Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Staying with 1.6.4 discussion

Staying with 1.6.4   54 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if we stayed with 1.6.4?

• Very Disappointed
    • Somewhat Disappointed
    • Doesn't matter to me
    • I'm glad
    • I'm happy

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

There are a few features from 1.7 that I am quite fond of, namely:A) button-to-sprint instead of double-tap-forward

B) sound volume controls

C) shader settings (particularly fxaa)

D) resource pack priority settings

All of these things can be worked around (smart moving, editing resource packs manually, etc), but combined with the points raised by alice and cpw I think a 1.7 transition makes the most sense. Maybe Bioxx can work with the Optifine developers to get chunk loading performance up in TFC.

If you've read the post on the home page, the main reason why Bioxx is considering staying on 1.6.4 is because of just how resource heavy and laggy 1.7 is. Not just with the FPS, but down to the core of the game with how slow chunks load and all of that. A lot of people with older systems who can even run TFC on 1.6.4 with no issues, can't run Vanilla 1.7. It's that bad.

I haven't had any problems running 1.7; but I also have an I5 processor @ 340 GHz, 8gb ram, and GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST graphix. I actually don't have even have a problem flying around in an unloaded 'amplified' map. The lowest FPS I could record was 46.Also just did a test on a 1.79 AMP world with a tower of tnt, being as close as I could to being in the middle of the explosions my lowest FPS was 41.As a side note I give all versions of MC only 1gb of ram to work with.

All mod creators will port their work to newer versions of minecraft lest their project gets abandoned, and TFC should undergo this treatment likewise. I'm not saying it should happen now, maybe in 6 months to a year but keep developing towards 1.7/1.8/1.9.

I haven't had any problems running 1.7; but I also have an I5 processor @ 340 GHz, 8gb ram, and GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST graphix. I actually don't have even have a problem flying around in an unloaded 'amplified' map. The lowest FPS I could record was 46.Also just did a test on a 1.79 AMP world with a tower of tnt, being as close as I could to being in the middle of the explosions my lowest FPS was 41.As a side note I give all versions of MC only 1gb of ram to work with.

Note that in my post I mentioned performance problems for things other than just FPS. And looking at your computer specs, I would say you have a much better system than the average person who plays TFC, considering I deal with a lot of support requests for people still running a 32 bit OS.

If you've read the post on the home page, the main reason why Bioxx is considering staying on 1.6.4 is because of just how resource heavy and laggy 1.7 is. Not just with the FPS, but down to the core of the game with how slow chunks load and all of that. A lot of people with older systems who can even run TFC on 1.6.4 with no issues, can't run Vanilla 1.7. It's that bad.

As I almost never go to the main page, I did not saw that, thanks for pointing it out. I understand that performance issue with 1.7 can be a problem. However, do you think that game developers refrain from releasing games that ask better computers because people with lower end computer can not play their games ? I don't think so.

I have not tried walking in a 1.7 tfc world so I could not say how bad lag could be.

Seeing an outdated version number can be off-putting for new players. Personally, I always prefer to have the latest version for possible bug fixes.

Seeing an outdated version number can be off-putting for new players. Personally, I always prefer to have the latest version for possible bug fixes.

That's a good point. Having the most updated version of MC being used would probably grab a bit more attention. Although a lot of mods still use 1.6.4; so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I can't run Amplified (then again, that's probably intended) and have less problems with 1.7 than I do with TFC. I considered going to 64bit Java and weeping over losing Chrome . . . but after talking with some people they assured me doubling the cache size to 2GB would only mean it would take a little longer for Java to eat up the extra space and it would impact other things as well. 

I honestly don't care as much, if only because . . . as noted . . . TFC is pretty much an entire different game using the basics of Minecraft. It's much more complex, and slightly more rewarding to work with. (At least until you need to find that one specific ore to keep moving up the metals.) 

The point of "using an outdated version means some people won't try it" is kind of . . . hm, it may hold water. But given the launcher can grab any old version you want, and Forge keeps a good record of old versions for you to grab, I don't see the immense issue in that other than a psychological thing. If someone sees the mod and stops because it specifically wants 1.6.4 and a certain Forge version . . . they probably are better off. This mod is not something to dabble in to add something to Minecraft, this is a different experience altogether. (One which will make you feel a little odd going back to Vanilla where beds are easier to get, food walks to you every night, and you never have to worry about the ground collapsing under you due to a hidden cave.)

I understand that 1.7 can cause more lag issues but I find this hard to believe. My computer can barely run TFC with optifine installed and all the graphics at minimum setting and i can run vanilla in 1.7 with all settings at max with absolutely no lagg issues what so ever. 1.7 is neither as memory intentsive or CPU intensive as TFC but that's mostly because of world gen size.

Bug fixes in base minecraft code occur all the time. The increased render control/settings controls of 1.7 are worth the move foreword.