Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
crafter15

Underwhelming cave-ins

13 posts in this topic

I dug this big vein pretty much upwards from the bottom, and that's the best cave-in it could do? Only one layer dropped, only once. Clearly something is wrong.

How does one make a decent cave-in?

Posted Image

Yeah. I too noticed that cave-ins are far from what people make them. I mine without supports all the time and I never got hurt more than 1-2 "boxes" of health. And I remember that cave-ins were much bigger in previous versions. Did something change?

Some of the behind the scenes code regarding cave ins was indeed changed. If you really want to increase the chance of cave ins, as well as how large they will be, there are options in the TFCOptions.cfg file.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Configuration

Decrease initialCollapseRatio for cave ins to happen more often, and increase propogateCollapseChance to see larger cave ins. Obviously don't ever set propogateCollapseChance to 100% or all of the stone in the loaded chunks will collapse.

Aren't cave-ins supposed to destroy ore? And make the raw stone turn to cobblestone, too, which somewhat precludes what you can do with it, right?

Why are people wanting cave-ins again?

Because they're fun. Also, you can put a mob under it and drop it on its head. The possibilities!

I've been trying to bring down this baby:

Posted Image

I've dug through a baby like that; the trick to triggering a massive collapse is mining just above the ceiling all the way across. never fails. I think I accidentally made the entire thing cave in 3 or 4 times, the ground raised by 8 or 9 blocks in some areas lol.

What exactly triggers the cave-in? Is it just mining the bottom surface of a block, or can it happen from mining the side of a block which is over your head?

According to source code:

• Every time you mine a stone block, a chance happens
  • If chance happens, check 3x3 horizontal blocks around the one you mined and check if it can fall (eg. it has free space under it)
  • If suitable block is found, use this block as epicenter for the cave-in
  • Then, the cave-in propagates with probability across all blocks in horizontal directions, that can fall down. If there is air in the place, the cave-in propagates upwards. But never down.

So if the ceiling you are mining into is kind of jagged up/down, the cave-in will have hard time propagating and will cease after 2-3 blocks. This is usually what happens when you mine ores. But if you mine into actual cave, which generally have smooth ceilings, you can expect half of the cave falling on your head. Also, it generally makes one layer of stone fall, so you won't get suffocated by the cobble. Just little bit of damage from it falling on top of your head. It is possible that multiple layers will fall, but I guess it is too rare of an occurrence.

It's actually a bit more than "just a little bit of damage." From the cobblestone page of the wiki:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Cobblestone

Falling cobblestone, when it falls on a player or mob, will damage them. The damage amount depends on fall distance, doing 100HP damage for each block the cobblestone had fallen, maxing out at 2,000HP.

Keeping in mind that your max health is dependent on your nutrition values as well as your levels, a small cave in only a few blocks above your head might just be enough to kill a newer player.

Aren't cave-ins supposed to destroy ore? And make the raw stone turn to cobblestone, too, which somewhat precludes what you can do with it, right?

Why are people wanting cave-ins again?

Same reason we don't want to get red/blue steel by placing dirt in the crafting grid.

Challenge.

Same reason we don't want to get red/blue steel by placing dirt in the crafting grid.

Challenge.

Not quite what I meant out of the question. I mean why are people intentionally wanting to cause cave-ins. I don't have a problem with them happen if I'm careless or, well, if I accidentally breach a cavern and things fall. That's fine and part of the challenge, undoubtedly. (Kind of like how a few times in Vanilla I'd accidentally get dropped into a barely-covered lava pit in the desert when I tried getting some sand out.)

doing 100HP damage for each block the cobblestone had fallen

Thats why it always does little damage. I rarely dig in big caves and when I dig for ore I have extremely low ceiling. So the damage is minimized.

Not quite what I meant out of the question. I mean why are people intentionally wanting to cause cave-ins. I don't have a problem with them happen if I'm careless or, well, if I accidentally breach a cavern and things fall. That's fine and part of the challenge, undoubtedly. (Kind of like how a few times in Vanilla I'd accidentally get dropped into a barely-covered lava pit in the desert when I tried getting some sand out.)

Oh, why do people want to make cave-ins, not why people want cave-ins the the game...

I really don't know. Why do people want to collapse sand/gravel overhangs when they find them in vanilla minecraft? Why do some kids use nothing but creative mode and tnt when playing minecraft?

I suppose some people like destroying stuff just as much as building stuff