Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Fluff

Rest/Exhaustion.

17 posts in this topic

So in TFC we now have to look after our health, hunger, thirst, and nutrition. 

Much more realistic than vanilla, but our little guy still runs on food like a robot runs on batteries.

I'd suggest a semi-realistic level of necessary rest. Most people can make it 48 hours before start to give to exhaustion for example.

Resting in a bed would bring your levels back to normal, but if you went on long treks or neglected your bodies need for sleep you would eventually black out (die?)

Early game this could create a need to be prepared before traveling, as you'll need to do more than simply bring some food and water. While later game you could unlock the ability to make a sleeping bag/tent of sorts that doesn't affect spawn but still allows resting.

This could also tie nicely and logically into a stamina system I've seen suggested before. A human obviously isn't going to preform their best if exhausted, so rest could affect stamina the same way the food system does health. You have a bar, you can run until this bar depletes then you are stuck at normal speeds until you regain your energy. But if you were low of sleep for any number of reasons you could have the bar either a) re gen slower B) have less stamina in the first place or c) both.

Stamina would also give an incentive to stay "well rested" rather than just resting right before death to avoid the only penalty. As being able to run can sometimes be important and you wouldn't want to be without that option.

If these things are ever implemented I don't expect it to be done exactly as I envisioned, but I tried to think them out in ways that both fit the design language of TFC but were also realistic without being unfun, while these features would give the player a bit more worry.. particularly earlier in the game I tried to think them out in ways that wouldn't ruin or detract from anything else.

Fortunately, TFC works fairly well with Smart Moving, which implements a stamina system that is highly configurable. By default, stamina is lost and gained very quickly, but a more realistic resource-conservation style is easily set up by modifying the config file.In addition to the stamina system, Smart Moving adds a lot of swimming/jumping/crawling options that help you with mobility at the cost of stamina.

Fortunately, TFC works fairly well with Smart Moving, which implements a stamina system that is highly configurable. By default, stamina is lost and gained very quickly, but a more realistic resource-conservation style is easily set up by modifying the config file.In addition to the stamina system, Smart Moving adds a lot of swimming/jumping/crawling options that help you with mobility at the cost of stamina.

I never even really thought about that, thanks. I may use that until/if TFC ever has its own similar system.

Fortunately, TFC works fairly well with Smart Moving, which implements a stamina system that is highly configurable. By default, stamina is lost and gained very quickly, but a more realistic resource-conservation style is easily set up by modifying the config file.

But it only decreases when you sprint/sprint jump/etc

I think TFC should have a better stamina system

I'll leave a link to the stamina post in the suggestion directory here http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4966-

But it only decreases when you sprint/sprint jump/etc

I think TFC should have a better stamina system

I'll leave a link to the stamina post in the suggestion directory here http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4966-

Your post was actually what got me thinking about the whole thing. Overall I liked your suggest of stamina, I just felt the rest could use some fleshing out.

In real life there are obviously side effects to sleep deprivation, that get more and more serious the longer you go without sleep. I'd love to see this fully realized, but I'd still be willing to settle for a simple "end result" (like blacking out).

Not only is it realistic, which suits the theme of TFC and what it is trying to achieve, but it would add a bit more challenge to early game that I feel is needed. Currently you can just run around willy-nilly with little penalty as long as you have some form of food and water. Having to establish a base out of necessity for something like sleep would make progression more gradual and less "run around until you find what you need" because until you progress far enough to make some form of portable sleeping arrangement you'd need to stay within some reasonable distance of your home.

It would also add a small level of choice. Don't care if you can sprint like a champion runner? Then you don't have to worry about staying well rested, just sleep the bare minimum necessary to function. Want that extra level of vitality? Then you have to take care of yourself. (Basically the same design as how health works). 

Not only is it realistic, which suits the theme of TFC and what it is trying to achieve, but it would add a bit more challenge to early game that I feel is needed.

TFC is actually not trying to achieve realism. The goal is believability, while keeping in mind that not only is this a game, but also a mod for Minecraft.

