Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
yngwieslash

Ease

13 posts in this topic

This comes from experience with TFC on hardcore single player. A lot of the game play is not hard because of TFC, it is just tediously slow. I recommend being able to stack more logs, possibly 32, stack weapons or increase their durability, allow a quicker way of fashioning a sword and torches and make the bellows more accessible and earlier on to avoid the insane wait for a kiln.

Animal breeding should also be overhauled too. It's silly how they don't spawn back in. Staying in one area is the only way of surviving and accumulating items in the first place, Although vanilla has some silly issues, this takes it a little too far. You have to wait hours to grow the materials, for the babies to grow yadayadayada. Maybe just breed then with wheat and increase the wait time? Or they breed randomly in an enclosed space so many times per hour? Maybe add villager mechanics so their max number is capped based on some number of 'x'.

The seasons concept is just plain bad. They change far too slowly. Food grows far too slowly and is extremely sparse. The mobs deal far too much damage compared to your ability to fend them off. There are absolutely no real building materials early on save logs and log stacks. A single log takes the same time to cut as an entire tree. Realism fine. But there are plenty of unrealistic things already for ease.

The prospectors pick is of tedious and poor design. Yes it is easy to use, but it means a lot more work. The mine shaft ideas do not work. There are ways around it and for good reason, as there is no other way to carry wood - you would need half a stack of support with you. Maybe the pick should give more information based on the tier.

The doors seem buggy or something. I was completely locked down in my house on hardcore with a door, went afk for a minute and when I came back a skeleton was in my house and I was dead. 

Maybe these changes aren't for everyone, but some people don't have enough time to play for hours just for a crop to grow or smelt some basic materials. Maybe there should be two different game-modes both retaining the game-play but one for casual and one for long time investors. I like the mod, but not enough to play it for the time it demands.

You seem you would enjoy some other mods perhaps. You don't have to play whatever Etho is playing, you know :)

Play on servers and bye bye wait times :)

TFC is not made for players who want to be at end-game within a couple hours. Everything takes longer in TFC, and for me that's part of the charm. I really doubt Bioxx or Dunk is interested in spending time making an easy-mode when they could be adding new features and content. If you want a fast paced experience you ought to look elsewhere. There are other mods that make Minecraft more believable/challenging, such as Better than Wolves or Minecraft Is Too Easy.

BTW or MITE doesn't really focus on making Minecraft more believable ,just challenging.

And if they think TFC is too tedious, they will not like MITE. It takes around 5 seconds to break sand and leaves, longer for gravel or dirt/grass, you need to break leaves to get sticks, a processes that could take a good 2~3 minuets. Then you have to break gravel until you get enough flint, and so on. MITE is Not for players who want a fast-paced experience, and nether is BTW.

MineFantasy would be better.

A single log takes the same time to cut as an entire tree. Realism fine. But there are plenty of unrealistic things already for ease.

If you use a saw for a player-placed log, it will break faster

There are absolutely no real building materials early on save logs and log stacks.

You can use thatch and clay blocks for building material as well, and with a gold pan, it's easy to get enough metal for a saw and/or pick for more building material.

Staying in one area is the only way of surviving and accumulating items in the first place, 

Not really, there are plenty of players that play 'nomadic' in the first few days, building quick shelter for the nights, and going around gathering materials until they find a good spot to settle down.

The seasons concept is just plain bad. They change far too slowly. 

You can change it in the config

. The mobs deal far too much damage compared to your ability to fend them off. 

That's why it's a good idea to avoid mobs until you get better gear, and not go charging off to slaughter them in your first night

The slowness and difficulty of things are what make this mod so awesome, I hope the mod creators don't ever change that. 

I agree with AllenW. I think OP's complains are primarily from wrong mindset, that is heavily rooted in Vanila and Modded MC. TFC needs completely different approach and way of thinking. 

The doors seem buggy or something. I was completely locked down in my house on hardcore with a door, went afk for a minute and when I came back a skeleton was in my house and I was dead. 

Oh. That happened to me once too. Except I had huge hole in a wall. /sarcasm

This never happened to me. Must be error on your side.

The slowness and difficulty of things are what make this mod so awesome, I hope the mod creators don't ever change that.

