Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hans_Lemurson

Metal Javelins: Are they worth it?

24 posts in this topic

Stone javelins are just about useless, doing very little damage for a weapon that you can't even hold onto after use.  Do metal javelins do anything close to worthwhile damage? Is their durability improved at all?  Are they just a waste of metal?  I haven't gotten to a the point where metal is cheap enough to experiment with, so I haven't tested this myself.

No, but if they could stack, then perhaps, yes.

there's the quiver where you can now stack things like javelins...And the metal varieties do a lot more damage than the stone ones :)

Anyways, if you checked, you'll note that now, stone javelins deal the highest damage among the stone tools, and is the only long-range weapon until you get metal.

Plus, javelins are the only weapons that work both close range and far range. Not to mention the quiver mentioned above. Plus, one vein give a TON of metals, and you can get plenty of stuff like copper with gold pans and such.

So yea, javelins are worth it. Especially the copper ones

and what recipe quiver? how to do it? Thanks in advance for your reply :)

How many hits from Bronze Javelins would it take to kill a zombie?  Could you actually take one down before it closed range?

There is- look closer. It's one of the crafting recipes. What I don't think it mentions is that you need to equip it in an imaginary equipping slot next to where the chest armour goes (in the avatar area). Once the quiver is equipped it acts as it should and you'll see the arrow/javelin counter in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Personally, I've never made a single metal javelin. Just seems foolish to me. I usually just make a copper sword (until I get better metals) and it usually lasts me a long time. Something doesn't feel right about throwing anything made of metal in TFC :/

There is- look closer. It's one of the crafting recipes. What I don't think it mentions is that you need to equip it in an imaginary equipping slot next to where the chest armour goes (in the avatar area). Once the quiver is equipped it acts as it should and you'll see the arrow/javelin counter in the bottom left corner of the screen.

ah, whoops, I thought that section was all armors.  +1

Anyways, if you checked, you'll note that now, stone javelins deal the highest damage among the stone tools, and is the only long-range weapon until you get metal.

Plus, javelins are the only weapons that work both close range and far range. Not to mention the quiver mentioned above. Plus, one vein give a TON of metals, and you can get plenty of stuff like copper with gold pans and such.

So yea, javelins are worth it. Especially the copper ones

Stick - No Metal Required - Check

Clay - Mo Metal Required - Check

Spindle - No Metal Required - Check

Wool - No Metal Required - Check

Feather - No Metal Required - Check

Rock - No Metal Required - Check

Not sure about this "only ranged weapon before metal" statement...my bow and arrow are deadly to deer from a long way out without having to have found metal.  Finding sheep and chickens/pheasants is another matter all together, though...

If you have access to the feathers, the bow is superior. But I have spawned many times with access to only a few of those not-chickens, that don't breed. Finding sheep can also be difficult, but spiders still spawn.

One of the benefits of the Javelin is versatility, being able to use it much more effectively in melee than a bow. Although I only see it as useful in PvP.

Spears are cool though...

Only takes a handful of feathers to make enough arrows to be effective, and pheasants seem to spawn much better in .10 and .11.  The sheep still seems to be the more difficult part, although you are right with the spiders being an option.

I just made a quiver for myself, and I have to say that Javelins are now MUCH more useful!  Stone tips still can't quite bring down a charging zombie before it enters melee range, but are good for sniping creepers outside of their aggro range.  The fact that quivers take up ZERO inventory space and automatically suck up javelins to refill themselves makes them SO much more useful than before.

If I had more metal I'd be tempted to try out a quiver full of bronze javelins to see how they do.

Not sure about this "only ranged weapon before metal" statement...my bow and arrow are deadly to deer from a long way out without having to have found metal.  Finding sheep and chickens/pheasants is another matter all together, though...

Ah woops..... totally forgot. My bad.

But javelins are a bit easier to make.

Although I do admit that bows are indeed pre-metal and a much better ranged weapon 

ITT: Everyone forgets that bows require a 3x3 crafting grid which you can only obtain with a metal saw.

Stick - No Metal Required - Check

Clay - Mo Metal Required - Check

Spindle - No Metal Required - Check

Wool - No Metal Required - Check

Feather - No Metal Required - Check

Rock - No Metal Required - Check

Crafting table for the 3x3 grid to make the bow - Requires a metal saw.

Hate to break it to you, but the only way you can get a bow without metal is if you use an addon that allows you to get planks without a metal saw, or a skeleton drops it.

Ok... I'm forgetting lots of things....

Good point.  I really don't even think about the crafting grid since it no longer is a block.

Is the crafting grid even necessary? Offhand, I can't think of what purpose it serves in the tier progression. Most of the recipes that use it already require metal indirectly. Having a 3x3 from the start would certainly aid in combining large stacks of food.

On that note, it would be awesome if you could fill a 3x3 with 8 food and 1 knife to cut the decay from them all. I'm guessing there is some coding issue that would prevent that.

I like the idea of spears, though, maybe they would require two sticks on a metal javelin head or something, And they would have longer reach higher damage (don't know how that would be coded). The advantage of reach and damage should be off set by making them harder to use, and would require actual, mastering.

Is the crafting grid even necessary? Offhand, I can't think of what purpose it serves in the tier progression. Most of the recipes that use it already require metal indirectly. Having a 3x3 from the start would certainly aid in combining large stacks of food.

On that note, it would be awesome if you could fill a 3x3 with 8 food and 1 knife to cut the decay from them all. I'm guessing there is some coding issue that would prevent that.

Well... you need a 3x3 grid to make anvils, the bloomery, and the blast furnace.... so there's that.

Oh man that would help so much! Preserving the meat from a single cow is a huge clickfest right now.