Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Environmental Dangers

106 posts in this topic

New hazard, proximity burns and death from lava. Being in x, 4 or 5, meters(blocks) of lava will burn or kill you.

New hazard, proximity burns and death from lava. Being in x, 4 or 5, meters(blocks) of lava will burn or kill you.

Dude, and now that i just found a seed with nickel just at the lava level... this? ouch, dude, ouch :

-not gonna share it, it's tto little and has no starter ores nearby spawn :-

Sure you can! It's all about the mentality of it. How badly do you hate that cactus?

But jokes aside, I do like the finding water in cacti idea as well.

Honestly, getting water from cactus is rather difficult. The cactus stores it as a viscous gluey juice (some of which is fermented into tequila :D). Only the prickly pear or barrel cactus store water that is drinkable without further processing. In fact, raw cactus juice can cause rather unpleasant side effects like diarrhea.

we could harvest water from a Cactus somehow.

cactus juice: its the quenchiest!

cactus juice: its the quenchiest!

...oh god.

Why do I get that joke.

Fucking psychedelics, how do they work

Just as a precautionairy warning here... Quicksand will NOT pull you under UNLESS you are extremelly weighed down, in fact, bouyancy point is about your torso, so IRL there is little danger, but i do like the idea getting water from cacti, what if we just replaced the dead shrubs with cacti? or did a duplicate spawning method, and if you felt very evil, you could have many types of cacti, and you have to take a gamble on whether it is safe or not to drink. And for the snow melting, i suggest using the snowballs, throwing a cubic meter of snow onto a fire? that would simply extinguish it XD but all said, good suggestions here guys. MAKE MY STAY IN MINECRAFT HELL! B)

Well, shoot eternal, you seem to be a clairvoyant XD thanks for the links btw, i saw the retexture in your miny thread, and i merely altered because i feel just a retex would not change function, but maybe i took it too literally.

Dude, and now that i just found a seed with nickel just at the lava level... this? ouch, dude, ouch :

-not gonna share it, it's tto little and has no starter ores nearby spawn :-

Sucks... But in real life attempting to move within 10 meters of lava would start to incinerate you, 1 meter? you never existed. I think 4 or 5 is highly generous.

Just as a precautionairy warning here... Quicksand will NOT pull you under UNLESS you are extremelly weighed down, in fact, bouyancy point is about your torso, so IRL there is little danger, but i do like the idea getting water from cacti, what if we just replaced the dead shrubs with cacti? or did a duplicate spawning method, and if you felt very evil, you could have many types of cacti, and you have to take a gamble on whether it is safe or not to drink. And for the snow melting, i suggest using the snowballs, throwing a cubic meter of snow onto a fire? that would simply extinguish it XD but all said, good suggestions here guys. MAKE MY STAY IN MINECRAFT HELL! B)

Quicksand is so dangerous because people don't realize they are standing on it. All quicksand is is a mixture of dirts and sands over an air pocket. enter person and FLOOP, in goes the air pocket, now you've got quicksand.

for what we hope to be able to do in the future, this might just come into play, if only because the lava would super heat the air around it.

quicksand is often caused by sand suspended in water. It is therefore rather unlikely in the desert (too much water) the only reason quicksand was purported as so dangerous is because the 18th century British who fell in were wearing baggy-as-shit clothes that pulled them down. It's really not much more dangerous than swimming in water you can't see in.

quicksand is often caused by sand suspended in water. It is therefore rather unlikely in the desert (too much water) the only reason quicksand was purported as so dangerous is because the 18th century British who fell in were wearing baggy-as-shit clothes that pulled them down. It's really not much more dangerous than swimming in water you can't see in.

in some ways it is somwhat like swamp muck, it has more suction to it than plain water, and it IS quite hard to get out of if you're heavy and/or baggy

Sucks... But in real life attempting to move within 10 meters of lava would start to incinerate you, 1 meter? you never existed. I think 4 or 5 is highly generous. Quicksand is so dangerous because people don't realize they are standing on it. All quicksand is is a mixture of dirts and sands over an air pocket. enter person and FLOOP, in goes the air pocket, now you've got quicksand.

I think you are talking about sink holes actually, where water has removed material in an area where then either under its own weight or added weight, the ground collapses. Quicksand is what happens when liquefaction (saturation of loose sediment) takes place and while rarely (if ever) capable of swallowing anything hole, it will generally solidify again leaving the person/animal trapped to die from things like dehydration.

any thoughts on how my "Frost" thread could come into play with this ?

On my insulation thread, dunk mentioned some stuff. go see it.

Sucks... But in real life attempting to move within 10 meters of lava would start to incinerate you, 1 meter? you never existed. I think 4 or 5 is highly generous.

Posted Image

...So yeah.

Posted Image

...So yeah.

That's extrusive igneous stone at a melting temperature, at which case moving it a away any distance from the large mass would cause it to solidify... so yeah :P

Minecraft lava is MAGMA so unless lava gets changed, then nope my point still stands :P

No, undeath is correct, one can get fairly close to magma/lava, this is an extreme example. but nonetheless, you would have to be nearly touching it, unless it were bursting from the vulcano, or in the center of the earth.

Your picture also shows him dragging the molten rock away from the mass... Note the solidified stone sitting near his feet, and on his mattox :P

Ok, talking about this in the IRC channel here is what we came up with

1) Iron melts at 1538c

2) Lava (whats on the surface) has a temperature range of: 700-1200c

3) Magma (Whats below the surface) has a temperature range of: 700-1300c

-Crysyn

Me: 1700 F = 926.6 C

Researched, and owned.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/05/16/what-is-the-melting-point-of-a-human/

Correct, HOWEVER, that would be if you were sticking your hand IN the lava, but distance does a great deal in the way of protecting you from heat. have you ever held a sparkler? those things are magnesium laden, and would burn you alive, but you are sufficiently far enough away from the heat source that one would be safe.

True, sparklers can burn as hot as lava, but consider this: a sparkler is a limited high exposure random rated heat, of which cannot harm you by irradiating the air around it due to it's small size. Also note that a pool or lake or steam of magma is high concentrated molten stones and metals, with enough mass to irradiate most of the air around to high degrees, and is high and long exposure in order for you to "Bucket it" let alone stand next to it. Point in case Mass = Heat. Small 9 inch random burst sparkler, compared to high constant large mass of lava or magma. :P Also pointing out that thermite burns hotter than lava, and instantly turns sand to glass. :P The pros of a chemical engineer brother :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Yes, yes, i have worked with thermite before, quite the dangerous stuff, but it was a comparison, people do go near lava, quite close to the mouth of the volcano, not magma, but i know it is possible to stay ALIVE near lava, comfortable? hell no. but you would survive a few minutes near it, before passing out.

Incineration is also a slow process, so instantaneous is almost impossible, like your thinking.