Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NegiMagica209

Cooking (Hunter-Gatherer)(Beekeeping)

29 posts in this topic

An idea I had for a mod I wanted to make thats now edited to feel the TFC mood. I'd love to see it come to life here since I have no modding capabilities of my own. The idea came to me when I thought cooking food in a furnace in vanilla that I just smelted iron in sounded nasty. So why not separate cooking and smelting.

Due to my lack of chain of thought, new ideas will be bolded like this where as relatively new ideas or modded ideas will be like so. Titles of sections will also be bolded.

*(Currently I am researching on how to add brewing alchohol.)*

*Some ideas in my suggestion may require the suggestions of a Thirst bar, a Tanning Rack, and Perishable Foods and a slight tweak on the inventory and equiped item section on the inventory interface. I will also include new ways of obtaining food like natural and regrowable bushes if they are not added in the next Beta.*

BEEKEEPING:

Tools(Block):

Hive - Hives can be found in the wild, up in trees, on the surface of the ground, and on the rooves of cave entrences. Honey and combs can be collected three ways when it comes to Hives. You can break the Hive which will drop Honey, Wax, Comb, and Eggs. Craft a Campfire below the Hive, if possible, to subdue the bees; put the Campfire out so the bees can resume production. Or, you can craft Leather Gloves and a Sieve to extract Honey and Eggs from the Hive, takes a few days for it to respawn Honey and Eggs.

Skep - An early artificial Hive, made like a cross between a basket and a beehive. This manmade is very ineffective at spawning a colony in it, even at close proximity to a natural Hive, and removal of Honey leads to the full destruction of the Hive. Honey, Comb, Wax, and Eggs can be collected this way, but the time between respawn of the colony is very long; longer than natural Hives respawn time.

Apiary - A later design (the direct upgrade to Skeps, Top Bar Hives are a more modern Skep-type hive but is just as inefficient.) Correct management of the apiary can lead to never having to wait for a new brood to move into the Apiary. Along with the fact that the Combs can be removed safely to extract Honey and Eggs. The Comb and Wax can be collected as well, but will require damaging the colony, which will lead to a slowdown in production along with a temporary stop in production to rebiuld what was lost, length depends on how much Wax and Comb was taken from the surplus supply.

Tools(item):

Sieve - A strainer used to remove Honey from the Comb, Eggs and larva.

Smoker - A device used to smoke the beehive to confuse and subdue the bees before extraction.

Leather Gloves - Equipment used to protect you from damage while collecting from natural Hives.

Items-

Honey - Uses of Honey below.

Wax - Uses of Wax below.

Comb - Can be used in baking and eating straight.

Eggs - Can be added to manmade beehives that have lost their queen. The bees will prepare automatically (IRL) a comb fit to produce a new queen when an egg is added. This is needed from time to time to make sure a colony is always present in your manmade hives. If a queen dies and is not replaced, the time for a colony to respawn in the manmade hives will be great. Adding Comb and Eggs will speed up the process.

Uses for Beewax and Honey:

Wax:

--Wax can be used on the string of a bow to help the string last longer. A durability bar could be added to the bows and an application of wax will make it last longer or replenish some of the durability.

--Wax can be used to give iron a polished look.

--If copper or bronze piping and steam punk like things are added, beewax can be used to perserve and maintain bronze and copper. Can be used along some grease Item to maintain machines and bronze/copper made structures.

--Wax and Honey is hardened to be used in jewelry.

--Wax is used to maintain and lubricate saws and drills that are used in metal fabrication.

--Wax is used in some processes used to make paper.

--Wax is used in the process that makes whips.

--Wax is used to thread precious metals such as gold.

--Wax is used to flux molten bmetals such as bullets and helps remove impurities.

--Wax can be used as makeshift waterproofing.

--Candles.

Honey:

--Honey is used as a perservative because of it's long life.

--Honey is used to treat burns and open wounds.

--Honey is used as food. The comb can be eaten too.

--Honey can be used as a cure for hangover. My alcohol section will be like the tea section but alcohol will give better buffs but also permanent and/or temperary debuffs that can be cured with honey.

--Honey wont spoil, honey IRL lasts a very VERY long time.

Cooking; Heat Levels:

*Frozen, *Thawed, Raw, Very Rare, Rare, Medium Rare, Medium, Medium Well, **Well Done, ***Burnt, ^Charred.

^^Spoiled

*Precooked Items that have been placed in the Icebox for perservation will freeze and must be thawed and reheated (faster than cooking) before consuming. Items that do not need to be cooked can just be thawed to be eaten. Ingredents must be thawed before use in recipes.

