Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
SpicyMcHaggis206

Volunteering.

6 posts in this topic

Is there a thread anywhere for players with a programming background who are willing to help implement features into TFC? I did a quick search of the forum and didn't turn anything up. But I've been interested in helping out with the development for a while but didn't really know where to look or if they even want to have the code open to the general public.

The code is on github, you can clone it and submit pull requests. People do it all the time. I'm actually not sure how they feel about posting the actual link to the code here, though. So your first test is to find it :P

This topic is a great source of information in regards to what you can do to help with TFC, and what you should write as an addon instead:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5174-

The basic TL;DR would be

Leave feature implementation to the official devs (Bioxx and Dunk), this is their mod, and they do the planning and make the decisions for what new things are added to the mod, and how they are balanced.

Github also sucks for branch/fork management, so make sure to come visit us in IRC (#tfcraft on esper) to get the OK on any changes that you plan on making, so you don't screw up a class that somebody else was already working on.

That post did help. So basically small bug fixes and documentation until I can prove I'm not an idiot. 

Thanks Kitty. 

From experience, I would say that there is some things that could be implemented if Bioxx say "yes, but I have other things to do". For example, I saw a post on the forum where Dunk or Bioxx said that calamari sounded like a good idea, there was even a texture ready. I asked if it would be implemented, the same day, someone else coded it, you can see the result here.

I have an other example : translation, just check Bioxx quote in the second post I made.

My advice would be to

- Read the support section, be aware of bugs, check if you can fix them.

- Read the suggestion section and see what are the tendencies, and what bioxx and dunk think about it. If you have an idea that is simple, ask to Bioxx when he is online, you might have a positive answer. But of course, there is things that I would not ask, like more 3d (bioxx even said no to dunk), no touch to dunk's animal code, and things like that.

- Be present on irc and listen,

What about dyed quiver? That's a new feature that Bioxx would most likely accept.

Volunteer coders can be quite handy, but for the most part, it's when someone codes a feature we planned to do anyway. We don't just let anyone decide what goes in the mod :P