Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Takatifu

What's your favorite method for storing food?

25 posts in this topic

I just dig two blocks deep, put vessels with my food inside on the bottom and cover it with one block of dirt. But I don't know if this method is efficient enough to make decay significantly slower.

So, how do you do it?

I have room with no windows and 3 chests, that I close using thatch. Easier access and can easily see decay.

Devs are currently thinking about new possibilities to preserve foods. Must wait and see.

Coding temperature drops from ice blocks around could be cool hehe

Personally, I only dig a 1x1x1 hole in the ground.... that's it.

Posted Image

I have room with no windows and 3 chests, that I close using thatch. Easier access and can easily see decay.

Do you have any issue with mob spwaning?

I thought about building a "granary" like yours too but i was concerned about mobs spawning inside. 

Do thatch insulate the room from outside temperature well enough? (maybe i'm using too much rl logic :P )

There is mob-spawn protection in place where player stays for long enough. Also, the thatch is against light. Temperature doesn't work like that. Yet. It would be nice if doors blocked light, so I don't have to use thatch.

My method is simple in mountains it's very cold i dig into a mountain and store food there it almost doesn't spoil

I'm aware of the mob-spawning protection but I've found it drops rather quickly if you're far from the 3X3 chunk area, much quicker than the 16 days protection that the wiki says. But again, it could be my guts decieving me.

Ok. Then i'll build one of this  :D

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B3rreo

My method is simple in mountains it's very cold i dig into a mountain and store food there it almost doesn't spoil

That's very clever. I forgot about the temperature change with altitude. I need to check temperature on that mountain next to my home.

I just leave it in a vessel anywhere and cut the rot off it every day

Build a thatch tower to ~240 and a covered house on top for long-term bulk storage.

Wait, darkness reduces the spoilage rate?

I've been just keeping my food in a chest and trimming off the rot every other day.  It helps pass the nights, but is a bit of a pain.

Light reduces temperature in addition to ambient temperature, total darkness being a 25% reduction (according to changelogs). The most effective storage is a dark hole, in mid winter, as far north as possible.

Shame nothing can survive there to be stored.

On the other hand, broad daylight closer to the equator, food would rot quickly. Yet food is plentiful, grows year round, and if it is wet, irrigation is a non-issue. Crop cycling keeps it up, but the work never ends.

Where most people seem to end up, in a more temperate seasonal climate, you work on what you can, store where you can, and keep your larder full for winter. When it comes to functional anywhere though, altitude is really the only factor. Find a mountain nearby, make a path to the top, build a tower, and keep some wolves around, or have a neighbor just live up there.

This person would likely become an invaluable member of your community, managing your food stores, making meals, and hosting feasts, while making various whiskeys and wines. Perhaps they double as a builder, or lumberjack. Either way, theirs is the home that will be the lifeblood (or perhaps the fatty tissue that stores energy?) that keeps your wonderful hamlet flourishing.

And then creepers and raiders...

Yup.

The light level increases or decrases the surrounding temperature. The temperature inside my hovel is roughly 4ºC higher than the outside ambient temp due to the torch lighting.

The temperature also changes with the seasons, the altitude and the latitude (in my last game i settled near the equator and the average temp in summer was 40ºC).

"The rate at which a piece of food decays is dependent on the item, as well as the ambient temperature. Light levels affect temperature, so the best place to store food is in a cool, dark place."

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Food#Decay

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Ambient_Temperature

I have biblocraft on my server. It seems that when I store food items in its shelves and such, it auto adds decay when I take the item out of storage. And it seems to add the decay as if the time was spent on loaded chunks...? Food decays faster when chunks are unloaded right?

No. Food decays all the time. If it was stored in a way that doesn't allow it to update it's decay, the decay will be "frozen". For example in unloaded chunks or in non-TFC storage. But the moment the item gets gets updated, by either picking it up or being in loaded chunk, it "catches up" to all time it didn't have time to update it's decay. So it seems as if it decays really fast. Also, the rate of decay is same for both loaded and uloaded chunks.

No. Food decays all the time. If it was stored in a way that doesn't allow it to update it's decay, the decay will be "frozen". For example in unloaded chunks or in non-TFC storage. But the moment the item gets gets updated, by either picking it up or being in loaded chunk, it "catches up" to all time it didn't have time to update it's decay. So it seems as if it decays really fast. Also, the rate of decay is same for both loaded and uloaded chunks.

Incorrect, the new FDP system is specifically for food in unloaded chunks. That's how it works on servers.

But that only kicks in after 18 MC days of item not being updated. If the item gets updated even 17.9 days after it was last updated, it will catch up to the lost time, decaying completely.

Most people on my server build a tower into the sky, and store their food in there. Up at 250, the temperature is very low, and since I've adjusted the decay times down on the server to about 8 times slower than default, players are saying it close to doesn't decay at all. People found a way to cheat the decay system, by simply making a tower with a ladder attached to reach below freezing temps at optimal locations for growing crops at ground elevation. It's pretty well eliminated the problems or hassle of decay and made playing just like it was before the food decay system was put into place.

Don't worry thatch towers will get nerfed.

Please don't nerf mountains in the process...

I'm sure they take biomes into consideration.

But does food in a vessel decay the same in a chest or placed on the ground? Or is there any difference?

But does food in a vessel decay the same in a chest or placed on the ground? Or is there any difference?

There is no difference if the vessel is on the ground or in a chest, unless the location of one is warmer than the other.

I agree, keep the nerf to the thatch itself.  Or do an overhall of structure mechanics.  But keep the cold temperatures at higher altitudes.