**Well Done is when the food has been fully cooked.

***Burnt items can still be eaten, but will make you more thursty.

Charred items cannot be eaten, can be added to a compost pile.

^^Spoiled foods cannot be eaten and will remain in your inventory to be added to a compost pile.

Hunter-Gatherer = (HG) These items and foods will be present at all times or will require the use of the campfire and other early methods of cooking and hunting. Not all of these will neccesarily be used for cooking.

Tools (block):

Counter - (Single-block biuld) Crafted with three stone on top, two separated wood in the middle and three wood on the bottom in a crafting table.The counter has a similar interface as the crafting table, but is solely used for preparing ingredents and to make food out of prepared and cooked ingredents and tools such as a pot, pan, bowl, plate, or goblet. Processing food does not require a recipe, only the final product. The interface will have a slot in the top right corner to put a recipe which will allow the making of the meal, as well as a slot reserved for a knife in the bottom left, needed to chop certain ingredents such as friuts vegetables and meats (some recipes will require whole ingredents, too). Yes, this adds an extra task to do before cooking, but the things made in this way will have multiple uses and last longer than just eating and carrying regular ingredents, giving incentive to cook meals rather than just eating the ingredients. Spices can be added to meats here to have them last longer for long journys and prepare them for drying on the Drying Rack which will make them last indeffinantly and stackable.

Recipe Table - (single block biuld) Crafted by two separated wood with a book in the middle and three wood on the bottom in the crafting table. A block that is used similarly to the scribing table. Place Markings in a certain arangement in the 5x5 grid ad a recipe will be produced in the top right corner.

Fireplace - (Structure Biuld) Crafted by placing five stone in a u shape on the ground leaving the space on the larger side open. Place six stone on top of this. Then add three stone on top. The hole will be replaced by a fireplace looking block that will be clicked on to use the firepit. A pot filled with unboiled or unfiltered water is placed in the Fireplace to be boiled. Once boiled, water can be used in recipes that require water. Once ingredents are added to the pot, the pot must be placed back on the fireplace to cook. Teas, however do not need to be cooked.

Oven - Before a pan can be placed in the Oven it must have ingredents added to it on the counter. Ingredents such as: herbs and other flora to be baked before being crushed in the Morter and Pestle into spices; breads for baking, and meats for cooking.

Hand Pump - Must be placed near a river to be used. Place a bucket, pot or a water pouch in the left slot interface (which will look similar to a vanilla furnace) and water will begin to fill the item (simulating water pumping in by hand, no actual manual laber required). Once done the filled item will appear on the right slot.. The water acquired this way will not have to be boiled as would be required by just collecting water from the river itself.

Icebox - The ice box has a similar yet smaller interface than the chests and can be doubled as well. In the center there will be a 4Lx3H grid and one 1Lx4H grids. If doubled, it will have a 6Lx4H grid and a 2Lx8H grid on the side. The center grid is used as a storage for perishable foods which will freeze over time. The side grid will be used to place crushed ice obtained by an icepick and acts similar to wood feuling a fire. Once the bottom ice melts the next ice will 'fall' and take place. Frozen meals and cooked meat will have to be thawed then reheated to Well Done to be eaten. Ingredients just need to be thawed as stated before.

Drying Rack - The drying rack has an interface as such: a 5Lx2H grid. One Spiced Meat can be placed on each slot. Once the meat has sat for a while the meat will turn to Dried Meat which will not perish for those VERY long journeys.

(More to add later)

Tools (item):

(HG)Rock - Rocks are found on the ground similarly to Flint. They can be collected in a similar fashion, but serve a different perpose. They can be used as a projectile to damage animals. This allows for early hunting to be done when you have no ready tools to hunt with. An early method for collecting meat.

(HG)Bait Rod - Combined with Worms, the Bait Rod can be used as an early Fishing Pole. Worms and other bait can be added to the Bait Rod by placing both the bait chosen and the Bait Rod in your crafting grid. An early method to collecting fish.

(HG)Snare - The snare can be placed on the ground as a trap. After a long period of time, a random small, low-meat-yeilding animal will spawn on the trap, immobile as if caught on the trap. Makes hunting easier.

(HG)Fishnet - Made through a crafting table, the fishnet can be placed on the waters edge and will slowly generate fish as you left click on it. If the fish are left for too long, the fish will die. And easier way to catch fish.

Knife - The knife is placed on the counter in the bottom left corner in a similar fasion to a hammer and degrades with each use to chop meats vegetables and fruit.

