Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattockman

learning to mod 1.6.4

8 posts in this topic

I know this thread already exists but I thought I'd revitalize it since 78 has now been released.

I'm finishing a course on Java and now I want to learn how to mod so I can (eventually) make addons for TFC.

What tutorials would you recommend? I think the scratch for fun ones are really good but he goes over most of the really basic stuff in the 1.6.2 tutorials. Can you use 1.6.2 modding tutorials to code in 1.6.4? I worried I'll follow exactly what he says but repeatedly run into errors due to code differences.

1.6.4 is relatively compatible with 1.6.2. So learning from 1.6.2 tutorials should be possible.

The major problem I found with MC modding is fact, that there is absolutely none higher-level stuff documentation. Most tutorials cover creating basic items, blocks and crafting. But I have yet to see up-to-date tutorial that shows how to implement tile entities with all its convoluted details. Best way to learn MC modding is by reading source of other mods. There are multiple ones, including TFC, that show how things can be done. Also, lots of trial and error.

How do you get your hands on TFC code? It would be great to learn by looking at other people's work.

thanks for the link but what is it? I'm very new to this. Is this where you can see TFC code?

thanks for the link but what is it? I'm very new to this. Is this where you can see TFC code?

Learn how to use github it will save you tons of time (you can use it directly in Eclipse). 

If you want do do stuff but there's no tutorial for it try refactoring bits of code that do what you want your addon to do (hope it make sense).

Coding is made by human being, without any knowledge of java or modding i was able to make pretty complicated addons and i don't consider myself a genius far from it.

It just take a lot of time without the proper education....

Here's my github you can use it for inspiration.

I would also strongly recommend you to NOT learn anything from the way Minecraft is coded (can't say same nor opposite for TFC, don't know it well enough yet) and read up on useful design quirks and patterns.

Then it is a lot of practice, basically.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0