Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Two

[Won't Fix] Ocean biomes are too big

16 posts in this topic

Version #: 78.9

Suggested Name: ocean biomes are too big

Suggested Category: Annoying

Description: Ocean biomes seem to follow the vanilla size, which causes them to often be extremely huge. While in Vanilla you still had the option to mine in them, they are thanks to the enhanced difficulty basically useless in TFC, yet they cover huge parts of the map. On my current world I just traveled over 10,000 blocks through one big ocean and all there was were some tiny islands. This is basically 10,000² blocks waste of chunks.

Expected: Oceans should not be bigger than 2,000² blocks top.

Yep. One I created a survival world (cheats) in build 78.7. I spawned on a single sand block. Went onto creative. went about 1 000 000 blocks before finding an island. 500 blocks away a found a real piece of land, with no ore nuggets. Oceans should be MUCH smaller.

Dunk actually wants to make oceans bigger.

If Dunk makes the oceans any bigger, there won't be any land left to play on... Oo

Posted Image

Dunk actually wants to make oceans bigger.

This is crazy, things like this make gameplay only boring, tell him that bigger oceans will have negative impact on the community

In addition to the fact that oceans are rather useless as of how TFC works, boats are bugged too, which makes it difficult to navigate the ocean as well.

I am having the same problem, but with rocks. I travel 8,000 blocks, and still the same rock, Phyollite.

I am having the same problem, but with rocks. I travel 8,000 blocks, and still the same rock, Phyollite.

People keep bringing up the size of rock layers, so I decided to do an experiment. Using a modified version of our "removearea" command, I opened up a new world with a random seed, and removed everything from the surface that wasn't a stone block, to show the size and shapes of layers on the surface. I then mapped the area using journeymap, and came up with the following 4096x4096 image, where each pixel represents 1 block.

Posted Image

Here's a mini version at 1/4th the size, with a rough outline drawn on the layers for visibility.

Posted Image

As you can see, within a 4,096 block diameter, there are nine separate stone layers. That's almost half of the 22 available stone types, and doesn't even take into consideration what may be in the middle and bottom stone layers of that area. Considering that it's a common expectation for players to travel around 10,000 blocks in one direction to find a specific stone material, I'd say the current size of the stone layers is perfectly reasonable.

Now I'm not saying that it's not impossible for you to literally have a continuous phyllite layer that's over 8,000 wide, but I am saying that you just got really unlucky if that's actually the case, and that you likely walked in a line that spanned the widest part of the stone layer. That exact same 8,000 block wide phyllite layer may have been only 2,000 blocks wide if you walked in a different direction. Minecraft uses procedural generation, and there is nothing stopping two adjacent stone layers to be made of the same stone type, creating one mega-layer. However, the chances of it choosing one out of 22 stone types twice right next to each other is pretty low.

Sometimes you're going to get unlucky, and have to travel a bit further, but there's pretty much nothing that we can feasibly do to completely stop that from happening. Some seeds a worse than others, but that's just something you have to deal with considering that this is a mod for Minecraft, and Minecraft uses procedural generation.

Cool map. Are the flat areas the oceans? The mountains are clearly visible as peaks. I still regret there are no continuous highland regions though.

I remember Bioxx or Dunk posting a similar map last year. I can't find it, but I remember calculating a typical width of 500 blocks for each stone region -- i.e., much smaller regions. Am I remembering wrong?

The code that determines the size of rock layers has not been altered in a way that would change the size as far back as I can look at the history of the code (so like build 76).

Vanilla 1.7 was the update that added the biome temperature zones which are much larger. If TFC was hooking into those calls, its regions could have increased without knowing it?

It's not, we use our own biome generator that's written from scratch.

Maybe a config option/worldgen option could be used for scaling ocean sizes? Ginormous ocean worlds would be great with ships that can carry a majority of your belongings etc,

As for people playing Terrafirmacraft without other mods oceans should stay at the size they are now its challenging like it would have been if it was real life, but without ships that can carry tons of items to and from continents. 

Just a suggestion for the future lol feel free to ignore it xD

People keep bringing up the size of rock layers, so I decided to do an experiment. Using a modified version of our "removearea" command, I opened up a new world with a random seed, and removed everything from the surface that wasn't a stone block, to show the size and shapes of layers on the surface. I then mapped the area using journeymap, and came up with the following 4096x4096 image, where each pixel represents 1 block.

Would it be possible to know how to use this removearea command ? Curious about the rock biomes map in my world

Would it be possible to know how to use this removearea command ? Curious about the rock biomes map in my world

I edited the code for the command in my dev environment so it would specifically remove everything but stone. The standard behavior of removearea that you will get in a released copy of the mod will just remove everything, including stone.