I do like the fact that all preservation methods have some sort of debuff of the food, so you really have to think of you want to preserve this food or just eat it before it rots

I was hesitant about adding in a new tree to, but its either:

We add it

Or

We assume present oak is cork oak

Debuffs of food preservation are true, but some foods get more out of preserving, esspetialy cucumbers. Did you ever eat a cucumber? It tastes like Water. So pikling it might make it tastier... But there still is the sealed jar thing.

No. Jams.

ahem.

<insert insult here ;)>

this is why jam isint a stupid addition.

1.yes, they ARE one of the fast decaying foods, but fill you so little too. if a peanalty for making jam is even LESS food, it will take litteraly tons to make a good supply for the winter

2. this argument is bogus:

Jelly's were invented in like, after tfc's timeframe because i serched it on one wikipedia page.

sure, if you go on wikipedia, it will say that jelly was invented by north-americans and exetera.

just look at these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmalade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confit#Fruit_confit

marmalade(witch is made of tree fruit) was invented by THE ROMANS.

so yes i think jams are staying

We add itOrWe assume present oak is cork oak

It's a game, so we could just pretend that oak has the same properties as every oak ever named oak.

It's believable enough I think