Sleep requirements are not a plausible suggestion due to the fact that TFC is balanced towards SMP, and it is extremely rare on the majority of servers for everyone to stop what they are doing and sleep. Even just forcing the player to lay in bed for a while would be extremely tedious, since they would be able to do absolutely nothing until enough time has passed.

And if you do put an item that heals stamina, it won't be that much different from hunger or thirst, as people will rarely sleep.

But I was wondering, the main reason people in servers don't sleep is because there is no good reason to.

Most people would work away the night rather then sleep.

But what if people had a reason to sleep? Won't that compel players to sleep?

It would also add a small level of choice. Don't care if you can sprint like a champion runner? Then you don't have to worry about staying well rested, just sleep the bare minimum necessary to function. Want that extra level of vitality? Then you have to take care of yourself. (Basically the same design as how health works).

While I won't regard current health system and it's ties with food as it's somewhat controversional - mixing good ideas and rather silly, bad ones, I must point out that the idea isn't bad, if no the fact while with food the matter of malnutrition can be resolved by just gulping down some mixed rations or having a decent meal in advance, it wouldn't worknecessarily as easily with rest, forcing player to get back to the camp.Unless it would be a bar that is to be refilled and players would be able to just drag around some bedrolls/beds to drop and rest on when needed - but what's the point then if it's just another stat one has to keep an eye on of functionality similar to food and thirst? Would it really add to the enjoyment that way?

Most people would work away the night rather then sleep.

I agree here. It's understandable, though, they want to play the game after all, not just look at it.

But what if people had a reason to sleep? Won't that compel players to sleep?

I believe it could, yes. However, many, if given alternative would try to avoid it, if only because of what Kittychanley mentioned - they will be unwilling to simply stare at their screens, waiting however long their character will need to rest, especially when at times it will involve them dropping what they were doing/wanted to do and go to bed.Need for rest/sleep in general isn't a bad idea, though I am it would not enrich this particular game as much (after all, it's about making the game more interesting and fun, not just adding challenges for the sake of challenges) as add another thing to be aware of, a chore that periodically must be performed.

TFC is actually not trying to achieve realism. The goal is believability, while keeping in mind that not only is this a game, but also a mod for Minecraft.

Sleep requirements are not a plausible suggestion due to the fact that TFC is balanced towards SMP, and it is extremely rare on the majority of servers for everyone to stop what they are doing and sleep. Even just forcing the player to lay in bed for a while would be extremely tedious, since they would be able to do absolutely nothing until enough time has passed.

I may not have been clear. My suggest doesn't intend to make beds work even remotely like in vanilla. Just like in real life you don't rely on others sleeping to sleep. It wouldn't be something that affects the world, just your character so there should be absolutely no need for "syncing up" just like you don't all have to eat at the same time. It wouldn't be something to pass the night.

I also didn't intend for it to be something that took an actual length of time. It would be a quick thing. As again, just like eating in game doesn't take an actual 5~20 minutes like in real life I wouldn't expect sleeping to take 8 hours. It would be a quick pass to regain yourself. 

and if you don't like my suggestion, that is entirely fine. I just don't quite understand your logic behind it.. as clicking on a bed for a second because you've exhausted your character wouldn't be nearly as tedious as features already implemented like the complex food system you have to watch after and take care of.

This would add extra tediousness/ annoyance to terrafirmacraft with little to no reward, and make the overall game longer as you would have walk all the way back to home after doing something tedious just to refill on rest quickly, or just tack up another inventory space. I think that the thirst and hunger systems are enough to make you carry around and replenish food and water after certain amounts of time and effort (like running).

This would add extra tediousness/ annoyance to terrafirmacraft with little to no reward, and make the overall game longer as you would have walk all the way back to home after doing something tedious just to refill on rest quickly, or just tack up another inventory space. I think that the thirst and hunger systems are enough to make you carry around and replenish food and water after certain amounts of time and effort (like running).