Pot - Place the pot in a Hand Pump to fill with water. Once filled can be placed on the counter to use a recipe to add ingredents. After ingredents are added, place in a fireplace to cook. Pot is reusable and will make enough for 5 bowls or 8 Goblets. Place the pot in a shapeless recipe on the counter to transfer the contents to the holders. (5 to 8 uses, will have a durability bar to determine uses left).

Oven Pan - Place the pan on a counter to add meats, leaves, roots, mushrooms, flowers, and other herbs to prepare for cooking, or use with a recipe to prepare different doughs for baked goods in the Oven. Pan is reusable and will make enough for 5 plates. Place it in a similar way to the pot to transfer contents. (5 uses, will have a durability bar to determine uses left)

Bowl - Place on the counter along with a pot filled with cooked foods to transfer the it to the bowls for consumption. Bowls are reusable.

Goblet - Place on a counter along with a pot filled with boiled water or different teas for consumption. Goblets are reusable.

Plate - Place on a counter along with a pan filled with cooked food to tranfer the food to the plates for consumption. Plates are reusable.

Morter and Pestel - This will be placed on the counter along with leaves, flowers, and mushrooms in shapeless recipies to make herbs, spices, and tea leaves. The Morter and Pestle is reusable.

Tanning rack and leather needed:

Water Pouch - Three sizes. Filled in a river, on the counter using a filled pot, or placed in the Hand Pump. Unboiled water won't fill up the Thirst meter as much as boiled water will. Small has 12 uses, medium has 20 and large has 35. Each with its own crafting recipe. The reason for this is that only one will be equiped in the equipment part of the inventory.

Satchel - Two can be equiped at a time in the equipment part of the inventory. Each will increase the food portion of your inventory, a small 8Lx1H grid above the main inventory, doubled to a 8Lx2H grid if both are equiped. Food Items placed in this inventory grid will last longer. It also frees up space in your main inventory grid.

**Backpack - Not a part of cooking, but something I think is needed in the mod to make it more realisitic and to give a need for the Water Pouch and Satchels. Before a backpack is equiped, your inventory will have only be as big as your hotbar(GROAN I know I know, but let's think here even just the hot bar can also be unrealistic(Do you have 8 arms?)). Yes this adds one hell of a difficulty curve to the mod, but hear me out, when was the last time you carried several stacks of 64 ANYTHING in your bare hands. Once a backpack is made and equiped, your inventory size will return to normal.**

(More to add later)

Tea:

Different teas can have different effects so learning them all can be useful and fun. Effects such as more Thirst bar filling. Faster health regeneration. Health regeneration when hungry. Regenerate hunger slightly. Poison resistence and so on. (Slightly unrealistic, but hey it's still minecraft and not entirely the real world.)

Food Degradation:

Prepare to groan more!! To incorprate degrading food, each food item, be it raw or cooked, will not stack. It's the only way to do this, programming wise, I believe. This will give incentive to learn how to cook meals for though they also degrade, they have several uses to them before depletion. Spiced, Dried, and (Candied: will add more on this later once I think of a good way to add beekeeping) foods will be able to stack for they do not degrade. (Note: place non-perishable foods in main inventory to reserve spots in the satchels for perishable ones.)

Thirst:

The thrist bar will deplete slowly over time. Eating will drop the bar slightly. Eating spiced, dried, or candied foods will drop the thirst bar further than regular items. To recover, click on fresh water with your bare hands, right click holding a Goblet, or right click on your equipped Water Pouch If the bar depletes while you still have water in the Water Pouch, it will automatically be used.

you know you can just suggest a campfire to cook food. Bioxx just wants realism and doesnt want to go very far on electricity...

HE would rather depend on the way people cooked in the 15th century, and for what i know i dont think there was fried food to begin with in that era. Food was actually cooked in somewhat similar to the pizza ovens you find in resturants, just more enclosed. For the tools i would like to see a butchering knife to cut meat away from corpses.

It would be nice if food would rot over time and give you less food points but you can help it conserve it longer if you use rock salt and cook it fast after killing the animal, and yes a pizza like oven would be nice to cook your food in, you normally don't cook food where you had a lot of lead stacked. And it gives you another ''structure" for your domain.

i love the idea, i do agree that steam may be as far as technology goes, but the things that dont require electricity and pumping are fantastic and i think they do have a place in this mod. but as i say to everybody, does it fit in with the feel of TFC, will it add to or take away from the realism and fun. if it doesnt, put it in.

