Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
weepysheep

Rain Barrels!

12 posts in this topic

I had an issue being too far from fresh water in my ideal settling spot, it was raining constantly and I had an idea that I thought might interest some people. 

What about a barrel (or a specialized barrel, maybe a slightly different recipe?) that could be placed with a clear shot to the sky, and could collect water from rain?

Something like 1 bucket / 1 hour of rain (maybe less to prevent being OP?) would be somewhat reasonable and I would think easy enough to accomplish. 

I apologize if this has already been suggested! but I didn't see it when I skimmed this forum. uvu

and I would think easy enough to accomplish. 

Please don't put those words into a feature request. You have no way to know how hard something can be to implement. Other than that, Yeah, I agree good idea.

The same way cauldrons fill with rain, why not barrels? Nice idea.

Extrafirma is an addon for TFC and it has rain collector that you place on top of barrels to fill them with water.  However, the crafting recipe is a mystery still since the page hasn't been updated with the latest changes the author made.

For a while I had thought that rain-barrels were actually in the game.  Then I learned about the bug that caused barrels set to "out" to drain uncontrolably into their neighbors.  That mystery water wasn't for the sky after all!

I agree though that rain barrels would be a nice thing to have.  It would allow you to settle in places that are further away from fresh water, like deserts or even islands in the ocean.

I think that this is a feature which is needed now that you cant drink salt water. It would enable you to mining for long periods of time in places with a lot of rain fall, but little lakes and ponds near you. Also, when you spawn in a island in the ocean with no fresh water you have to move, this would enable you to (at least for a time) live or mine there before moving on.

Great idea, I think that it would be great to see them implemented.

Now I would be curious if you think it would be better to have an additional collection device to put ontop of barrels like the extrafirma mod, or if you can set barrels to be open and just collect the water in them.

I think that a barrel full of water should be able to last for about 2 weeks, assuming there are approx. 30 gallons in a barrel and you drink around a gallon or two a day.

Barrels are going to change at some point soon. When they render with no lid when unsealed, it in fact WOULD be quite easy to fill with rain, or in 1.6 it would be. Not sure what sort of changes 1.7 brings to the table, but in 1.6 you'd merely check if the barrel could see the sky (no blocks above it) and if it was raining.

Extrafirma is an addon for TFC and it has rain collector that you place on top of barrels to fill them with water.  However, the crafting recipe is a mystery still since the page hasn't been updated with the latest changes the author made.

There is no rain collector yet, but it could be done for next version

Barrels are going to change at some point soon. When they render with no lid when unsealed, it in fact WOULD be quite easy to fill with rain, or in 1.6 it would be. Not sure what sort of changes 1.7 brings to the table, but in 1.6 you'd merely check if the barrel could see the sky (no blocks above it) and if it was raining.

Cool, can't wait to see. Will the barrels fill up immedietly after rain or only a bit every time it rains. (obviously having a max space)

I think that the barrels should fill during the rain, at a set rate, so that a short shower will only fill it up partially, but when it reaches the max, it would simply stop. So when it is raining there is a timer which corresponds to how many oz are in the barrel.