Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TomatoThief

Agriculture: Reap or Reap(lant)

18 posts in this topic

Similar to vanilla pumpkin mechanics, most or all vegetable seeds should come directly from the fruit (in the crafting grid), and in greater quantities. Harvest one tomato, get one tomato. Eat one tomato, or harvest 2-4 seeds from tomato. This presents a more meaningful game dynamic of harvest vs reinvesting for future yield. Ag skill could influence the yield.

How many seeds come from a tomato in real life? Maybe 10-80 depending on the breed. We gotta suspend disbelief somewhere in the name of balance. But not squirrels - they care nothing for balance. They will take one bite from each of your tomatoes and let them rot on the ground. I've seen a squirrel carry German Johnsons straight up a 50-foot pine tree and just line them up on a branch. They're vindictive little rats. I recommend the Ruger Air Hawk, which will FedEx a lead pellet at 1,000 feet per second to the bushy-tailed rat of your choosing. You can use the scope, if you're a coward. Personally, I have a hit rate of 0%. But at least I'm no coward.

Regards,

TT

damn squirrel, get out of my garden!

but seriously, this is important. i'm having trouble increasing my farms because my one greenbean plant only ever drops one seed.  if i could sacrifice the bean for seeds, this would be much less of a problem.

The problem would be in coding. It is much easier to code the seeds drop the way it is right now than it is to get from food with weight in crafting grid. Especially if you want to account player skill. Let me stress one thing : crafting implementation in minecraft is extremely rigid and inextensible. Many of the crafting features you see in TFC are ugly hacks and it is wonder they actually work. 

Then create a block that converts X oz of vegetable into x number of seeds.  You could even make it dependent on farming skill and have it possible to return 0 seeds at an early level.

I really like the idea, but the problems lies not in the code (I think this could be "easy", it can be done as a shapeless recipe if ) but more about of obtaining the first seeds. As things are right now we find a wild plant and harvest it no matter its developing state to get its seed. Unless you add a mechanic where the growth and/or the weight of the harvest are dependent on the origin of the seed rather than fixed value (new mechanics like weather if implemented are apart)

But not squirrels - they care nothing for balance. They will take one bite from each of your tomatoes and let them rot on the ground. I've seen a squirrel carry German Johnsons straight up a 50-foot pine tree and just line them up on a branch. They're vindictive little rats. I recommend the Ruger Air Hawk, which will FedEx a lead pellet at 1,000 feet per second to the bushy-tailed rat of your choosing. You can use the scope, if you're a coward. Personally, I have a hit rate of 0%. But at least I'm no coward.

Is that the reason for your account name and photo/avatar?

Anyways, what if crops gave 1 seed for every 20 ox of crop?

So if you put a crop in the crafting grid, it'll give you 1 seed, and subtract 20 oz from the crop, sorta like cutting it with a knife. I think that would work

Is that the reason for your account name and photo/avatar?

Yep.

I try to tailor my suggestions to what I believe would be easiest to code. I know little to nothing about the coding of Minecraft or TFC, so I have to assume what "seems" to be simple is; otherwise all my suggestions would be completely ridiculous, instead of just somewhat ridiculous. The seeds / oz of crop sounds good, but since each harvest usually yields a 16 oz item, I would want it to be more like 1 seed per 10 or 5 oz for a net gain.

Before the new food system was implemented, this was indeed how you got seeds (food in the crafting table gives 2 seeds, grain gives 1). However, as Euphoric stated, because of the way that the new weight system is handled.. getting seeds from food via crafting would be extremely complicated to code.

How about an item like a spindle or something, simple to craft, and you craft that with crops to get seeds? or is that still the same?

That's still the exact same problem. The issue that makes it complicated is converting the weight of the food into a number of seeds.

Oh, I see, I don't know anything about programming, so...

I suppose we can just make 1 crop item=1 seed, and leave the players to cut the crops before they turn it into seeds or something.

Or.... What if we can harvest a plant when it ripens, or wait a bit longer, and the longer we wait, the less crops and more seeds we get, until we get 5ish seeds with no crops?

That's still the exact same problem. The issue that makes it complicated is converting the weight of the food into a number of seeds.

I saw Bioxx talking about making seed bags have weight. Those were mostly jokes, but this is a solution to the problem still.

As a developer I can tell you that it is slightly more complicated to code because of the weight, but using the mechanics already in place for the meal crafting it's not that difficult to have a block with a UI with two slots and a button.  On the left you pop in something that could make seeds.  If it has more than (picking an arbitrary number here, would need to be tested for balance) 10oz the button lights up and is enabled to click on.  If you click on the button, it removes 10oz from the item in the left box and spits out one seed in the right box (or optionally it checks your farming skill and spits out 0-3 seeds...again just picking arbitrary numbers).  Reuse the code you already have in place to decrease the weight from the meal crafting grid and all you are left to code is the block itself and it's UI.

Can't you just mae it so the amount of seeds that are returned is directly proportional to the weight? Maybe one seed bag per 16 ounces. I'm familiar with Java, and I don't thin that would be too hard, considering you already have special crafting handlers for your foods.

How about having seeds simply be a byproduct of the meal creation system?  If you put in, say, venison, potato, carrot, and bread, you'd get back potato and carrot seeds in addition to the meal?

Can't you just mae it so the amount of seeds that are returned is directly proportional to the weight? Maybe one seed bag per 16 ounces. I'm familiar with Java, and I don't thin that would be too hard, considering you already have special crafting handlers for your foods.

Yes, but not every crop drops at least a 16oz piece on harvest, so it would be messy to balance and a bit annoying from the player's POV that they have to combine a bunch of their food together in order to get seeds.

I know. I'm just kind of putting it out there - you could always use a higher or lower number than 16 oz. 4 ounces, for example.