Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
zem

Saplings?

12 posts in this topic

Hi, 

so I am playing in my world for 2 ingame-years now. 

I started out near a forest. I cleared out a big chunk of the forest by now, but no saplings or trees appear. 

I have to cut leafes with a scythe and replant them manually. 

Were the self-planting saplings taken out of the game, or do i just have to wait longer?

mfg

What's the average temperature of the forest you are living in? Is tall grass regrowing, or is that not happening for you either? There was a change to make it so that saplings and tall grass only regenerate in areas with a temperature above 20.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I just checked my average temperature. Its 17.44 

No tall grass is growing either. Thats good to know. I'll pack my bags and move to a warmer climate i guess :D

By the way, as far as i know you are managing the wiki too, right? 

This information would be helpful, if it was on the trees/wood page.

Thanks!

mfg

Edit: Would sapling spawn during summer if the temperature is over 20? Or is id dependant on average temperature?

Thanks for the fast reply!

I just checked my average temperature. Its 17.44 

No tall grass is growing either. Thats good to know. I'll pack my bags and move to a warmer climate i guess :D

By the way, as far as i know you are managing the wiki too, right? 

This information would be helpful, if it was on the trees/wood page.

Thanks!

mfg

Edit: Would sapling spawn during summer if the temperature is over 20? Or is id dependant on average temperature?

It's the temp at that time, so if you have warmer summer, grass and saplings will grow.

So, i've moved to another (warmer) location. 

I've spent a whole summer next to a forested area. again i cleared a bunch of trees to feed my hungry bloomery. 

Tallgrass is regrowing, but i have yet to see a sapling spawning. (Hickory and sequoia)

Another question:

Does the biome spawn the saplings or do grown trees spread them?

mfg

The trees that were there on world gen determine the sapling spawn, not the trees currently there.. so Biome would be the closest answer.

Keep an eye out for those saplings and I'll take a look into the code when I get some free time.

What's the average temperature of the forest you are living in? Is tall grass regrowing, or is that not happening for you either? There was a change to make it so that saplings and tall grass only regenerate in areas with a temperature above 20.

With this states that in places like Sweden tree will never spread and regrow lol

After double checking the code, the saplings require a temperature >20 as well as line of sight directly up to the sky in order to generate, while tall grass just requires the warmer temperature and and a high enough rainfall value.

Semi-related sapling question: Is it intentional Acacia trees do not provide saplings (like Kapok)? 

Yes. You can check the FAQ page: http://terrafirmacraft.com/faq.html for the reasoning behind it.

Oh I understand the reasoning behind it when I checked on Kapok. But given Acacia was newly added and there's been a noted glitch or two about them and their planks, I just wasn't sure :) 

After double checking the code, the saplings require a temperature >20 as well as line of sight directly up to the sky in order to generate, while tall grass just requires the warmer temperature and and a high enough rainfall value.

So saplings are able to spawn after all. Thats good to know.

I am producing steel by now, my save is about 15-20 hours old. Never saw a sapling that I didnt`t plant.

Just to be sure: I know sequoia doesn't drop saplings when you break the leaves, but they are able to spawn naturally right?