Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jointertron

Sequoia Saplings?

26 posts in this topic

Is it impossible to get Sequoia saplings legit? Or am I just very unlucky? Thanks in advance.

I cleared half the leaves off of a Sequoia and didn't get one. Moved on to just chopping it down at that point.

Yes it is a design decision to make getting sequoia and kapok saplings impossible. This is partially a balance issue (I know I could let you have small trees if I wanted), but it also has two other reasons behind it.

• It intoduces a concept to lumber that is lacking, scarcity. You might have all the wood you could need for a while if you start in a jungle biome but you'll find out sooner or later that it all goes away and you'll never gain have purple planks unless you find another jungle. The same goes for sequoia.
  • It also raises awareness to the very real problem that we face on earth of our jungles being wiped out by systematic logging. (I'm no tree hugger, but this sad).

Well said sir. Thanks for clarifying that. I also agree with your reasoning for it. I'll also add that I AM a tree hugging hippie so I like that you through that in there.

• It also raises awareness to the very real problem that we face on earth of our jungles being wiped out by systematic logging. (I'm no tree hugger, but this sad).

Wow, Bioxx, that was... inspiring. Good going there!

It struck a chord with me too. Not many people that I talk to in my day to day life know this but right now in South America the few native Mayan people who are still left are being kicked off of their land so that logging (among other things) can happen. What makes this even more sad is that along with the forest being destroyed, the people who are farmers that have always lived off the land are now being forced to live in "Housing Projects" and pay rent. Since they have no skills or education that are recognized by our society they can't make money and often end up homeless. It makes me sad. However, the fact that so many people care is good. It might not seem like much but even someone like you, Bioxx, making that comment really makes a difference and helps to raise awareness. So again thanks. :)

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but I'm not so sure this is a good idea to do in a game.

Bring the rift between loggers and the natives I mean.

Are you familiar with Terraria? At the spawn of the game, there are much taller trees and they cannot ever be player created. Much like the branching and tall trees in Minecraft, once they are gone, they are gone. This has caused so many fights on servers and on the forums it's not even funny.

This is a wonderful concept in singleplayer, but in multiplayer, all it takes is one careless (or uneducated) player to ruin an entire server by chopping down the unplantable sequioa and kapok. Is it then fair to call them a griefer? Even in IRC, today, someone remarked about someone not replanting what they chopped down so how is this any different? I'm sure a number of players would be very upset if thier prized tree was chopped down.

I would be at any rate. I use those sequioas to find my way home in singleplayer.

That all comes down to player responsibility. Either don't allow people that don't know what they're doing to play on your server or use WorldEdit (it's compatible with non bucket servers isn't it?) to control who owns what land. I don't typically make decisions because they're popular, I make them because they feel right :P

Though I love Kapok, I'll never cut one down ever again, it was like a fruity asshole apocalypse of hot pink soft wood, I had to walk so far to deposit the loads of wood i got from one tree... other than that, I love walking through the underbrush of the jungles. It is fun, and you should never deny that fact of TFC.

Bah im no tree loving hippie, and I do agree IRL we need to watch our trees and stuff. But in MC, It's a game to me, and I use the resources as I see fit. I replant what trees I can, but as for the Kapops specialy, I stripmine the hell out of them.. Like on the server I play on, we are near a jungle, we striped mined a 1/4 of the jungle and replaced it wit our own forest. While we took away, we gave back. But also remember the same things dont apply to MC as they do in real life.

We aren't making poeple homeless, we aren't ruining any kind of ecology, no animals are being hurt by the destruction of our in game jungle. All it does is make kapops less cdommon, and if that means im a jerk for not caring about ingame trees, so be it. I play the game to have fun, to 'live' in the world and do what I can with others to survive and build up. Even in fantasy technological increases come with sarcfices, it's the law of nature.

It's just that some poeple like the collor of the kapok wood. Personally I don't anymore after I had a small hut with a patch blanket of wood kinds as walls, featuring kapok and aspen mainly. It looked like a pile of treehugging hippie puke. After that kapoks only use in my worlds was charcoal and firepit fuel.

On the side note I do care about the envoirment, but the two things that are destroying it are too big for me to take down on my own. Them being large multinationals (AKA umbrella corps) and corrupt governments. Those loggers in the rainforrest, not so much the cause, the governments that allow the cutting and the companies that fund the cutting are the cause.

Holy cow. Okay, so my comment earlier comment has NOTHING to do with MC. I also clear cut trees in MC. Bioxx simply had this as part of the game and meantioned that it reminded him of the IRL issue of shrinking forests. I though that was a little inspiring. So I just thought that since he meantioned it, I would say something about the IRL issue. I did not mean to start a heated debate. Although, I would like to say that in my opinion it's the people who actually go to work and physically cut the trees down that are the cause. They are the actual people cutting the trees. The corperation and the government didn't cut down the forest they just asked people like you and me to do it and we did. People need to learn to say no, and stop doing things just because they want to make money or "progress" in their lives. Anyways, with that said I don't think that people who cut down forests in MC are bad, ignorant, or anything like that unless one of the server rules is to not do it. It's just a game, try not to take it so seriously. :)

TL DR version: Your not bad for cutting trees down that don't really exist. However, IRL PEOPLE are responsible for deforestation. Not corps or the gov.

