Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darkwhip

Grindstone, Sharpen your sword !

12 posts in this topic

Actually a very simple idea, why not add a Grindstone technology that we manually manipulate (Normaly) and makes turn the grindstone to sharppen our swords,scythe,knife to make it '' lethal''. You can take example of the Grindstone in Skyrim  the manner how it works. And when I think to it the Handstone could be used as a ''part'' of the Grindstone machine just like the Quern you add the handstone in it and allow you to sharpen your sword or Knife etc.. otherwise unsharpen tools/weapon wouldn't have any use or efficiency.

Anyway

Cordialy Darkwhip

Well, let me just say it'll be an understatement for me to say I'm simply glad that this topic got restarted.

I think tool sharpness would be a great part of the game.

This is what I posted last time to a topic that was similar to this(too lazy, so it's a copy&post. :/)

So I think the dull thing should each have 4 stages.
dull, normal, sharp, over-sharpened,
Each stage can have a different amount of *s till it moves onto the next stage, depending on the tool type and metal type.
You sharpen tools to make it sharper, at the cost of some durability. 
Tools will turn dull after many uses and will have to be re-sharpened.

A dull tool will take longer to do an action and deal less damage, normal tools are normal, and sharp tools will deal more damage and work faster.  a over-sharpened tool will be faster and deal lots more damage than sharp tools, but will lose sharpness and durability much, much, much faster, and not last longer than a few uses before it turns dull

But I think even dull tools should be usable to a degree. Otherwise, it'll just make chopping trees in the stone age even more of a pain

Wait... this has been suggested before.

Yes, it has. It's still a good idea

yep!! I remember your post Allen and still love it today. So damn a great idea!!

I've advocated such an idea in the past, but smithing in general is bioxx's domain, and weapon sharpening doesn't fit into his vision of it. I know bioxx well enough to know that he isn't just vetoing it because he doesn't like it. He puts effort into considering the ramifications of potential features.

um, ramifications? what's that?

ram·i·fi·ca·tion

noun

- a consequence of an action or event, especially when complex or unwelcome.

I also like this idea, but it will probably just result in people carrying around a half dozen tools so that they don't have to stop to sharpen every time. And that causes inventory stress.

I have a hard time imagining a way of implementing it without the net result being people finding tedious and non-fun ways around it. Which would just make people complain.

Unfortunately.

Because it is a good idea, in principle.

HYENA GRIN

"Carrying around a half dozen tools"

You're kidding me? 12 ingots for that?? No no no, I keep my ingots for anvils or for bloomeries  ;) Not for 12 axes. :)

I think sharpening your tools/weapons could just be a fun new mechanic and cool bonus. That's it.

I also like this idea, but it will probably just result in people carrying around a half dozen tools so that they don't have to stop to sharpen every time. And that causes inventory stress.

If the tool dulls so fast that you have to carry around like 6 of every tool, then that system defiantly has something wrong with it.

You do realize that it can be made so you only have to sharpen every once in a while so you don't have to do all that right? or, just carry a grindstone with you.

So I just recently started using this mod along side Zans Minimap mod, and I had an interesting suggestion.  Sharpening tools would be a cool addition.  You could maybe sharpen a blade up to 10x, each time repairing it a certain amount.  This little GUI would pop up and it'd resemble the edge of a blade.  You could click the blade or edge to reform the blade to be able to continue working with it, but at the expense of rocks.  You could also sharpen it too much and damage the blade by making it weaker.  It'd be a precision mechanic meant to resemble real life tools, such as with knives and using whetstones.  Personally, I think this would be a good addition to the mod, and would add to the realistic qualities this mod already possesses.

Another idea is completely repairing a tool by "salvaging" parts.  You could put the tool in a table, and it'd give you the parts back.  You could then melt down the metal (receiving less than is required to make it based on durability) and re-smith/cast the tool part so it could be reused.  This would also be a cool new addition to the mod that would allow repair of damaged tools, instead of having to replace the entire tool.

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate topic, merged into older, existing one.