Up to a reasonable level. I'd rather have more features in the long run, than having every step drawn out mercilessly (like building a full-blown blast furnace).

I will agree that many of TFC's mechanics seem to be complex just for complexities sake, but most of the time settings can be changed in the config file as AllenWL points out.  This mod(at least originally) was made for multiplayer, to have a community to work with and help build, and the time scales fit having the game world advancing under time 24/7.

Actually the mod is quite simple. my suggestions were given this fact, speed things up. I don't mind it being hard - I just believe there should be an option to speed things up.

You don't need to be at endgame in a couple of hours. Simply speeding up some functions allows you to reduce the insane waiting times for baking clay or making torches.

Don't really think anyone got the point of my question except AllenWL. If I change the season time in the config, will it speed up growing times etc? Or will it just mean winter comes 5x as fast and I will essentially die quicker for lack of food.

Infact there are many bugs with this mod, not just with the doors. I did have a hole in my house you are right. It was one block deep for running water over gravel. Impossible space to fit through.

The physics of collapsing dirt is rather silly. You can still get one piece floating in mid air. Using thatch or clay as a building material is again the problem with this mod. It isn't hard, it is just incredibly slow. There are numerous ways of making a shelter without having to pick up 400 thatch or 400 clay.

I'd say to each their own. I cannot say that TFC is particularly slow, it's just much slower in pacing the gameplay to what average Minecraft player got used to. Still,I don't mind it an I am not surprised that in some other threads people actually think of progression as too fast.

I must say I like it this way myself. The biggest charm of the game for me is actually having some nice, practical goals and progressing through them. The time where I only start to be self-sufficient but still didn't finish a decent house or workshop, where I only have low-tier anvil and so on - that's when the game offers the most fun to me, as I take care of most immediate needs and lose the immediate threats to my survival but still don't have everything I need or want.

Once I'll finish building whatever I set out to do, have a decent farm and a set of metal equipment, the game loses most of that charm - sure, there's higher tier metal out there or other thing I didn't yet get but at this point it's hardly enticing - why would I need better metal for if not to fight monsters most of which I only will have to deal with when going to find metal. Circular logic.

However, that being said I am not sure the OP meant the pacing of gameplay here, despite the further discussion. His suggestions are, mostly at least, regarding comfort and ease of particular daily chores, where currently the player is often forced to wait some time for some practicular action (like preparing a bundle of torches). I wouldn't mind certain adjustments to make common, repeatable chores easy and painless, though again, I don't mind it going the way it is (with maybe sllight exception in aforementioned torches).

I am not fond of the suggestion regarding quick fashioning of swords, though. I like the fact that making equipment is actually an undertaking. It makes every piece acquired feel more meaningful, rather than how it'd be if we'd churn out weapons like mad. Durability could be slightly changed - I wouldn't mind weaker metals, like copper or black bronze (which actually is rather weak for bronze and was used for art and accessories, not weapons) to actually give up even sooner, but for iron, steel and higher to last quite much longer (though in general, I'd like metals to differ a more bit in stats so there won't be just tiers where everything of tier 3 is unarguably better than anything on tier 2 etc).

I will also have to disagree with suggestions for animal handling. Staying in one area is not the only way of surviving and accumulating items. While it'd be harder to even reach age of even most basic metallurgy, with enough luck, skill and knowledge about the area - where and when to find edibles etc - one can live quite long and accumulate quite much as a nomad. Sure, lot of features will be unavailable to such a person but it is possible. Beside that point, journeys to trade and to find new resources are a common thing in human history, not a weird thing at all.

Many resources you also won't have to walk to find if you'll play wisely. Don't slaughter every animal you see, get a sapling or two and plant some trees after clearing a part of some forest - it'll take you a long way.

Time flow I'd like actually slower. Days are too short, at least in summer in temperate areas and some seasons I barely noticed when spending some time on a longer mining/spelunking expedition.

you sure your house was completely lit up?

Don't really think anyone got the point of my question except AllenWL. If I change the season time in the config, will it speed up growing times etc? Or will it just mean winter comes 5x as fast and I will essentially die quicker for lack of food.

The growth rate of crops is indeed based of of the year length. So if you shorten your years, the crops will grow faster.

Honestly though? The majority of players actually increase the year length so that crops take even longer to grow to add even more difficulty to the game.