Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Dano6655

Damage Types

15 posts in this topic

So I would like to start a discussion because i have a bit of a problem with what's currently in place.

Here's the current quote from the changelog:

• [*]Mobs taking damage is now affected by the different damage types. For example, piercing damage is completely useless against Skeletons.

I think this is very unfair. All ranged weapons are piercing type weapons and are therefore useless against skeletons. So we can't attack the most dangerous mob without getting close which will usually involves getting shot a few times. Skeleton damage is way to high relative to our health for this to be ok. Maybe if we had a reliable method of regen like potions but the nether can't be accessed because it crashes the game upon entering. In particular I think spears should be able to damage skeletons. There's no way a spear is "too small" as to not damage a skeleton. Any sort of "they will pass through it's bones" argument is completely rediculous so please don't bring that up. I think if we want this like this, where you hit them needs to factor in. For example, if you javlin a skeleton in the face there's no way it does zero damage. I also feel that armored skeletons should be damaged pretty effectively by piercing as well.

I'd like to here what everyone else thinks about this.

That's reasonable...like having unarmored skeletons being damaged primarily by head-shots, and the more armored varietys would take slightly more damage to thier bodys due to the armor kind of thing? Though I feel like if they just added somthing like being able to toss your hammer at them or bolas they'd be much easier to kill. 

A skeleton wearing armor will only be more likely to take damage to its armor. No vital areas on the mob itself are increased by wearing armor. I would leave that as-is.

That aside, I think your concern is valid. Hammer throwing is a good suggestion. I believe the devs are still planning to move skeletons and other fantasy creatures underground, reducing this threat to new characters.

I think it's fine that skeletons are basically immune to piercing damage. It's believable and provides for interesting gameplay that promotes using different weapons.

Not having any kind of ranged weapon to deal with them is a valid point though, or some way to get close without taking damage. A shield would be nice.

And if that dumb vanilla mechanic of shooting faster the closer you get is still there, that needs to go as well.

To be fair, the attack rate of skeletons was actually cut in half because you can only melee them now. So while they still will damage you, they wont' damage you as much.

I think Skeletons are great now that you can't snipe them from outside of aggro range. They're actually frighteningly difficult now and something to be feared. I mean, heck, aren't undead supposed to be scary? I don't want them to be any easier, but I wouldn't mind if they were less common (ie underground only).

Skeletons were always a pretty big threat. I just liked that i could occasionally pick one off if i needed to with a ranged weapon. All the other mobs are perfectly reasonable to engage without taking damage with melee weapons while now with a skeleton that's pretty much not the case. You'll usually get shot at least once. Basically ranged weapons aren't really that useful since the one mob I'd want to use them against, I can't.

I think we need some range weapon that isn't piercing, like a sling to throw rocks or something, but that's just me.

But in the start of the game, the things you can use as weapons is the javelin, knife, and axe, and both knife and axe have low damage, so they aren't really a good weapon alternative, and javelins and knives are piercing, so it won't work against skeletons. And if the skeletons happens to have a metal javelin, you can't really do much, as they kill you in 2~3 hits even when full health, and you can't get armor of any kind until you get metal

Need to know when it's time to run, and when it's time to crush bones with a mace.

Got a spear skeleton that jumped in my face and he was quickly reduced to silence with my bronze mace. He was not able to shot me once.

It should also be noted that stone hammers do crushing damage. They aren't officially "weapons" so they will take double durability for each hit, but they're still one of the best stone tools to use against skellies.

Ooh, never knew that.

Well, I have no problems now

I think it's important to have features that make sense, at least on some level. It makes it easier to remember things in my opinion.

This feature doesn't actually make sense though. The argument that an arrow or javlin won't damage a skeleton is simply an extreme exaguration. Javlin in particular. It's even worse because skeletons now will endlesses duel eachother, taking that element out of the game. Not only that skeletons have more health then other mobs AND STILL take less damage from swords then the others. I've been playing with damage indicators so I'm not just estimating on these things. I just feel that skeletons are way too strong in comparison to all the other mobs and are also the only mobs to spawn with armor.

Two pair of words: "Francisca axe" and "Hammer bros". With the best feature that TFC has around metal working it amaze me that there are only a small selection of weapons. I guess they are going to be added later, though ^_^ . 

I never had problems with the current build, I find it to be better to run or stay home at night. Its easy to survive the undead when you don't engage in the first place, if you can keep that option open. When it comes to skeletons and piercing damage, realism I say it works. You are stabbing at a lot of empty spaces, plus there are no vitals to hit although maybe the ligaments holding the bones together. Game balance I do agree piecing should do some damage, just not a lot. Plus it does give reason for different damage types, I do assume combat is going to be revamped later on.