Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
silentveteren

Rich vs Poor ore

7 posts in this topic

I am not sure where I read it, but I believe it was stated that in a single ore vein, 50% of the vein would be normal, 30% would be rich and 20% would be poor. I do not sure if this is what is meant to be, but I have noticed that entire ore veins are of one type or another. Has anyone found a single vein with multiple values?

I too had that idea. But after I found some veins, I started to think that it actually meant "Whole vein is of rich, poor or normal with probability." But I'm not sure.

just found the quote, its in the patch notes of the main page

• [*]Added Poor and Rich ore to ore block drops. Poor ore will produce 15 metal units, while rich will produce 35. Veins should be roughly 20% rich, 30% poor, and 50% normal.

going to post in the support section

I've only found two veins since 78, and they were both uniform. One was all rich, the other was all poor. Honestly, I prefer it this way. When each block has a chance to be any of the above, there is no sense of excitement or disappointment. You know that a vein with 30 blocks will always produce roughly 30*(0.5 * 25 + 0.2 * 15 + 0.3 * 35). Basically, your functional average is equal to the parenthetical part of that equation, which each block producing an average of 26 ore units.

However, when the whole vein is one quality, there is a real tension as you break that first block, waiting to discover your fortune or fate.

Regards,

TT

I've only found two veins since 78, and they were both uniform. One was all rich, the other was all poor. Honestly, I prefer it this way. When each block has a chance to be any of the above, there is no sense of excitement or disappointment. You know that a vein with 30 blocks will always produce roughly 30*(0.5 * 25 + 0.2 * 15 + 0.3 * 35). Basically, your functional average is equal to the parenthetical part of that equation, which each block producing an average of 26 ore units.

However, when the whole vein is one quality, there is a real tension as you break that first block, waiting to discover your fortune or fate.

Regards,

TT

I some what agree with our friend TomatoThief. I enjoy the fact they've steped it up a notch. But they need to further that. With even adding more random elements. Not knowing all together whether or not the values would be the same. To totally change it to random values. Then to take it another step and add even more random elements. Like depending which layer it spawned in and the rock type. To randomize its values to another stage. The real fun of mining when you mine. Is not knowing what you'll find and how much of it. Just a thought anyway. That's how I would want it anyway.

The thing I love most about anything from games to mods. Is the randomness. The not knowing and unexpecting things that happen like in real life. Like natural disasters, thats for another day.

Quoting my post I put in the Support copy of this post:

Sorry for the confusion in the changelog. The 20/30/50% is for the entire world generation. So 20% of the veins in the world will be solid rich, 30% of the veins in the world will be solid poor, and the rest will be solid normal.

An idea I had about this rich/poor/normal being all dropped from single vein: It would be applicable if some kind of advanced processing method existed compared to what we have now. So you could mine out whole vein, but only part of it would be usable when processes with "primitive" method and you would need to develop the "advanced" one to process the other half. This would tie in that you could only process the rich ore with the primitive method and the normal and poor one with advanced method. Of course with changed percentages.