Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mossman

Blast furnace balancing

6 posts in this topic

The new requirements for blast furnace chimneys seems to me to be a bit excessive. Metal sheets in particular seem like a quite arbitrary requirement, as from a realistic standpoint they'd only increase heat conduction from the furnace. This doesn't seem believable and it irritates me.

The same point can be said about the construction of the furnace block itself, or even the bloomery, in that a refractory ceramic would actually be used rather than the metal sheets, which are forced in order to enforce a linear metal progression.

I should also like to note that graphite really isn't used as a part of fireclay. Kaolinite group clay without additive is what's generally referred to as 'fireclay'.

In general I feel that constructing the furnace has been made rather arbitrarily difficult. Balance-wise, I'd rather be spending the bulk of my effort in designing structures and getting food (which is a bit trivial at this point, even with food decay) rather than smithing out the 40 (80 ingots worth!) iron sheets needed for a modest 2-block high blast furnace.

If steel production should be made difficult, more focus should be put on making minerals (ore) rarer and/or more challenging to extract.

Thoughts?

TFC is being balanced for SMP. That means everything should be taken as done by 3-5 people. One guy mines stuff, one guy makes charcoal, other takes care of food, etc.. In this case, the requirements are not really excessive. But I do agree that for anyone playing single player, this is extremely tedious. I can't even imagine what will I do to process all those blooms.

Just to be clear, I am playing multiplayer and still have these objections.

haha the Blast Furnace itself require 32 ingots and the chimney, 24.

56 ingots....

Excessive?

I agree that building the blast furnace is very tedious. I do not really care about the amount required, we just strip-mined a single vein of Hematite and got more than enough to build it, but the sheer time it takes and the fact that you cannot go away from the forge/bloomery for too long without melting things or loosing the heat, basically forced me to stand there 3 RL days just putting bloom from one place to the other, till eventually the thing was built. Now we just lack the fire clay (still, after clearing two veins) to increase the size of the chimney.

I would love to see a change here to have the whole thing be a little more interesting. Slamming the hammer on the anvil for countless hours is just no fun at all (an no challenge either).

You have some top of the line thoughts +rep

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0