Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PhineasWynd

Waiting around at night

28 posts in this topic

I think I might be doing this wrong...I'm still in the stone age - not enough copper nuggers to make a tool yet.But it seems every night, I have nothing to do - I maybe cook something or make some pottery, and then... I don't know what to do. So I alt tab and wait for daytime. So my questions are, do you personally sit around doing nothing every night? If not, what do you do? Is this still a problem when you have advanced metallurgically?

Long nights are a normal consequence of not having pickaxes to tunnel around, nor a saw to make a bed with, in the early game. I just take the opportunity to look away from the screen and rest my eyes a bit. :-)

If you want to know how to have all the metal tools by In-game Day 5 I'd suggest watching Dunkleosteus play in his latest TFC let's play. You can also see the correct protocol for accidentally burning down your thatch house xD

Ep1 (currently 4 released)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2L51QH0P7r8

I normally read the forums, make a post or two, like a few posts and comment on a few.  Beside that I just get ready for the day, food ready, water, clean out my inventory, and make thatch (lots of it).

Day #1 you should:

• Select a shelter site. Look for relatively flat areas near trees, grass, and fresh water. Bonus if there is a copper deposit nearby.
  • If you're slow and short of materials, keep a minimum of 3x3 interior space. If you're fast, go for 5x5 or 7x7 if you're happy with the location. Make it 2 blocks high with a brim of thatch for stopping spiders. I suggest the first course dirt, second course single placed logs, third course thatch brim open to the sky.
  • Rough quantity of resources: 40+ clay, 32+ dirt, 32+ rocks, 32+ sticks, 128+ stacks of straw (takes about one knife per stack), 32+ logs, 80+ oz any food

Night #1 you should:

• Fire your first kiln batch (I suggest 1x Jug, 2x Vessel, 1x Spindle)
  • Knap a number of tool heads (they stack): knives, axes, shovels, possibly a hammer and/or hoe
  • Create at least 20 torches
  • Mold out your next kiln batch. I suggest pick, propick, saw. You only need three because your second kiln firing will include a vessel full of 300 units of copper or bronze.
  • Get up on your roof and scan the area with zoom
  • If enemies have not sighted you yet, start panning until they do.
  • Toward the end of the night start punching zombies from your roof provided there are no ranged enemies nearby. This will summon more zombies. When they start to burn at daybreak, hop down and punch them for experience when they die.

This is how most of my first day/nights go. Sometimes you get unlucky and adjust accordingly. The worst is when the mobs swarm your house at night, then it starts raining throughout the next day.

Once I have progressed in the tiers, I usually build, or experiment with meals. Don't worry, your problem isn't much of a problem anymore once you get better tools. Another thing you can do to pass the time (that I personally haven't done because I much prefer exploring) is to settle near a river or other body of water so you can gold pan through the night to get some copper. This also helps in getting tools.

spelunking is a good way to pass the time and find ore and mineral veins. As for the copper go on long expeditions to find some.

You can try to pan for ores, practice throwing your javelin, stradagize what you will do the next day to make the maximum use of the time, and go read a good book

Knowing where to settle is important. Definitely hunker down where there is abundant clay and a flat area on a lake (for farming).

I tend to wait with building until I found at least copper nuggets nearby, indicating a vein. Having iron nearby is also good in the long run. If I don't find what I like, I start a new world.

I play super-nomadically, so I don't settle down to farm until I have a donkey full of bronze-bearing ores and I find an iron-rich location. During my nights I either keep moving and hide from enemies, engages some zombies for experience, or throw down a thatch 3x3 to cook some food and do some pottery. Bring a book.

It would be nice if Steve could sleep on anything less than a wool bed. He sounds a bit posh.

I think most people have slept on something far less comfortable than raw hide at some point in their lives, yet Steve cannot. He appears to be the princess and the pea.

Believability: -1 points.

Night is a great time to fire up pit kilns and work on crap, but it would still be nice if caveman Steve could get some rest while it happens.

I have to agree, with the OP, if you've never played this game mod before, it can be very boring or worse.

I choose to use random seed maps, what a surprise, to find myself, not just once but many times, still looking for sheep 4 months into the game.  I've had 2 maps with only veggies and one of the other 3 food groups that are currently useable of the 5, and grain all around that an indian could of ground, but I can't. Check history please all you need is one hand held stone and a flat stone or stone block to grind grain!

All up and down the west coast of the north and south American continent, You can find large flat grainte rocks full of bowl shapes, that were used to grind corn and other grains.

My current game has 1 pig on a huge two island set up, that has only unusable grain and Soy plus a meriad of veggies. I finally got a boat and went on a tour to find more lands, wow more veggies, pigs, so far nothing else I've not even seen an evil wolf or horrid bear.. let alone a sheep. Wee, really exactly two of my generated maps provided enough viable starting and gathering resources, to be called fun to play. But at least I am proving you don't have to eat meat on this one!

On one of them it took 3 1/2 months just to find any copper resource type at all, that was a payday, one small little area, litered in copper nuggets, but that was also the map that took until the last day of Sept to find my first sheep, and it was Oct 1 before I got home to make the bed, go me.

The current map generation setup needs a tune up!

The New food system, needs more thinking, I've starved to death so many times on the morning of the second day, after running around blindly, thru the whole first day and night, looking for any eatible food type,  No tree's, only one or two sticks, because you truly have no time to look for them, when you see nothing eatible in sight and thru most of the night it's the same, I can't tell you how happy I am, when I spawn in and see food, if I have that I can make a game of it.. So all you old timers get off your super seeds and play random seeds, see how many out of 10 seeds are fun to play..

It would be nice if Steve could sleep on anything less than a wool bed. He sounds a bit posh.

