Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AllenWL

What 'mincraft rewrite/total conversion' mod do you like/know/play/enjoy?

32 posts in this topic

Better Than Wolves was my first 'total conversion' mod I had ever tried.

I was bored of Vanilla minecraft, bored of mining for iron and iron and iron when all I needed, or used was a iron pick and a stone sword.

I tired every mod, messed around in creative mode, but I wanted something other then 'here's some random new items and mobs that don't really effect gameplay, have fun'

So I found Better Than Wolves. It was fun, it was exciting. It also horribly killed me nearly every night, or had me cowering like a fool as all my food source ran out and I starved. Basically, it was too hard for me.

Then, a few months after I quit Better Than Wolves I saw a passing comment on TerraFirmaCraft that described it as "Like Better Than Wolves, but easier"

So I decided to try it out. TerraFirmaCraft was as different from Better Than Wolves as Better Than Wolves was different from Vanilla Minecraft.

The stones, knapping, the metallurgy system, animal genders, firepit, charcoal pit, forging, leatherworking... 

It captivated me, it had depth and balance I had seen before only on Better Than Wolves, but less harsh more 'newbie-friendly' I guess.

But after some time, the frustration of searching for things caught up to me. I had no food. save for some meager crops, Try as I might, I couldn't find enough ores to advance, nor could I, no matter how far and wide I looked, find fluxstone to make my anvil.

So again, I wandered, looked at different mods and maps which said words like "never seen before" "unique" and so on but seemed much alike, or was so poorly planned that I beat the whole thing in less than an hour. After some traveling(and some time playing Ex Nihilo and making a custom map for it), I heard of a mod called MineFantasy. I had heard of it before, a short time after I quit Better Than Wolves, but it was a very, very in beta mod.

I deiced to give it another go. It was easygoing, much easier then Better Than Wolves or TerraFirmaCraft, but no less better because of it.

While it was a work-in-progress, it was much better then some finished mods I knew of had a well-made progression and tool tiers, the only flaw I saw was that it was slightly combat-and-crafting focused, and had a bit of a neglected survival(gathering food, difficulty, from first tool to first metal, all that stuff), but even with all that, it was a great and captivating mod.

And most recently, through a person on the Better Than Wolves thread at the minecraft forums, I learned of a mod called Minecraft Is Too Easy(or simply, MITE). This mod was a refreshing experience. It seemed to have good progression, it changed most parts about minecraft, and it was the first mod ever to make Better Than Wolves seem like a walk in the park. It was downright evil. And extremely, extremely fun.

In a hardness scale, I'd rate:

MineFantasy: Causal.

TerraFirmaCraft: Mildly Challenging

Better Than Wolves: Challenging

Minecraft Is Too Easy: Brutal

On a Fun scale, all four of them get a 10/10

Currently, I play all 4 of them. Takes a but of juggling around, but totally worth it

So, that was the very basic rundown of my experience with 'total conversion' mods.

How about you guys? What 'total conversion/rewrite' mods do you know?

How fun and/or difficult would you rate it?

Do you still play them?

I can't say as I've really played much of BTW or MITE, but I should probably give them another try. I'm very fond of TFC's crafting overhaul and worldgen so I haven't really been interested in mods that are closer to vanilla. However, it would be nice to be challenged by hunger again. B78's new food system is nice, but since I play in single-player I constantly have more food than I can eat.

None :| TFC is the one mod to rule them all! The end all be all of mods. The holy grail. My precioussssss.

All joking aside I should give those a try, I can get into a fanboy mode where I think TFC is the only game in existence.

BTW is nice....but is very hard and u can't save your location...is very annoying if u die...u have to start all over again....I like RPG/medieval...i like to build to make medieval buildings...so i play BTW a lot until the update with no bed....it is possible to save the location with a beacon....but to make that...is hard (with no op of course). Now I like TFC....I love it  :D looking forward next updates.I read the suggestions list and is awesome :wub: (sorry for my english)

I can't say as I've really played much of BTW or MITE, but I should probably give them another try. I'm very fond of TFC's crafting overhaul and worldgen so I haven't really been interested in mods that are closer to vanilla. However, it would be nice to be challenged by hunger again. B78's new food system is nice, but since I play in single-player I constantly have more food than I can eat.

