Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DcNdrew

Wood pile

21 posts in this topic

I may shouldn't make a new topic for this, but there weren't another one as I saw.

I would be happy if you recreate the way of the woodpiling.

First: I usually don't want to place down the log itself, but when I'm doing it, I'd like to use Shift, protecting myself from fall down, because I'm up on the house. On the ground I want to pile them, so now I have to Shift + right click, then release shift to place logs.

If you'd change it, that would be better. Placing logs with Shift+right is connected to building, simple right click with storing. Or a new modkey to change placing and storing.

Second: You can pile up ingots, straw and wood in pit kiln. Why would you do that with the woodpile? I saw in Let's plays and I found myself too in an irritating situation when you can't decide if your pile is full or not, or just have different woods in it. That's sorting problems too, but it would be great if we could see how many logs are in the pile or if it's possible, what kind of logs are there, without opening it up, of course.

Thank you! :)

I'm conflicted. In part I agree: I like the way logs are placed on the pit kiln. It would be great if logs stacked like that everywhere, in a 4x4 pile.

However, "stored" logs are one of my favorite early building materials. I think the outside texture looks much better than a "placed" log, and is much easier to remove. I'd hate to lose that.

There's a non-TFC mod called HoloInventory. I think you can use that.

This idea seems good, it would also help stop people from using log piles as a cheap roof. 

This idea seems good, it would also help stop people from using log piles as a cheap roof. 

Log Piles can't be placed without a solid block, or full log pile underneath them.. so you can't really use them as a cheap roof without some creative manipulating.

But you can remove logs from bottom one without the top one being affected. That allows you to still build using it, it is just harder and more tedious. One of the changes that could completely prevent this is when bottom pile is not full, or missing, the top one breaks and spews logs all over place. As if the wood pile crashed down.

"without some creative manipulating"

I believe what you are saying falls under the category of "creative manipulating"

A good way to prevent manipulations like these would be for wood piles auto-extract from piles above themselves when they are not full.

Or make them fall like sand

Who in his right mind goes thru the hassel of "creativly manipulating" logstacks to make a roof if you can just use thatch?

people who think log piles look good, and can't be bothered to gather and craft thatch, and possibly people who live near trees like kapok/sequoia/willow/etc so have a ton of logs to use

Who in his right mind goes thru the hassel of "creativly manipulating" logstacks to make a roof if you can just use thatch?

Might we then ask who in his right mind builds a roof when 3-high walls with an overhang outside is working perfectly fine? It's not always about efficiency, there's also the looks.

Log Piles can't be placed without a solid block, or full log pile underneath them.. so you can't really use them as a cheap roof without some creative manipulating.

But they aren't cheap—they require 1 log per, making them equivalent to a wood log support beam. The difference is purely aesthetic.

It's arguable whether the game should allow a wood pile to remain as an apparent support structure, rather than dropping its items as soon as it becomes unsupported. But it might be worth leaving it as a quirk for reasons of popularity.

I reealy like the way you store ingots. That piles looks great! And as for me - i hate wood piles. I didnt like that even 1 log will look like 16 logs.

So i got an idea - when you are "smelting" (dont know the right world for that process) clay staff you need to put 8 logs. And they look like ingot piles (i hope anybody will understand me..)

And i realy want to see all wood piles to look the same.

So - if you right click with a log in you hand you will place it on the ground. And it looks like it is only 1 lod on the ground.

Right click on a log pile brings you a gui, with 16 slots.

Ill even try to draw this.. But im not the best at this

This is how piles look for now (left). I want them to look more like the right one

Posted Image

And this is example of a gui

Posted Image

(It is 16 separate spots, so you can put 16 different logs in in)

I also suggest the gui to work this way - if you put a log in this gui (by right clicking with lod on a pile, or directly through gui) the log will auto move to the first empty slot, that is closer to begining in the gui

taking logs out with that gui will be a hassle.

If we're to make log piles like ingot piles, I say give all stored logs the color and/or texture of the log they are(aspen is white, oak is light brown, etc etc)

and make log piles only store one type per pile. But possibly make one pile store more wood than 16 to make up for having to start a new pile for each and every log type

You can take all logs from the pile with shift clicking on one of them.

I think, that storing only the same logs in a pile would be bad, because filling charcoal pits will be much more difficult

Lurking on this topic, waiting for the perfect opportunity to pounce post. Love where this discussion is going so far though!

Only posting to show my support and follow this topic.... For now.

I don't like that each log pile would be for one type, even with the compensation it would be really annoying and make charcoal production even more annoying as you would have to find more logs and could not just top off the piles with some extra logs of a different type. I know that the entire structure does not have to be one wood type, but it would still make charcoal production harder.  

Also, I like log piles the way they are.

We could have the log pile mentioned here, as a storage method, and we can have a 'log wall' or whatever made by crafting 4 logs like cobble that acts like the log piles right now(charcoaling, etc) except you can't use it as a storage for wood(well you can, but you get what I mean)

We could have the log pile mentioned here, as a storage method, and we can have a 'log wall' or whatever made by crafting 4 logs like cobble that acts like the log piles right now(charcoaling, etc) except you can't use it as a storage for wood(well you can, but you get what I mean)

Perfect balence between the old and (possibly) new IMO.