Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hans_Lemurson

How do you get more Crop Seeds?

20 posts in this topic

Picking crops like tomatoes gives you lots of extra seeds with each harvest, but I can't seem to expand my supply of Carrot and Rye seeds.

An early frost just wiped out my Rye crop and I was only able to salvage half of the seeds, and I'm left wondering how I'm ever going to get any more.  

Is your seed supply limited simply to how many wild crops you can pick?  The wild crops in my area got wiped out by the winter too (including a small patch of Corn that I'll never get now) and so the only seeds I have are ones I harvested before the cold came.

How can I expand my seed supply (for crops that are destructively harvested) so that I can grow enough crops for the future?  Is there something I have overlooked?

with higher level of skill, you have chances to get 2 seeds when harvesting

Hmm, with just 6 rye seeds and my climate giving me only 1 crop per year...that could be a while before I can regularly satisfy my grain needs.

Any idea how much Agriculture skill I would need for a certain percentage of double-drops?

that's very interesting, the fact you said: "an early frost just wiped out my rye crops" made me think about something. Could devs develop other havoc like this one.

like infestations of insects?

yeah, isn't it easy, actually, to instantly get a average-lage crops field at the beginning? YEAH, you just have to quickly gather some crops and plant them!!

Infestations require the player to keep an eye on his agricultural skills and verify if they are high enough to support his actual field size.
If no, there could be a chance of infestation.

This should prevent the player to expand his field as long as he's not skilled enough.

I'm pretty sure that now, wild crops re-spawn

Any idea how much Agriculture skill I would need for a certain percentage of double-drops?

I'm not really sure, but actually i'm at 168 and like quart of the time I got two seeds from one crop if it can help you.

not 2 vegetables per crop.

yes i think it is Allen.

If someone can confirm.

On a related subject: I pulled up my carrots as well to avoid them getting killed by winter, but I read that they are a "Hardy" crop, and the wiki says that they will survive the cold "while still young".  What does that mean in practice?

-Would mature carrots be vulnerable even when the seedlings are not?

-What happens if a young carrot matures in the winter, will it suddenly become vulnerable and pop out of the ground?

-Or does crop growth halt altogether at subzero temperatures?

-Does temperature even affect crop growth speed at all?

From the 78.0 Changelog:

• Wild crops should now respawn every year between April and September. 

On a related subject: I pulled up my carrots as well to avoid them getting killed by winter, but I read that they are a "Hardy" crop, and the wiki says that they will survive the cold "while still young".  What does that mean in practice?

-Would mature carrots be vulnerable even when the seedlings are not?

-What happens if a young carrot matures in the winter, will it suddenly become vulnerable and pop out of the ground?

-Or does crop growth halt altogether at subzero temperatures?

-Does temperature even affect crop growth speed at all?

As long as carrots are in the first stage of growth when winter hits, they will survive throughout the entire winter. Cold temperature slows the growth of crops, or halts it entirely for the case of cold hardy ones. If your carrot is grown past the first stage when the temperatures decrease, they will pop off just like any other crop.

It would be nice is crops could have a "dead" stage so we can salvage the seeds from dead plants.

On another topic, how do you get more berry bushes?

On another topic, how do you get more berry bushes?

From the 78.0 Changelog:

• Added berry bushes to world generation. Bushes cannot be multiplied, so what is found through exploration is what you get. Some bushes are thorny and will damage players and mobs

From the 78.0 Changelog:

• Wild crops should now respawn every year between April and September.

Now does that mean they will respawn between October and March in the Southern Hemisphere, since seasons are reversed there? (I'm playing on a server that starts you off in the Southern Hemisphere.)

Kitty, how do the bushes work? I found 2 near spawn, winterberry and thornberry bushes, but when I destroyed both of them I got no berries, I'm in in early summer by the way. Out of season perhaps?

From the 78.0 Changelog:

• Added berry bushes to world generation. Bushes cannot be multiplied, so what is found through exploration is what you get. Some bushes are thorny and will damage players and mobs

Now does that mean they will respawn between October and March in the Southern Hemisphere, since seasons are reversed there? (I'm playing on a server that starts you off in the Southern Hemisphere.)

I'm not sure on that one, I'll have to ask Bioxx/Dunk and check for myself to get back to you.

Kitty, how do the bushes work? I found 2 near spawn, winterberry and thornberry bushes, but when I destroyed both of them I got no berries, I'm in in early summer by the way. Out of season perhaps?

You should have gotten the berry bush blocks when you broke them. You can plant them back down, and it will be at least a year in game before they produce fruit again. Berry bushes are like the leaves on the fruit trees; it will be obvious when they have fruit on them, and you just right click to harvest, you don't need to actually break the block.

Ohhh, I see. I think I lost the fruit when I broke the bushes before right-clicking them. And that was the only food nearby :(Will you update the wiki pages of Food and/or Fruit trees with the new bushes? I can do that on monday

Yes. The fruit tree and bush pages are next on my to do list for the wiki, and should be done by the end of this weekend. If you want to keep up to date with what I'm currently working on with the wiki, you can follow me on twitter @Kittychanley

From the 78.0 Changelog:

Will bushes re-spawn like wild crops, or no?

Alright, just finished digging through the code. Wild crop respawn does indeed count for the southern half of the map, so they will always spawn from Spring to Late Summer.

You should have gotten the berry bush blocks when you broke them. You can plant them back down, and it will be at least a year in game before they produce fruit again.

I think that's not entirely true. I just planted some Gooseberry and Strawberry bushes this winter, and they all gave fruit this spring.Maybe you just need to plant the bushes before their fruit season.

I think that's not entirely true. I just planted some Gooseberry and Strawberry bushes this winter, and they all gave fruit this spring.Maybe you just need to plant the bushes before their fruit season.

That post was made before 78.14 was released. Although it doesn't state it explicitly, the message in the changelog:

Bushes can now refruit multiple times in the same year if they are within the proper seasonally adjusted growth times.

Also changed it so that bushes could fruit in the same year that they were planted.