Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Environmental Dangers

106 posts in this topic

I decided to lump the current environment change suggestions into one simple thread. Please note some of these suggestions assume we're going to be adding a Thirst system to the already existing Hunger.

Rain

• Chance of causing Landslides on uncovered dirt.
  • Storms can cause Floods
  • Puts out uncovered fires (Campfires, Torches)
Deserts
  • Extreme thirst
  • Slowed movement in sand
  • Sandstorms
  • Quicksand
Jungles
  • Extreme thirst
  • Quicksand
Snow
  • Blizzards
  • Extreme thirst
  • Slowed movement in snow, increasing as it piles up
Water
  • Salt Water (causes dehydration when consumed)

After showing this to Bioxx, I've struck out the parts that aren't possible to add or have already been added.

I'm curious about snow causing extreme thirst. I'm not too sure about it - but if we did implement it I would like to propose this: crafting blocks of snow then melting them down on your campfire to make drinking water.

YOu'll prolly have to make the secondary output slot a sort of secondary input too, you need bottles or something to collect the water from the snow blocks.

[ball ==> Bottles?]

[blocks ==> Buckets?]

I'm curious about snow causing extreme thirst. I'm not too sure about it - but if we did implement it I would like to propose this: crafting blocks of snow then melting them down on your campfire to make drinking water.

Nice, Bioxx has said that he won't adding anything too harsh without implementing ways for us to combat it as well so your idea is much appreciated! A similar idea is in the Deserts, we could harvest water from a Cactus somehow.

Nice, Bioxx has said that he won't adding anything too harsh without implementing ways for us to combat it as well so your idea is much appreciated! A similar idea is in the Deserts, we could harvest water from a Cactus somehow.

Que the IC2 treetap, make one stick it in a cactus, hang a bucket under it and profit.

Maybe thunderstorms could increase the chance of collapses in caves, perhaps dependant on depth (i.e. closest to surface = bigger risk)? Or perhaps rain turns grass to mud (dirt) and thus collapses.

As for salt water causing dehydration, I wouldn't mind seeing it get some use, like shortening the length of poison? (Very limited use though, unless you do find a nest of cave spiders)

Or boiling the water out for salt in cooking?

Good idea, salt could be used as a preservative for raw meat, or making jerky instead of cooking meat.

But I sense a drift off topic...

Cold damage in snow biomes. You'd need protection from cold.

Cold damage in snow biomes. You'd need protection from cold.

my question would be, does it have to be cold specific? or maybe just armor in general. cause im pretty sure that metal armor would be cold in the snow, but... some armors were padded on the inside, so maybe just wearing armor would work. also, imagine spawning in a snow biome...

im thinking non-metal or padded interior...or specifically made for the cold from pelts or something. but definitely not metal armor.

and with spawning in a snow biome...might just be safer to make a fire that much quicker!

In general if you are not freezing to death then you are dehydrating through exertion.. and moving through a frozen/snow filled land requires a lot of that.. even though its cold, dehydration, sunburn and heat stroke are some of the biggies people are not prepared for as Cold is the first thing that comes to mind. I do like the general protection people should need from the environment but it would make sense to extend this even further to water, for example. Where you do not go swimming with a cooked steak in your pocket and eat it later on ;)

Here are a few additions to the snow biomes B) <chill dude>

<1> If you find yourself stranded in a frozen wasteland you can be in trouble without the proper equipment.

While traveling in a snow biome there can be frozen ravines hidden by the snow. If the player happens to step on an ice/snow block that is covering the tight ravine, it will have a chance to collapse

and bring you down with it up to a 50 block max depth. To avoid this the player would need to craft a long spear to shove into the snow to see if its safe to cross.

<2> If you travel in a snow biome without any proper clothing to the climate condition, the player will start to take damage after a 20 minute period in real life. Uses for hides and and possibly the addition of fur coats.

i think that fire should also help or hinder in certain environments like if you in a snowy bioms you should take cold damage unless your protected by armor or have a fire, the fire should also cook things at a lower temp. due to being so cold. desserts you should start taking damage from overheating when near fires but fires can cook things at a higher temp. do to being so hot.

There's already a movement penalty in jungles. Every leaf block you walk through slows your movement and it is hard to see the terrain. Jungles are already a pain to traverse. I don't think it needs to be made any harder or I will end up just refusing to go through them. There's a limit between "Challenge" and "just not fun"

I'm also not a fan of rain causing landslides. I pick where I want to live based on the terrain. I spend a great deal of time terraforming the land to my liking. This suggestion would be akin to saying "creepers randomly blow up part of your house with or without your presence" to me, so no support.

I've always figured thirst should be a status effect-like game mechanic. Travelling while it's hot out might make you thirsty, but it wouldn't be a meter you've got to keep full or anything like that.

... I don't see why they should be...

Can we also have poison shrubs, and barbed foliage? Or further down the line, larger animals who won't attack, but will defend their territory and must be avoided unless adequately armed?

i think that fire should also help or hinder in certain environments like if you in a snowy bioms you should take cold damage unless your protected by armor or have a fire, the fire should also cook things at a lower temp. due to being so cold. desserts you should start taking damage from overheating when near fires but fires can cook things at a higher temp. do to being so hot.

If by in a snowy biome the fire should also cook things at a lower temperature you mean that it takes not full heat to smelt copper than you are wrong. I have been camping in the snow before and it takes longer to cook cold things.

I think that the slowed movement in sand should be canceled out/increased by boots. Say you have leather boots than you should walk normally but if you have steel boots on it should hinder you more.

Question - is the piling up of snow struck because it's being added, or because it's impossible?

Because if it's 'impossible', there's actually a mod called inficraft that does just that.

It's actually quite a lot like TFC to be honest, only whereas TFC is more like metallurgy: the game, inficraft is more like earth science: the game

But point being, they have progressively piling snow that hampers movement

Question - is the piling up of snow struck because it's being added, or because it's impossible?

Because if it's 'impossible', there's actually a mod called inficraft that does just that.

It's actually quite a lot like TFC to be honest, only whereas TFC is more like metallurgy: the game, inficraft is more like earth science: the game

But point being, they have progressively piling snow that hampers movement

I saw it in Crysyn's
, and Bioxx was there, so I'm assuming he knows it is possible at the very least.

Going along with the butchery suggestion, maybe cactuses could be butchered to get water.

You don't butcher plants heh. But the idea of chopping open cacti for water is a good idea.

Take THAT tree huggers!

You don't butcher plants heh. But the idea of chopping open cacti for water is a good idea.

Sure you can! It's all about the mentality of it. How badly do you hate that cactus?

But jokes aside, I do like the finding water in cacti idea as well.