Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hntrofdmnds

Why are TFC Weights so Weird

28 posts in this topic

Why are the weights in TFC so weird. If ANY developers see this thread, please fix the weights. The video in the link will tell you more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYCvY_X1G68&feature=youtu.be

If video is not working try this with an extra w (ww.youtube.com/watch?v=iYCvY_X1G68&feature=youtu.be)

the video is low resolution and it's hard to read. Can you write it here please.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weights, because they still don't affect anything other than stack size. If weight becomes an important game mechanic, then the weights of objects will be rebalanced. Until then, the developers have more important issues to deal with.

1 nugget is heavier than 1 ingot. Pork is heavier than a double ingot. Pigs? 150 lbs (64kg). Jewels? Chipped? Light tiny. Exqusite? Light, tiny.

Who said it's a nugget of 100% pure metal ?

Food no longer have weight as it can not stack.

Who said that an exquisite jevel is bigger than a chipped one ? It's not a bigger jewel, it's only a jevel of a better quality, with less impurities. Of course the images might suggest that some are bigger. but big enough to be more than light an tiny?

I do not think that it's game breaking in any ways. What change would you make?

Who said it's a nugget of 100% pure metal ?

Food no longer have weight as it can not stack.

Who said that an exquisite jevel is bigger than a chipped one ? It's not a bigger jewel, it's only a jevel of a better quality, with less impurities. Of course the images might suggest that some are bigger. but big enough to be more than light an tiny?

I do not think that it's game breaking in any ways. What change would you make?

Why would a tenth of an ingot be heavier than an ingot

I repead "who said it's a nugget od 100% pure metal?"

Maybe your nugget is 5% metal ore. So for 1 ingot of metal, you have 19 time the weight of this ingot in soil, gravel and sand that is discarded....

I would agree that weight value of some items could be revised, but to ask it in a polite way, like suggesting and not requestion would be better.

Also, provide a list of all the changes that you have to suggest, for example "change ingot from medium to heavy", so the developpers do not have to do the research for you. I would prefer if they fix bugs and add new content, not to look at item size and weight.

And you should think about all the metal items in your suggestion.

But that is only my personal point of view.

There does need to be a revision of the weights but I do think that it's not really a critical point. I'd rather have the devs keep working on new features and fixing bugs and streamlining the mod.

I think that weight should be an important factor. *Walks through a forest with 7 sequoias of wood* UPDATE! "YES! *goes to update* *comes back on* *dies*

I think that weight should be an important factor. *Walks through a forest with 7 sequoias of wood* UPDATE! "YES! *goes to update* *comes back on* *dies*

That would be silly. it's not realistic, I agree, but I would not enjoy the game if I had to have a realistic amount of items in my inventory.

I wouldn't call this a proper suggestion, but there are ways to deal with inventory capacity that could be fun to talk about.

First, I would suspend disbelief a bit and abandon the whole 1-m² of solid rock will crush you. Instead, it would just be "heavy" and you can only carry so much quantity of "heavy". Weight would be governed by stack size, apparently as it is now, so your max weight is indirectly affected by slot capacity. Yeah, logs should maybe be 8 in a stack, stone 4, rocks 128 or the limit of the engine, whatever.

The number of slots the player has could be very low in the beginning, maybe even just the toolbar. A number of craftable items could permanently increase inventory space in the exact same manner as the crafting grid increases once you make a crafting table. These items could be leather sacks, up to wheelbarrows. They don't have to exist in game, just be logical names that suggest the player has access to these inventory increasing tools.

What could make this less onerous is a designated stockpile (or even just a chest or other conventional container). Once placed, the stockpile acts as a container that can be accessed by the player within so many blocks, or chunks. This simulates back-and-forth trips by the player, without the player having to actually travel - just periodically open inventory and move items to the stockpile/chest. For long expeditions, the player should be much more reliant on pack animals or boats as mobile containers.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weights, because they still don't affect anything other than stack size. If weight becomes an important game mechanic, then the weights of objects will be rebalanced. Until then, the developers have more important issues to deal with.

Exactly this. Weights are only used to determine stack size. The reason that something might have the heavy tag when it doesn't make sense for it to actually be heavy in weight is to force its stack size to only be one.

This ties in to my earlier suggestion though, on the metric system suggestion. If weights are tied to stack size, why use real world weights that will just confuse people? I still think that it should use stacks as the unit of measurement, and then things wouldn't be so weird.

I think that the easiest solution would be to scrap the weight/size mechanic. Only have max stack size that people have to discover while playing... then people will stopl complaining "oh this item is heavier, it make no sense"...

Size makes sense. You can't just put a log in your chest.

Size makes sense. You can't just put a log in your chest.

But you CAN fit a stack of 32 blocks of wood made from a stack of logs.

You cut the wood, so it's less bulky and sticking out in odd places and more neat and organised, so you can be more space-efficant

No changes need to be made. We believe things are fine the way they are.

Speaking of weights... it would be nice to round up the values.

Posted Image

Do the weights look like that on the individual pieces of Mutton when you hover over them as well? Or only on the tooltip of the vessel? Is that screenshot from the latest version of TFC (78.17)?

Do the weights look like that on the individual pieces of Mutton when you hover over them as well? Or only on the tooltip of the vessel? Is that screenshot from the latest version of TFC (78.17)?

It seems that it's only the tooltip of the vessel. I'm running the latest version of TFC.

Okie dokie, I've let Bioxx know and it should be fixed for 79. We've pretty much stopped fixing 78 now that we've made so much progress on 79.

Ok, can somebody delete this thread? I was being a little idiotic when I made it and although I was kind of... petulant(?) about this thread and deserve to be embarrassed I'd like it deleted...