While it's true that BTW and MITE uses the minecraft mechanics and textures for few things, but if you think that they would be even remotely close to playing vanilla minecraft, you are in for a surprise(and lots of deaths).

They add many new thing, tweak many more things(mostly to make them harder), and really, have a feel that is nothing like vanilla minecraft.

There is a reason why both MITE and BTW are incompatible with everything, and it's certainly not because of lazy modmakers.

None :| TFC is the one mod to rule them all! The end all be all of mods. The holy grail. My precioussssss.All joking aside I should give those a try, I can get into a fanboy mode where I think TFC is the only game in existence.

You should, they are pretty fun.

But other then mine fantasy, BTW and MITE are wickedly hard.

BTW is designed so dying and recovering from death is pretty much a part of the progression, and MITE is simply designed to slaughter you as much as possible

BTW is nice....but is very hard and u can't save your location...is very annoying if u die...u have to start all over again....I like RPG/medieval...i like to build to make medieval buildings...so i play BTW a lot until the update with no bed....it is possible to save the location with a beacon....but to make that...is hard (with no op of course). Now I like TFC....I love it  :D looking forward next updates.I read the suggestions list and is awesome :wub: (sorry for my english)

The fact is, it's pretty much a solid part of BTW's survival strategy to create a network of bases at all the different spawn points, and each death should make recovering from death easier.... or harder, depending on how well you planned things out. But yea, it's hard, and takes loads of patience(got a world I've been working on for nearly a yea, and still in the stone age).

But if you think BTW is annoying, you would hate MITE.

Mite is(and here I quote)"A mod for people who want to grind till their eyes bleed"

It makes BTW seem easy

I played....

- Resonant Rise

- Hexxit

- Attack of the B-Team

- Modded skyblock (Ex Nihilo/Sky Den)

- Life in the woods (hunger survival)

- Captive Minecraft

- Terrafirmacraft (playing currently)

I'm somewhat interested in the new Mindcrack 'Crackpack' mod pack. Little bit worried it wont be much fun in single player tho.

Having played so much modded MC, I will unlikely play plain vanilla MC again...

… Currently, I play all 4 of them. Takes a but of juggling around, but totally worth it …

TFC is the only mod I'm playing, but I set it and Forge up in their own launcher folder/directory. Keeps saves, prefs, and configs completely separate from my official and snapshot folders. I just select which variant I want to play in the launcher and run it.Just checking.

TFC is the only mod I'm playing, but I set it and Forge up in their own launcher folder/directory. Keeps saves, prefs, and configs completely separate from my official and snapshot folders. I just select which variant I want to play in the launcher and run it.

Um, could you tell me more about it, possibly?

MITE and BTW don;t use forge or modloader, so they use separate minecraft 'versions' and are easy to switch to, but the Forge mods that I use are kinda annoying to juggle around as I end up having 4~5 mods folder that I switch on and off, and it's somewhat tedious and annoying if I forget to switch to the correct mod folder

If your way is easier to setup/use, I would most definitely use your way

If I remember correctly:

From the launcher, click New Profile button.

Give the profile a name you'll remember.

Click the Game Directory checkbox and change the directory to something else. For example, my directory ends in "…/minecraft", so I changed it to "…/minecraft-tfc". This will have the launcher create a brand new storage directory to download jars into (without removing or altering your original directory), with its own config and saves directories (the saves will only be visible in Minecraft when you use this profile, and you won't see the saves from your other profiles).

Adjust any other settings you want (I gave Forge/TFC more memory than I usually give Minecraft).

Click the Save Profile button.

Follow the instructions to install Forge (which I believe includes running Minecraft once from this profile), but install it in the correct directory for the new profile.

Install mods in "…/minecraft-tfc/mods".

Personally, I like Terrafirmacraft

Well, who would have guessed :D

Was thinking about this for a bit, and im not sure, usually in terms of modded minecraft im more a machine guy then anything else.

