Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Aaronpie

Salt Flats / Pans

12 posts in this topic

Salt Flats/ Pans

They occur in real life in places where salty ponds/lakes/etc. have dried up (in the desert).

• They would add an additional option if a player cant find salt rock to preserve meat.
  • They would give players an additional a reason for exploring the desert.
  • They would be relatively rare, spawn randomly in desert biomes, and have no cactuses, or dead brush, on them. They would just be a large expanse of salt and lifelessness.
  • They Could be an area of desert covered in salt rocks, or just a layer of salt.
  • They would spawn as large expanses in large desert biomes.
  • They Could have other minerals spawn in them.

Because of their lifelessness, they would be something which you would visit or cross, and it would be a bad idea to live on or near due to their lack of life.

INL they vary, and can occur flat or rocky and irregular, I recommend that they be flat and white.

They should have a couple layers of swamp-like material (maybe peat) under them.

If a player spawns in a large desert biome, they should be able to find one 40% of the time, but not be something you never see.

I like it! I'd keep them to a relatively small size so as not to completely dwarf the need for rock salts, but it'd give players a reason to explore deserts. Since at present they don't usually offer much in the way of stuff to gather (beyond endless sand for glass).

Massive expanses are how they occur in real life, but that would not be good for gameplay. mainly they would be an alternative to salt rocks.

I actually wouldn't mind massive expanses/reasonable amounts of salt acquired from the desert. Alternative to rock salt seems like a viable feature - as long as salt in general wouldn't be easily found everywhere in general I don't see why player shouldn't be allowed to derive it primarily from desert rather than from mining, hacing a viable choice. Many cultures IRL did exactly that if we consider believability and it wouldn't disturb much the gameplay itself.

Rock salt is another "feast or famine" situation in TFC.  Either you're trekking for days to find a pinch of salt, or you're building your house out of the stuff.  It would be nice if there were a way to get just a little bit.

...Panning for salt? :]

Now that salt as an important use, I would love to see some alternative gathering of salts. Also, salt flats would be an interesting break up in deserts.

As hans said, you either got rock salt rock up to your eye brows or you don't have any at all, so salt planes already exist in sort. They're just covered with dirt and is referred to as rock salt rock (Flows of the tongue right?)

As hans said, you either got rock salt rock up to your eye brows or you don't have any at all, so salt planes already exist in sort. They're just covered with dirt and is referred to as rock salt rock (Flows of the tongue right?)

I don't see how the fact that you can have overabundance or no salt means there are salt flats. Also, them being underground and in a rock form kinda disqualifies them as such. :P

What I meant to say is that, as Hans said above, you either have rock salt and lots of it or you don't so saying nope to salt flats because they would have to be so big and contain so much salt so when you find rock salt you've practically found a salt flat, just in the form of rock salt and therefor adding salt flats would be OK!

I don't see how the fact that you can have overabundance or no salt means there are salt flats. Also, them being underground and in a rock form kinda disqualifies them as such. :P

Rock Salt is Sedimentary, and therefore only ever spawns on the top layer of stone.. so you never have to go digging for it other than a small layer of dirt.

Rock Salt is Sedimentary, and therefore only ever spawns on the top layer of stone.. so you never have to go digging for it other than a small layer of dirt.

And that, in turn still doesn't make it salt flat.

That's not the point! the point is that the amount of salt you can get when you find Rock salt is so enormous that saying that salt flats can't be an addition because they would provide enormous amounts of salt is invalid and doesn't work!