Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mileaos2

Barrels for Conservation and storing stuff

6 posts in this topic

barrels could be used to store and transport bulk materials

like ores, all types of flour, all powder types, all types of grain, and food ofc. (food could decay slower in an barrel)

now the conservation idea:

a barrel can hold... lets say 8 160oz of one food type.

but you can add something, to decrease the decay.

veggies: vinegear

meat/fish: salt

fruits: alcohol

(just examples)

then seal the barrel.

when the barrel is done, the decay starts to kick in. (stored food - 50% conservation material + -25% sealed)

it doesnt unseal itself, it stays sealed. while sealed, the stored food suffers -25% decay, until it gets open.

ofc you only can eat the stuff inside, when its unsealed.

ceramic vessel could be used the same way, in conserving food.

place 4x 160oz of the same food type in the vessel and add the spezific conservation material to it and place it in a dark spot

it could be sealed with one unit of clay, if we assume, the vessel has an cover :)

when you conserve food in the ceramic vessel like in the barrel, it should be less efficient with preserving food than the barrel

Edited by Mileaos2

Bioxx has more planned features for them, and those you say sound very good

jeyh, i did read something about barrel changes for 79, but i wantet to throw in some of my ideas ^.~

Excellent idea

It's possible to make barrels with wooden hoops instead of steel. Also, if the barrels are the same size as the ones we already have, I think a maximum capacity of 8 food items would be more balanced, but with a much bigger reduction in decay rate than 25%.

With the mechanic you suggest, ceramic vessels in a chest would actually still be better for storage than a barrel, since vessels reduce decay by 50%. In reality, preserving food can also last for months without going bad, which, in my opinion, should be reflected in in-game months.

Also, generally speaking, brine or vinegar are both commonly used and effective at preserving all types of food, and I don't think that requiring a certain type of preservative for each different food group adds anything but unnecessary complexity. TFC already has plenty of necessary complexity, and throwing more on top without a believable reason doesn't help.

well, the vessel should be less good in preserving food with sealed foods than barrels

and i guess it easier when they use the same decay mechanik than everything else

and the basic idea to give each food type they own preservative material is, to give those materials more uses

ofc it isnt nessersary, but then all those preservatives should be usable.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0