Id be intrested to see what and how the following mods would function with TFC:

• IC2
  • IC2 Nuclear Contr
  • Gregtech
  • Thermal Expansion
  • Tinkersconstruct
  • Forestry

Although arguable the usefullness and ballance of these mods is my biggest concern, i like building things that take time im personally fan of having Gregtech with IC2 when its avaible in modpacks for this very reason. But now im getting kinda adicted to this whole TFC genre of this with everything being insanly harder compared to Vanilla, and in terms of making things harder Gregtech is the only one on that list that would fit into that genre but with the supporting mods it needs (or needed) thats kinda open for debate aswell i guess :P

For now im quite happy to keep the 2 worlds seperated, even if its just to not stress my brain to much :)

Id stay away from Twilight forrest though and Thaumcraft, the thought of there monsters with a TFC tough up makes me shiver, Angry TFC Zombies that herd ..... ieeek :P (much like Gregtech and TFC combined, a dreadfull idea in terms of progression) ...

Tech tree mods do not combine well unless you edit the recipes

That being said this all depends on why you like TFC. If you like TFC because you think the vanilla tech tree is dumb, and you want a slow climb to IC2 technology, then it can work with recipe edits

It will not however if you think the TFC tech tree should be end game. Basically everything you will produce lategame will make TFC tech obselete.

And you are on the TFC forums, you should not be making comments implying gregtech is tedius.

And you are on the TFC forums, you should not be making comments implying gregtech is tedius.

*raises eyebrow* ..... are you reading things that i am not ?

I'm at a loss as to why being on the off topic bit of the TFC forums makes us not able to make comments that imply gregtech is tedious, unless some takes offence at hearing that or something, which I doubt.

Well, I don't know if IC2 fits in with the 'topic' of this thread, but this is a off-topic thing anyways so.....

I'll try IC2 myself I guess.

Just wondering though, but why does IC2 only have experimental versions?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I think I was reading too far into the lines there and seeing things that weren't there

IC2 builds are experimental as the creator Alblaka disappeared without saying anything. There hasn't been a non experimental version since then

Theoretically he could come back and start ripping out changes out of the new version, possibly ruining people's saves (not that I think that would happen).

He could also be dead

Well, I don't know if IC2 fits in with the 'topic' of this thread, but this is a off-topic thing anyways so.....

I'll try IC2 myself I guess.

Yeah i think i might have misread the title a little bit, i gett over excited sometimes due to medication :P

I've concluded that IC2 does not fit with the 'mincraft rewrite/total conversion' mod thing for the following reasons.

1. Items and blocks added by IC2 are not needed. They are really 'extras' that aren't really needed to advance, but makes things a bit easier if you have them.

2. Unlike TFC, BTW, MITE, or MineFantasy, it leaves your base minecraft experience untouched.

While the other mods require you to adapt to new situations, new environments, and new mechanics, IC2 simply gives you expensive, high-powered toys to play around with

It does not change or add to the survival aspect of minecraft in any way

I've concluded that IC2 does not fit with the 'mincraft rewrite/total conversion' mod thing for the following reasons.

I crossed them off from that list, including Thermal Expasion and forestry, since they bassicly fall into the same area.

I left the other on the list because there both into changing the way you play minecraft from the start, although there is a clear difference between the way they do so. Id even dare say that the one is making things harder and while other is aiming more at making things easier. And they can both also be used as stand alone mods, atleast last time i played Gregtech they were working on that a lot, havnt checked in cause of RL stuff and they kinda removed it from the modpacks i was usingmoderating at that point in time.

I kinda went overboard on the whole "total conversion" part of the title :)

I thought about trying gregtech, but I gave up hen I saw that the wiki was a downright mess.......

Couldn't even find a guide on what to do

On a random random thing, it looks like IC2 for minecraft 1.7.2 doesn't work for me

I thought about trying gregtech, but I gave up hen I saw that the wiki was a downright mess.......

Couldn't even find a guide on what to do

On a random random thing, it looks like IC2 for minecraft 1.7.2 doesn't work for me

Yeah the wiki used to be poorly maintained (if maintained at all), with all the recent changes and porting to mc version i could see things being even more confusing then they used to be. The FTB wiki used to be a good place for missing info but since GT and TC had a fit and GT got removed on default from there packs it not been the same in terms of updates to it.

As for IC2 that last know experimental build for 1.7.2 was #484, anything newer needs Forge 10.13.x.x.xxxx i think, witch might in terms cause issues on version lower then 1.7.10 ? Havent had the time nor state of mind to look into all the new things, i kinda stopped with machine mods around 1.6.4 as they were all in the process of updating and messing around with things making them even more easy :P

so... they call it for version 1.7.2, but it needs forge for 1.7.10...... go figure

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0