Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vilereaver

Unstable Metal's

22 posts in this topic

Considering Uranium is quite unstable iv got some ideas.

1. When it is found it glow's

2. Touching it does damage/poison Damage.

3. A special Kind of armor is required to touch it (optional)

4. A special type of method is required to harvest it.

as for it's uses.

nothing came to mind better then a bomb. a big bomb.

that and It powering Up thing's but im not sure if this mod has intended to go down the industrial way. but considering its supposed to get realistic i think its fair to assume so

Given that radiation is a form of energy that can easily be translated to heat... Uranium cored forges?

Given that radiation is a form of energy that can easily be translated to heat... Uranium cored forges?

thats it!! i was thinking of a way for it to power up a bloomery but i wasnt sure how to explain it but those 2 words hit the mark. i mean if there gona add it might as well for its main uses.

Though you should note that using uranium in any case is a juggling act with chainsaws. The heat created by such an urianium ngot can easily lead to your bloomery turning into a puddle of lava. Hence the name meltdown when a nuclear reactor decides to go bad, it just melts the reactor chamber.

Though you should note that using uranium in any case is a juggling act with chainsaws. The heat created by such an urianium ngot can easily lead to your bloomery turning into a puddle of lava. Hence the name meltdown when a nuclear reactor decides to go bad, it just melts the reactor chamber.

why not fix that with a diffrent type of bloomery then?. a more advanced stable one thats atleast 50% faster and since it doesent use coal the structure for making it can be diffrent. for example a special diamond like bloomery or around those lines. but i still prefer the bomb the best >.> not to mention after use it could give chemical coated slag or something which can be used to focus on something else

TFC is supposed to be realistic. If you want nuclear reactors go download buildcraft.

TFC is supposed to be realistic. If you want nuclear reactors go download buildcraft.

Ummm... Nuclear Reactors is IndustrialCraft

The real question isn't where it's from, but how impossible, and impractical it is to make a sort of thing.

It's not like everyone here is somehow a fucking nuclear engineer, and to make such an item takes decades of research, trial and error.

The good, at least it can't cause a nuclear detonation.

The bad, a failure is expensive, and may lead to nuclear leakage. [Easily combated by the most rudimentary of nuclear reactor designs, in fact, you are supposed to be overkill with the failsafes, and safety measures, LIKE IN REAL LIFE, which everyone seems to think is analogous to closing a door, from how much they shit themselves with the possibility of it detonating like a fucking nuclear bomb]

The real question isn't where it's from, but how impossible, and impractical it is to make a sort of thing.

It's not like everyone here is somehow a fucking nuclear engineer, and to make such an item takes decades of research, trial and error.

The good, at least it can't cause a nuclear detonation.

The bad, a failure is expensive, and may lead to nuclear leakage. [Easily combated by the most rudimentary of nuclear reactor designs, in fact, you are supposed to be overkill with the failsafes, and safety measures, LIKE IN REAL LIFE, which everyone seems to think is analogous to closing a door, from how much they shit themselves with the possibility of it detonating like a fucking nuclear bomb]

turns out nuclear reactors are very safe, if you look at recent history: fukushima. Well let's say it could have gone far worse, the tsunami had knocked out nearly all safety systems on that reactor, including the a generator failure and the cooling system being destroyed which were the most vital pieces of the safety system. And still no chain reaction meltdown. Those things are in fact safer than most coal powered or gas powered powerplants.

backj to the original content. Bioxx did include pitchblende, which is raw uranium, with a whole load of other crap in that direction. So the chances are there will be some sort of nuclear system in the future, unless he plans using it as a metal.... *Behold my glowing uranium sword*. Then there is the aluminium ore, which I still don't understand why he didn't pick bauxite for. Which is also a quite modern metal.(Just to put it out there, you'll be able to smelt it easier than copper, but it needs hotter fire than the starter metals)

I'm not questioning how safe a nuclear reactor is, I'm questioning how safe a nuclear reactor is when it's basic.

Other than that, it's don't screw with your uranite, by refining it, and putting it near something reflective [water, steel], and cause criticality. [Causing irradiation]

I'm not questioning how safe a nuclear reactor is, I'm questioning how safe a nuclear reactor is when it's basic.

Other than that, it's don't screw with your uranite, by refining it, and putting it near something reflective [water, steel], and cause criticality. [Causing irradiation]

let's say you have had the subject nuclear fission in physics. If so you'd know that what is responsible for fission are free neutrons, these aren't light waves they are simply mass and therefore will not be reflected. Thus you'd know that it wouldn't go cataclysmic near reflective surfaces. When handling this subject we were told to take the effects of gamma radiation as nonexistant, as it generally doesn't contain the energy to cause fission. The only thing you need to take care about is to not make the clump of refined uranium so large that loose neutrons are absorbed within the clump(the basic working of an atomic bomb), because that will have a 99% chance to go bad, really bad.

When it comes to reflective matter, it has to be neutron reflective, which makes the reaction more efficient, and more likely to loop.

