Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Yawooza

Animal carcasses

11 posts in this topic

The problem: as for now in the game killing an animal could become a burden because of inventory space.

The solution: "Animal carcass" item

In detail: Any animal on death would drop one Item only - Animal carcass, crafting the animal carcass with a knife will give off the raw hide and a "Skinned carcass" item holding the sum of meat it would normally drop. Then each time crafting that item with a knife will give off one piece of meat(160oz ) one at a time, taking the meat from the carcass item. cut the pieces of meat to store and preserve as the carcasses are too big to be put in a chest. Also carcasses should decay much faster(day or two) than the clean meat pieces because all of the impurities of the animal(organs and such). At last after cutting the last piece of meat you will be left with the bones.

In addition: Crafting a skinned animal between two sticks diagonally will give skewered animal item, right clicking that over a lighten campfire will place it above it for a slow roast, after the meat is ready ( changed its color from red to brown or something) right click with a knife on it, it will drop off one piece of roasted meat at a time,it could either be another new food item to add more diversity to the food system such as "Roasted beef/pork/vension" or just normal cooked meat)

Other branches: Animal carcasses opens a lot of possible crafting branches such as taxidermy, crafting a bear carcas into a nice rug for your wood cabin, or crafting hunting wall trophys (heads) to hang on the wall.

Perhaps even replacing the current meat cooking, I mean, throwing a piece of steak into a forge or a campfire with out some clay pot would surely charr it. Why not make roasting meat with a skewer the only way to cook meat until you get a clay pot to cook it with.

Pros:

-adds certain realism to the hunting game.

-doesn't wastes any drops you can't pick up because of inventory space

-not op because you can't store whole carcasses in chests and decay faster

-players need to put a bit more work into the meat

-adds more diversity in cooking (optinal roasted meat)

Cons:

-more time into making food

-you'd be able to return from one hunt with a buttload full of meat (although that con kinda cancels out because the carcasses decay faster, it would be a waste getting many at once)

With all the thanks, Yawooza.

Published from my smartphone.

This could work with chickens too only that crafting a raw chicken carcass with a knife will give feathers.

Also carcasses should decay much faster(day or two) than the clean meat pieces because all of the impurities of the animal(organs and such). 

Generally, hunters gut their prey after killing to remove all the organs and non-edibles. Skinning the carcass could then open the opportunity to create meat hanging racks in specialized rooms designed to hold the meat for relatively long-term storage.

I think it's been said that no traditionally 'unpalatable' sort of stuff will be in, so no shit, guts, or dead bodies. 

But they might change their minds, who knows.

EDIT: I like the roast idea though, and I do agree that cooking should be done with clay pots if its anything other than something large that's getting roasted on a spit. Some kind of item or a multiblock(eg bloomery) should be introduced to act as a spit.

I think it's been said that no traditionally 'unpalatable' sort of stuff will be in, so no shit, guts, or dead bodies.

I didn't mean there should be any actual gut item or any of that, skinning the animal and then cutting pieces of meat one by one signifies as the gutting process and still I think serves the purpose of it in tfc right without having any "unplatables"

Skinning the carcass could then open the opportunity to create meat hanging racks in specialized rooms designed to hold the meat for relatively long-term storage.

Perhaps, hanging the meat in a closed room, let's say minimum of 3x3x3, with a lighten campfire. After an Ingame day or so will give off smoked meat which should preserve for long periods of time. Whole Animal carcasses FTW. Ps. If for some the word Carcasses sounds too harsh to the ear, another item name that could be used is "Whole cow/pig/deer" and then "Skinned cow. Etc,"

Smoking Meat

The fire does not need to be big or hot. The intent is to produce smoke, not heat. Do not use resinous wood in the fire because its smoke will ruin the meat. Use hardwoods to produce good smoke. The wood should be somewhat green. If it is too dry, soak it. Cut the meat into thin slices, no more than 6 centimeters thick, and drape them over a framework. Make sure none of the meat touches another piece. Keep the poncho enclosure around the meat to hold the smoke and keep a close watch on the fire. Do not let the fire get too hot. Meat smoked overnight in this manner will last about 1 week. Two days of continuous smoking will preserve the meat for 2 to 4 weeks. Properly smoked meat will look like a dark, curled, brittle stick and you can eat it without further cooking. You can use a pit to smoke meat (Figure 8-28). 

Posted Image

Drying Meat

To preserve meat by drying, cut it into 6-millimeter strips with the grain. Hang the meat strips on a rack in a sunny location with good air flow. Keep the strips out of the reach of animals and cover them to keep blowflies off. Allow the meat to dry thoroughly before eating. Properly dried meat will have a dry, crisp texture and will not feel cool to the touch.

Other Preservation Methods

You can also preserve meats using the freezing or brine and salt methods.

Freezing

In cold climates, you can freeze and keep meat indefinitely. Freezing is not a means of preparing meat. You must still cook it before eating.

Brine and Salt

You can preserve meat by soaking it thoroughly in a saltwater solution. The solution must cover the meat. You can also use salt by itself. Wash off the salt before cooking.

I took this straight out of a survival guide. This is how it's done IRL in a survival situation, might help with some understanding about survival preservation of meat.

This would greatly increase realism add a completely new branch of features to this mod that already has so many features to offer. I love the idea.

If I'm not mistaken, Dunk recently confirmed the planning of carcasses in TFC, so you may only have to wait a couple builds.