Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
silentveteren

Chiseled Ice Blocks ( Refrigeration? )

12 posts in this topic

With decay being affected by temperature, and as body heat will eventually implemented, the ability to cool down an area has become an important part of TFC. Darkness, elevation and latitude are currently the main ways of doing this, but I feel that it would be a good idea to expand the ways of decreasing heat.

Many players have talked about igloo like refrigerators, and while this was indeed a valid way of preserving foods in older times, does it make an interesting mechanic to place in TFC?

My thoughts :

Current features include a chisel, and smoothing stone, making implementation of a chiseled iceblock seem like a fairly easy thing to code. ( not taking into account the difficulty of coding a chilling effect focused around a specific block )

Players in hotter environments could use the ice collected during the winter years or from colder areas ( high mountains, being closer to the poles, etc ) to stave off the heat.

A block of ice doesnt naturally reduce temperature, it is the energy used to melt the ice that reduces the average temperature of the air. 

This makes it seem that the best way to implement this idea is to add a timer, representing the speed of the melting,  on each ice block based on the temperature of an area, and a corresponding drop in temperature for the duration.

Also, ICE CASTLE!

Thoughts?

who about just make ice cool stuff down without the timer thing, for simplicity's sake, then do everything else you said?

Anyways, I like it

I like it. Also putting ice in a chest with food could bring down the decay rate?

Off topic It makes me sad you cannot collect ice blocks in TFC. Ice castle indeed

who about just make ice cool stuff down without the timer thing, for simplicity's sake, then do everything else you said?

Anyways, I like it

Because making a room in the middle of the desert that's cooled by unmelting ice is just silly, and it isn't believable.

Because making a room in the middle of the desert that's cooled by unmelting ice is just silly, and it isn't believable.

ExactlyIf a method of attaining ice blocks is added, when they melt it should be finite water not infinite. For obvious balance purposes.

ExactlyIf a method of attaining ice blocks is added, when they melt it should be finite water not infinite. For obvious balance purposes.

Yeah, that has a potential for lag if somebody decides to build an ice castle, though.

Some additional way of cooling stuff down would be nice, but I am on the fence regarding the idea. On one hand, yes, ice that dereases the temperature of edibles, halting their spoilage and which melts with time makes sense, on the other, it's basically encouragement for dull, unimaginative trips for ice round and round in order to protect the food which is frankly not the best design practice.

Bioxx has been playing around with the idea of wrapping ice blocks in red steel sheets to make them unmelting. So a system of refrigeration is already in the beginning of the planning process.

Bioxx has been playing around with the idea of wrapping ice blocks in red steel sheets to make them unmelting. So a system of refrigeration is already in the beginning of the planning process.

This does make some sense to have red steel behave this way, according to how buckets are. But then if we (well, you) are starting to build colored steels to deal with substances in a specific way, one logical thing to do is to invent a kind of lore for these magical metals. Like red steel then would be affiliate to water in all its forms, preserving it kinda, and blue steel should then have to do with fire.

An example is a full set of blue steel providing fire protection, and red steel allows to swim (let's just imagine other armors do not) and grants ablility spend more time under water.

This does make some sense to have red steel behave this way, according to how buckets are. But then if we (well, you) are starting to build colored steels to deal with substances in a specific way, one logical thing to do is to invent a kind of lore for these magical metals. Like red steel then would be affiliate to water in all its forms, preserving it kinda, and blue steel should then have to do with fire.An example is a full set of blue steel providing fire protection, and red steel allows to swim (let's just imagine other armors do not) and grants ablility spend more time under water.

Great idea but that would make Blue steel OP. Perhaps it provides protection against being on firing, but you stake contact damage from lava. So blue steel guy can run through that blade of lava you just placed, but can't swim in the stuff. I mean, it is lava, it is a pretty deadly material!Also for balance reasons, perhaps blue steel steel takes contact damage from water/Ice/snow blocks? I can just see the battle... Blue steel guy with lava bucket and flint&steel, next to a lava crevice, facing against a Red steel guy with a water bucket and ice blocks next to a pool of water. Duel to the death!

I like it. One more reason to progress to the final metal tiers and be rewarded for the hard work. I envisage TFC less focused on survival and more on building and pvp once the highest metal tiers are obtained.

With decay being affected by temperature, and as body heat will eventually implemented, the ability to cool down an area has become an important part of TFC. Darkness, elevation and latitude are currently the main ways of doing this, but I feel that it would be a good idea to expand the ways of decreasing heat.

Many players have talked about igloo like refrigerators, and while this was indeed a valid way of preserving foods in older times, does it make an interesting mechanic to place in TFC?

My thoughts :

Current features include a chisel, and smoothing stone, making implementation of a chiseled iceblock seem like a fairly easy thing to code. ( not taking into account the difficulty of coding a chilling effect focused around a specific block )

Players in hotter environments could use the ice collected during the winter years or from colder areas ( high mountains, being closer to the poles, etc ) to stave off the heat.

A block of ice doesnt naturally reduce temperature, it is the energy used to melt the ice that reduces the average temperature of the air. 

This makes it seem that the best way to implement this idea is to add a timer, representing the speed of the melting,  on each ice block based on the temperature of an area, and a corresponding drop in temperature for the duration.

Also, ICE CASTLE!

Thoughts?

And of course chopped ice cools faster but not as long as a solid block of ice (surface area thing).