Original ice boxes did not, in fact, require electricity.. Just large blocks of ice.. ANd brine, dried meats and the like were the ways food was preserved, and still are to this day actually. As for water, something will need to be done that will not require electricity either. Even some kind of a hand pump well or irrigation or the like will need to be done there.

I do like the idea of a cooking pot over a firepit though.. The ability to just toss in some meat, veggies, whatever you can find and a bit o water to make a stew. Seems like this might be a way to make a steak feed four instead of one.

All true. It is suppose to be a stone age type game, at least as is. Steam punk type tech would be nice and will fit in with most of the metallurgy. But, I guess we will just have to wait and see we're Bioxx takes TFC before adding stuff like this. I just thought it'd be a good tie in for the agricultural part. At least some of it can be used like the counter and cookbook along with a grill stove and oven builds. Also early cooking in the campfire and maybe a fireplace.

This is more like me throwing my own mod idea and slowly but surely molding it into something that's more like TFC. I'd love to see this develop into something that can be added regardless of pipe and energy usage. I'll even add pictures of makeshift constructs once I can. I already have an idea for the grill:

Bottom layer: three long, two wide stone.

Top layer: stone in shape of a C with iron bars placed in the remaining space.

Original ice boxes did not, in fact, require electricity.. Just large blocks of ice.. ANd brine, dried meats and the like were the ways food was preserved, and still are to this day actually. As for water, something will need to be done that will not require electricity either. Even some kind of a hand pump well or irrigation or the like will need to be done there.

I do like the idea of a cooking pot over a firepit though.. The ability to just toss in some meat, veggies, whatever you can find and a bit o water to make a stew. Seems like this might be a way to make a steak feed four instead of one.

Oh, I like the Hand pump idea better than a sink. And the meals for multiple people would be useful for SMP.

Edited OP: Changed items to make it more TFC friendly. Thanks for your ideas guys keep it up. :)

A hand cranked pump would be really awesome for drinking water

For the kettle; place the kettle And what you want the boiled(filtered) water to go in in a simple shapeless recipe in your inventory interface. The kettle returns to your inventory(empty) and the other is filled with filtered water.

Edited OP :

Made more changes to make it TFC friendly.

Cup to goblet.

Cookbook to recipe table and uses markings with scribing table interface.

Counter uses recipes made similar to plans in the anvil.

Stove grill and oven to oven and fireplace.

Removed frying pan.

Plates to be used similar to mouldings to hold meals.

Ice pick for ice for the ice box.

Drying rack for drying meat and various other things.

Hey! Great minds think alike I suggested something very similar on minecraft forums a month or so ago. Although I have to admit you went into far more detail.

I'd love your input. If you have any ideas that i didn't I can add it if its TFC friendly. The more stuff the merrier.

At the moment I am doing research on Beekeeping and Brewing beer the old fasioned ways. Beekeeping may not seem like something for cooking but candied foods can also last a long time as well as the bees pollenating the crops. And I will add more on satchels, pouches and backpacks that'll fall into this suggestion and I'll explain why as well. Along with more information on perishing foods and a use for rotten food. Weither or not it's already being implemented. I'd also like to add a senario section that'd explain early hunting and gathering that you;d do before farming, herding, and cooking. I also changed the name of the thread to something more apropriate.

ah ha here it is on page 77 of the forums

Okay so I was attempting to work on my failure of a mod when an idea suddenly hit me. I think you will be able to make more use out of it than i could not to mention i can't code worth crap. But anyways it consisted of an oven, a fridge, possibly salt, a cutting board and the idea of possibly adding more small blocks that would do other things to food

1. Oven: an object resembling a furnace which would cook food or food like objects I think it would be cool if used your same heat bar and as someone said earlier made it possible for food to burn

2. Fridge: for starters I would change the name to icebox as an icebox doesn't usually require electricity it would prevent food from going bad and becoming rotten flesh or any other rotten or moldy item. For it to work it would require ice or snow to cool off the food. This would mainly be a luxury as ice and snow in most places is not easily accessible.

3. Salt: Another mineral to randomly generate possibly in a desert lake where it is realistically found but possible in other areas to make it easier to find. It would be used as a preservative for food allowing you to dry food or even make a "salt barrel" to put food in.

4. Cutting Board: where all food is prepared and chopped using a cutlery knife this would be where found would finally come together as a meal or dish. Uses a three by three plus one slot set up the 3x3 would be where the food goes and the extra slot would be for tools such as the cutlery knife or a masher or peeler or something along those lines.