Technically the Minecraft world is infinite, if you want more after denuding your jungle, go walking for a few days.

IMO though anything to make resources rarer adds to the fun.

Looks like Maple doesn't drop saplings either. I have a small forest of them and I have completely denuded 7 trees so far with no saplings.

I could update the WIKI with all the sapling info if I could get a confirmation.

Looks like Maple doesn't drop saplings either. I have a small forest of them and I have completely denuded 7 trees so far with no saplings.

I could update the WIKI with all the sapling info if I could get a confirmation.

This is incorrect. I get saplings from all trees except Sequoia and Kapok. You must be very unlucky. I started with 2 maples, a few hickory and some pine. Now I have made a forest of those trees just by starting with a few. With the exception of the Sequoia and Kapok I get about 2-3 saplings off all of my trees (occasionally less but occasionally more as well). One time I got 5 maple saplings off of one tree. Are you havesting ALL of the leaves? Or do you sometimes break one that removes all of the ones attached to it?

I have difficulty growing spruce. Each tree seems to drop only one sapling, replacing itself. It took me the longest to get enough spruce to get a decent harvest.

Well, that may be a luck question I get 2 or 3 out spruce trees easily.

This is incorrect. I get saplings from all trees except Sequoia and Kapok. You must be very unlucky. I started with 2 maples, a few hickory and some pine. Now I have made a forest of those trees just by starting with a few. With the exception of the Sequoia and Kapok I get about 2-3 saplings off all of my trees (occasionally less but occasionally more as well). One time I got 5 maple saplings off of one tree. Are you havesting ALL of the leaves? Or do you sometimes break one that removes all of the ones attached to it?

Apparently I was VERY unlucky. It was actually only 5 Maple trees, it was dark and the last 2 were actually a different type. Went back in and the 3rd leaf I broke dropped a sapling.

I wonder why sequoias have sapling [in creative if you can't get them.

Because at one time Bioxx had Sequias are droping saplings. He removed them from doing it, but the item was never removed from the game. So that is why using creative/tmi/nei/whatever still shows them and you can still use them.

I find that maple and hickory trees seem to drop the most saplings per tree. I can get on average 2-3 per tree. Some time I won't get any for a tree or two, but then the next one I do I'll get 4 or 5 from a single tree. The random chance part is a little nutty.

Btw, all for the preserving the forests. I think we should only use woods that are sustainable (omg super hippie word I know!) such as bamboo and other fast-growing materials. Bamboo has sort of been a hot subject though because you have to use resin to bind it into planks (suggestion suggestion), but often manufacturers won't use environmentally friendly resins because the alternatives are cheaper.

I never understood the people willing to cut down the entire forest around their base. I mean, it's nice to have space to build, but I've seen people wipe trees out of render distance. I guess they just really hate gathering saplings. It's so many times easier just to manage a tree farm than walk farther and farther every time you need wood.

Yes it is a design decision to make getting sequoia and kapok saplings impossible. This is partially a balance issue (I know I could let you have small trees if I wanted), but it also has two other reasons behind it.

• It intoduces a concept to lumber that is lacking, scarcity. You might have all the wood you could need for a while if you start in a jungle biome but you'll find out sooner or later that it all goes away and you'll never gain have purple planks unless you find another jungle. The same goes for sequoia.
I like the justification for the change, it both has merit and fits with the feel of the mod.

A suggestion though. I think that by giving a very small chance to have a sapling come out of both tree types would be more even more beneficial regarding points 1 and 2. Instead of going on a logging trip and putting the axe to the mighty tree, the player that knows there is a chance to recover a sapling will prefer to make a scaffold and spend more time hitting the leaves before logging it. Thats how scarcity and awareness work too. You are taught to work more, to have more.

I like the justification for the change, it both has merit and fits with the feel of the mod.

A suggestion though. I think that by giving a very small chance to have a sapling come out of both tree types would be more even more beneficial regarding points 1 and 2. Instead of going on a logging trip and putting the axe to the mighty tree, the player that knows there is a chance to recover a sapling will prefer to make a scaffold and spend more time hitting the leaves before logging it. Thats how scarcity and awareness work too. You are taught to work more, to have more.

I like this idea, it would at least cut down on everyone complaining about not having sticks! :)

I don't get it. Why don't sequoias drop saplings? I know kapok's are too big and would sort of mess up the balance of things but sequoias aren't that big.

I don't get it. Why don't sequoias drop saplings? I know kapok's are too big and would sort of mess up the balance of things but sequoias aren't that big.

a fully grown sequoia is definitely on the overly huge part of the tree size scale too. but yeah. he could have given us the small variety to grow ourselves. a giant sequoia takes hundreds of years to grow to their great gigantic sizes. but that is true of all giant tree's to be honest. I sometimes wish minecraft would allow for step by step tree growth instead of the sapling spawns a fully grown tree mechanic.

(i also don't like the cubic metre trunk mechanic. but that is just another minor thing nobody but me cares about)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0