Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Environmental Dangers

106 posts in this topic

Cue the remembering of the volcano in Ocarina of time :D

Concede yet? if not, instantaneous incineration or combustion would require hyper particle acceleration. AKA heat :3

Slow down sparky, you don't need to go all fancy with the terminology, we can understand you just fine with layman's terms. and i don't concede, but i would suggest using the temp factor that dunk plans of implementing, if blocks can alter ambient temperature, then there would be no need for adding a special mechanic for only lava. because lava is hot, it would heat steve up eventually, then he would get damage from it.

for what we hope to be able to do in the future, this might just come into play, if only because the lava would super heat the air around it.

That's what dunk said and why i was arguing with you on this one....

... not sure whether to feel stupid or justified... XD

Lol...

guys just calm down with this whole lava thing

yes staying next to magma for extended periods of time should have some negative effect on your health

no it should not instantly kill you for getting within 5 blocks of it, you know how hard that would make this?

maybe you could make ome kind of thick/treated leather clothing to protect you from the heat so that you can work near lava

if you didnt have this, then you'r temperature meter would rise rapidly untill you start taking damage and would have to get out of there quick

point is we're not trying to make this ludicrously realistic or hard so just chill out (well as much as you can when working with lava)

Bravo Srgnoodles, i would have merely dropped a like, but i am at my quota for the day :/ lol. anyways, that is what i wanted all along :)

Bravo Srgnoodles, i would have merely dropped a like, but i am at my quota for the day :/ lol. anyways, that is what i wanted all along :)

thank you i just wanted to stop this argument before it got too

-puts on sunglasses-

hot

Of course lava can't super heat the atmosphere above ground, the surrounding air is too large, and is able to easily absorb excess heat. lighting a fire in the woods won't burn you to a crisp, but if you were confined in a small space with it, you would be looking at another story. Magma in caves might have enough heat to superheat the air.

but is there a way to differentiate between the two? other than having the game constantly running checks on whether there are obstacles nearby. For simplicities sake, i still say super heating the adjacent few blocks of air should do the trick. enough to hurt like being on fire.

no, it will behave similarly to how the light mapping works. Blocks will have heat levels. Heat will go from hot spots to cold spots, at a rate depending on heat capacity among other things. Because caves have fewer air blocks, the air near magma will get hotter as a byproduct of the initial code, not because we want it to.

no, it will behave similarly to how the light mapping works. Blocks will have heat levels. Heat will go from hot spots to cold spots, at a rate depending on heat capacity among other things. Because caves have fewer air blocks, the air near magma will get hotter as a byproduct of the initial code, not because we want it to.

As well they should.

This is the exact kind of organic programming I blathered about in that other thread.

Ah, i see, i hadn't realized the code you were planing would be so self-intelligent (well, effectively anyways) from how it sounds, it would be a brilliant addition. and much simpler than how i thought it XD

Does this mean similar things can be implemented for heating properly insulated houses? Light can travel through certain translucent blocks at reduced strength, how about heat through poor insulation?

Although having said that, you'd have to add another system for recirculating heat within an insulated area...

Does this mean similar things can be implemented for heating houses? :P

Ah, i see, i hadn't realized the code you were planing would be so self-intelligent (well, effectively anyways) from how it sounds, it would be a brilliant addition. and much simpler than how i thought it XD

it's not AI... it's intelligent, but not of itself. The intelligence belongs to the coders.

No, what this code is is natural. That sort of flowing logic and self-correction is a hallmark of physical law, of the sort that makes planets form around stars and cells work together to form complex organisms.

If there's a god, this is the sort of thing it writes into our universe's 'physics' class file.

it's not AI... it's intelligent, but not of itself. The intelligence belongs to the coders.

No, what this code is is natural. That sort of flowing logic and self-correction is a hallmark of physical law, of the sort that makes planets form around stars and cells work together to form complex organisms.

If there's a god, this is the sort of thing it writes into our universe's 'physics' class file.

wish I could like that twice.

Well. if you look, i corrected my statement to effectively intelligent, i am fully aware that it isn't magic AI XD but yes, i understand how the code would function in theory. thanks for explaining anyways though :)

wish I could like that twice.

I got this reply from a Dev.

I feel no shame in admitting I squee'd a bit.

Does this mean similar things can be implemented for heating properly insulated houses? Light can travel through certain translucent blocks at reduced strength, how about heat through poor insulation?

Although having said that, you'd have to add another system for recirculating heat within an insulated area...

Does this mean similar things can be implemented for heating houses? :P

/thread my insulation thread.

/thread my insulation thread.

ok

Here's an eviornmental danger.

Firestorms, basically caused when a forest fire rages out of control. It causes abnormal weather patterns, and if the forest fire is large and hot enough fire tornados, or even hurricane like weather rotation.

Probably not in the realm of doable here in minecraft but it would be pretty cool to watch a whole forest burn down and a fire tornado rageing across the landscape.

Here's an eviornmental danger.

Firestorms, basically caused when a forest fire rages out of control. It causes abnormal weather patterns, and if the forest fire is large and hot enough fire tornados, or even hurricane like weather rotation.

Probably not in the realm of doable here in minecraft but it would be pretty cool to watch a whole forest burn down and a fire tornado rageing across the landscape.

This is a real thing, fire tornados happen in Japan a lot.

This is a real thing, fire tornados happen in Japan a lot.

tornados aren't known for mountainous regions...

I have to ask, what would you want the tornado to do? i mean if you want it to be throwing blocks all over, i suspect a lag storm, but if it were just superficial, that would be fine, but a lot of work (potentially) for little benefit.