It's called bringing your bed with you, or making a straw bed out of BASIC resources obtainable everywhere.... :rolleyes:

Simple solution: make it so you just have to get in your bed, not actually sleep the night away. :)

It's called bringing your bed with you, or making a straw bed out of BASIC resources obtainable everywhere.... :rolleyes:

Inventory slots are precious when going on expeditions. That bed could instead be a stack of ore, or a new sapling or crop. While straw is generally available everywhere, animals that are big enough to drop a large hide are not, and I would say that the majority of players don't want to waste all of that meat simply for a hide.

The problem is, stamina is great and all, but restoring it causes a lot of hassle, especially when on servers.

If by sleep, there are time limitations, for one, and needing a bed.

Of course, we can make the player able to sleep on anything at any time(with varying results), but that's really more trouble than it's worth.

And if we have things like coffee to restore stamina, it might as well be a hunger/thirst-ripoff with different effects, and we might as well just add more effects to the hunger and thirst bar already there.

I may not have been clear. My suggest doesn't intend to make beds work even remotely like in vanilla. Just like in real life you don't rely on others sleeping to sleep. It wouldn't be something that affects the world, just your character so there should be absolutely no need for "syncing up" just like you don't all have to eat at the same time. It wouldn't be something to pass the night.

I also didn't intend for it to be something that took an actual length of time. It would be a quick thing. As again, just like eating in game doesn't take an actual 5~20 minutes like in real life I wouldn't expect sleeping to take 8 hours. It would be a quick pass to regain yourself. 

and if you don't like my suggestion, that is entirely fine. I just don't quite understand your logic behind it.. as clicking on a bed for a second because you've exhausted your character wouldn't be nearly as tedious as features already implemented like the complex food system you have to watch after and take care of.

Then how much time it actually is required to restore a, say, half-exhausted character? A minute? That's a minute you're NOT playing Minecraft, you're just staring at a blank screen. And that minute would be the longest minute of your playtime, believe me.

Inventory slots are precious when going on expeditions. That bed could instead be a stack of ore, or a new sapling or crop. While straw is generally available everywhere, animals that are big enough to drop a large hide are not, and I would say that the majority of players don't want to waste all of that meat simply for a hide.

Well, to that, I think, I might have a solution for the future builds. TFC will have some form of clothing, right? So let one of the forms be a cloak. Then fur cloak one can be used to make a primitive bed (while being worn, it will, obviously, provide environmental protection, but that aside), and once the night is passed, the bed can be broken to retrieve the cloak back. This would however require a bed to store information about what was used to make it, though I don't think it's really that hard to do.

Then how much time it actually is required to restore a, say, half-exhausted character? A minute? That's a minute you're NOT playing Minecraft, you're just staring at a blank screen. And that minute would be the longest minute of your playtime, believe me.

Well, to that, I think, I might have a solution for the future builds. TFC will have some form of clothing, right? So let one of the forms be a cloak. Then fur cloak one can be used to make a primitive bed (while being worn, it will, obviously, provide environmental protection, but that aside), and once the night is passed, the bed can be broken to retrieve the cloak back. This would however require a bed to store information about what was used to make it, though I don't think it's really that hard to do.

I want to wear a Cloak :D that sounds baddass looking.

I want to wear a Cloak :D that sounds baddass looking.

A bear pelt with a skull and everything

I was scrolling through the suggestions directory, and decided to re-visit this place.

So I was thinking, one of the points raised was people won't like having to carry beds around, or going all the way back to their home to sleep, and if you have to go really far to look for stuff, I do realize that having to go back to your home to sleep would be annoying.

But do we really need to carry our beds around or go back home? What if we made 'rest areas' with beds and food and whatever else we need at regular intervals?

That easily solves the problem. Sure it'll take lots of time to make each 'rest area' and stock them with the needed goods, but in the long run, it'll be more helpful.

And I think it would add a bit more to the gameplay.

If we had a good reason to make these 'rest stops', there would be a need to mark their areas, and possibly build roads connecting them so you can find them easily, and don't waste time or materials making tons of them because you can't find them. It will also make exploring take more planning, since you can't just slap on armor, grab your tools, take a vessel of food, then walk for weeks on end. You'll need to search the surrounding area, find a place to build rest areas.

Though, I suppose other people might find doing all that annoying I suppose