I think most people have slept on something far less comfortable than raw hide at some point in their lives, yet Steve cannot. He appears to be the princess and the pea.

Believability: -1 points.

Night is a great time to fire up pit kilns and work on crap, but it would still be nice if caveman Steve could get some rest while it happens.

If Steve could sleep on anything, the dangers of the night would never be a problem because the player could sleep right away. If you could sleep through every single night from the beginning.. you might as well just play on peaceful.

Gameplay Balance: +1 points.

I've had 2 maps with only veggies and one of the other 3 food groups that are currently useable of the 5, and grain all around that an indian could of ground, but I can't. Check history please all you need is one hand held stone and a flat stone or stone block to grind grain!

The current map generation setup needs a tune up!

You haven't needed to grind grain to eat it for quite a few hotfixes now. You just get a 2x weight bonus if you do grind it and process it into bread.

There isn't much can be done about map generation, because Minecraft uses procedural generation. Sometimes you just get unlucky with a shitty seed.

If Steve could sleep on anything, the dangers of the night would never be a problem because the player could sleep right away. If you could sleep through every single night from the beginning.. you might as well just play on peaceful.

Have to disagree- the vanilla bed has some basic logic to determine if a place is safe to sleep. I'm just as safe sleeping on the ground, or on a straw bed in my straw hut as I am standing there, twiddling my thumbs. One could even take the vanilla logic and make it a bit more stringent. It's completely reasonable to require time-passing via sleep to require a significant amount of safety.

So ultimately, I don't see how the gameplay balance is altered in any way. Especially since standard attrition like hunger and thirst are also accounted for as you sleep, there is literally no difference.

You haven't needed to grind grain to eat it for quite a few hotfixes now. You just get a 2x weight bonus if you do grind it and process it into bread.

There isn't much can be done about map generation, because Minecraft uses procedural generation. Sometimes you just get unlucky with a shitty seed.

This is true I have the type of luck that could win a lotto two days in a row but the rest  of the time its in the toilet!  I guess we need a horrid seed thread..

However, this is exactly why the new hunger system needs to lighten up a bit..

Wait!. I thought the only edible grain was Maize, until you could grind the others, I know I read that some where. 

So ultimately, I don't see how the gameplay balance is altered in any way. Especially since standard attrition like hunger and thirst are also accounted for as you sleep, there is literally no difference.

Except now hunger and thirst slow as you sleep now, so it's actually an advantage to making a bed.  Perhaps a mechanic that allows you to sleep on the thatch/hide bed at an increased food/thirst cost?  Not super realistic, but might be a compromise for gameplay value.

Wait!. I thought the only edible grain was Maize, until you could grind the others, I know I read that some where. 

This was true for the first few builds of 78, but was changed in 78.8

Except now hunger and thirst slow as you sleep now, so it's actually an advantage to making a bed.  Perhaps a mechanic that allows you to sleep on the thatch/hide bed at an increased food/thirst cost?  Not super realistic, but might be a compromise for gameplay value.

Seems like a good idea to me, except they'd have to make sure you didn't die in your sleep- that wasn't any fun before that bug was fixed :P. Another possibility is a rested/tired bonus/penalty.

Earlier in Minecraft - as I remember - you had a chance to get zombies in your face if you tried to sleep in dark place or next to you wall.

But you don't have that chance now.

Unless you're suggesting that sleeping in a thatch bed in a dark area should have a chance of giving you a zombie or creeper or such in your face.

Which would be easily stoppable with torches or other light sorces

This was true for the first few builds of 78, but was changed in 78.8

What about the tooltip on all my grain that says something along the lines of "DO NOT USE OR YOUR WORLD WILL CRASH"?

What about the tooltip on all my grain that says something along the lines of "DO NOT USE OR YOUR WORLD WILL CRASH"?

The only time that a piece of food will have that tooltip is when the item doesn't have any weight. You might see it when you hover over the item in the crafting grid output slot, since that is a ghost item and doesn't have the weight transfer applied to it yet, but as soon as the item is in your inventory that message should go away and be replaced with the weight value. If you still see that tooltip when you're actually carrying the item around, then it is indeed a weightless, bugged piece of food and will crash you if you use it.

Using beds to skip nights is like playing on Peaceful.. but then again so is hiding in a hole and alt-tabbing and I'm sometimes guilty of the latter.

I'd be in favour of allowing earlier-game sleeping if there were a variety of random events that could happen while sleeping, such as- a bear or two spawns in your immediate area, and you are woken up early

- a pack of angry wolves spawns in your immediate area, and you are woken up early

- rats found your food! food stored in chests or vessels is replaced with rat droppings

- nightmare! you wake up in the nether with none of your things. You respawn in the overworld with all of your items and experience if you die or are "woken by a rooster".

*shrugs*

Using beds to skip nights is like playing on Peaceful.. but then again so is hiding in a hole and alt-tabbing and I'm sometimes guilty of the latter.

I'd be in favour of allowing earlier-game sleeping if there were a variety of random events that could happen while sleeping, such as- a bear or two spawns in your immediate area, and you are woken up early

- a pack of angry wolves spawns in your immediate area, and you are woken up early

- rats found your food! food stored in chests or vessels is replaced with rat droppings

- nightmare! you wake up in the nether with none of your things. You respawn in the overworld with all of your items and experience if you die or are "woken by a rooster".

*shrugs*

Did I miss the update that allowed mobs to break into enclosed areas and kill us?

Have you ever been attacked in an early shelter that you made?

You'd need a massive shelter to get past the spawn distance restraint.

Again, how is the already regular dynamic of it being safe to sit in a straw hut for the duration of the night different than it being safe for you to sleep for the night?

There is *NO* safety difference.