5. Cutlery Knife: An item used in the cutting board for slicing items it would slowly get dull throughout use either having to be sharpened or replaced. It could have a small blueprint in the metallurgy table and be put on a handle

6. Additional Ideas: Butter churn, Pickling table, grinder(wheat or meat), and possibly some type of mixer

I would appreciate any feedback even it was something along the lines of "your an idiot" or "why are you here" I would just like an acknowledgement that people (especially you bioxx) have read this.

Additional comments from later included the idea of placing the ice box underwater, and using the oven to cook stacks of food. Bioxx's comment on this was "Cooking objects and all that will be addressed in some fashion Posted Image" pg.80

after reading your edited OP, i was very happy to see where your idea took you. the level of detail and usefulness of these ideas is awesome. i would love to have bioxx look at this and go... yeah you know what, those sound like a good idea

after reading your edited OP, i was very happy to see where your idea took you. the level of detail and usefulness of these ideas is awesome. i would love to have bioxx look at this and go... yeah you know what, those sound like a good idea

Ya I agree, congrats dude (or dudette whatever the case may be) this is nice seems like you really put some effort into this, hope it will be time well spent.

hahah nice. We did think alike. I hope our idea will make it through. My original idea included a fridge as well and a blender, along with a cuboard version of chests for looks. I wanted it to be a tie in mod with Industrial and Biuld, but since I know diddly squat about modding myself and that I find TFC to have an amazing consept to ghow survival should be played and wanted to suggest this to Bioxx. It's good that cookin will be added in some way.

I'm still trying to add beekeeping, which doesn't really have much to do with cooking, but the honey could be used to candy meat and friuts for long trips in the new 145 surface height.

Brewing on the other hand can be optional though.

(dude btw) My apologies. I reread the OP and realized I made some confusing mistakes. I will change them and make the entire section that contained the errors bold because of the extent of the errors.

Edit: Done.

BEEKEEPING 1

Now starting on a Hunter-Gather Section that will tie in to the early cooking with just a campfire. I'll edit this post saying its done when I am.

Edit:Also adding biulds to the items. I will add more, but my computer seems to want to delete stuff as I type. So I'll continue this once I get ahold of my Ipod again.

Idea:

Snow can also be used in the Icebox but doesn't last as long as crushed ice.

Edit2: just saw that Bioxx may be adding beekeeping so I'm gonna have to hurry up my research on them.

From what I gathered you can have anything from collecting honey straight from the hive, to apiaries that have removable slides that contain the combs. The fact that bees help with pollenation could be used in the mod to produce a better crop. Honey in my suggestion could be used in recipes and candying foods for perservation. As well as using wax for many things.

I'll look up other uses for honey and wax in more than just for cooking too.

BEEKEEPING 2

Sorry for the double post but I felt this should be separate as soon as im done researching I'll add these to the OP

Uses for beewax and honey:

Wax;

--Used on the string of a bow to help the string last longer. A durability bar could be added to the bows and an application of wax will make it last longer or replenish some of the durability.

--Can be used to give iron a shine but is useless for this mod.

--Oh here's a good one, if copper or bronze piping and steam punk like things are added, beewax can be used to Perserve and maintain bronze and copper. Can be used along some grease Item to maintain machines and bronze/copper made structures.

--Used in jewelry.

--Used to maintain and lubricate saws and drills in metal fabrication.

--Used I the process to make paper somehow

--Used in wip making

--Used in metal threading such as gold threading.

--Wax is used to flux molten bullets and helps remove impurities, can be used to make bullets or through the smelting of metals.

--Waterproofing and candles

Honey:

--used as a perservative

--used to treat burns and open wounds

--used as food. The comb can be eaten too

--used as a cure for hangover. My alcohol section will be like the tea section but alcohol will give better buffs but also permanent and/or temperary debuffs that can be cured with honey.

--Honey wont spoil, honey IRL lasts a very VERY long time.

if all of this would go in TFCraft, I would be a happy man

Mmmmmmm that talk of honey makes me want some mead. Should add brewing mead to the honey section :D

I'm trying to do some research on brewing and mead would be great for it. I feel like I should make the beekeeping section in a separate thread for easier finding.

I could try that. The only thing is, from what I heard Bioxx prefers that each idea is in a separate thread. But, I don't know if that's for real.

For the time being I'm going to expand on the beekeeping in the OP once I wake up. I work late and i just got off so sometime tonight I'll update the OP.

Add Beekeeping to the OP, fixed the Fireplace part, and check out the few Hunter-Gatherer items that are added.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0