[some of these involve things like deuterium, triturium, to a lesser extent, water. Steel, and Tungsten Carbide, and if I recall, certain other hydrocarbons, or something. And more basic approaches would be not to make blocks of refined uranium, but instead isolated sheets. Other than that, heating seems to be effective too.]

Other than that, there are also reactionary processes that don't need enrichment, so with that, don't go deep sea diving with your full uranite plate, nor slather it in oil, or use it with carbon plating, or graphite, steel, or tungsten carbide, let alone place it near these objects.

I personally believe that this mod shouldn't go past 1700's technologies. Which, if I remember correctly, would leave it at a somewhat steampunk setting. As for mining radioactive ore, we would probably want to have a special set of armor that would protect us while we mine it. Although I don't know how getting radiation poisoning works for miners and what kind of protection they use.

You don't get much irradiation from mining pitchblende, it's until you make yellowcake that it's a problem [or refine it into a coherent metal].

other than that, back when there were wars over what minecraft should be, I'm going to stick to my guns, and do late mideval magi-tech.

You don't get much irradiation from mining pitchblende, it's until you make yellowcake that it's a problem [or refine it into a coherent metal].

other than that, back when there were wars over what minecraft should be, I'm going to stick to my guns, and do late mideval magi-tech.

Agreed actually, if you want the high tech things, you'd go to industerialcraft and such anyways.

And the steampunk envoirment is so much more enjoyable. And so much less automatable than the high tech.

Yeah this is actually why I have not posted on this topic as of yet as its not up my alley. If it is the way TFCraft goes I do not mind saying I will be less interested in it, but that does not mean it shouldnt go this way. Ultimately it is Bioxx's design and goal that will drive this to where it is and he has been very quiet on the topic of what comes after making steel. I have to say I side with Steam punk vs things you would need a PHD in physics for or the like :)

Yeah this is actually why I have not posted on this topic as of yet as its not up my alley. If it is the way TFCraft goes I do not mind saying I will be less interested in it, but that does not mean it shouldnt go this way. Ultimately it is Bioxx's design and goal that will drive this to where it is and he has been very quiet on the topic of what comes after making steel. I have to say I side with Steam punk vs things you would need a PHD in physics for or the like :)

Though the things that would require a PHD in physics would improve the need for teamwork in SMP, as not everyone would be able to do such stuff safely, creating a road towards a community type of server.

Just so you know nuclear physics isn't that difficult to use it's just extremely difficult to do it on a large scale safely. Basically you need a radiation source (preferably one that can be controlled by the addition or removal of free neutrons) and then expose it to something that can convert heat into power aka steam engines.

To prove my point there was an article on the news on how a guy in his garage made a small nuclear reactor. I don't know the full story but radio active sources are everywhere so can be obtained if you really wanted them, for example fire alarms. The major difficulty would be obtaining the source with primitive materials.

I not necessarily supporting the idea as there would need to be a significant addition of pre processes to the mod to allow this and then also there would need to be a use other than something as simple as a bloomery as who would go out of there way to develop nuclear power when they can use coal.

Well I've already stated where I stand on this idea already, but to the point, I personally would like to see some tasks require 2 or more people in SMP (but maybe there's a way to do it in SSP so it is possible to achieve the same goal). I think I'd have a great time getting together with 4-5 people and literally surviving it out and build a small fort and slowly that fort becomes a village where you have maybe 2 or 3 people at the blacksmith's shop teaming up on some ore to make someone their first steel pick with the ore they just dug up. Or maybe one or two people working on the farm nearby so that anyone can 'live' there and not starve.

HOWEVER I do see potential in irradiated minerals. Thinking about the type of rock from a sort of 'fantasy' perspective. It would be like a magical cursed rock. It can start fires but at the same time, makes you weak and hungry (need some whiskey to cancel out that effect maybe?). If I found a chunk of rich uranium in the ground and it was warm to the touch and maybe even burned where it touched my skin, I'd think it was magic (albeit cursed! lol)

Though the things that would require a PHD in physics would improve the need for teamwork in SMP, as not everyone would be able to do such stuff safely, creating a road towards a community type of server.

There are way too many other things to promote community based servers and get an economy rolling that this is not a valid argument to progress to such an advanced level of society from nothing. Seasons where food is only producible for one fourth of a TFCraft year would be a larger step especially with agriculture already in the works. Some measure of required clothing to withstand the environment as it changes between the seasons would lead to tailors and cobblers. The changes done to smithing in Pre13 where the quality of the hits is now factored in to the quality of the resultant item. The server I run is generally able to get up to steel in the first night simply because that provokes enough of a community based response to have a few of us gathering resources, a few smelting, one or two smithing etc.

Could a central 'power station' provide community involvement? Sure.. But so could all that listed above as well as a central steam plant to heat settlements in the winter or provide a general mechanical energy distribution system.. Or a gas plant for long-burning lights, as long as you can keep the gas levels filled.

Hell that could be a job in and of itself - someone running back and forth refilling all the gas lamps in the village before the sun goes down and then spend the day refining fuel. Maybe down the road some pumps or something run by wind power or a nearby creek.

Seasons where food is only producible for one fourth of a TFCraft

Is that just your idea or is it planed? just asking because that would be awesome.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0