Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Beastplayer102

Food Sources

7 posts in this topic

MEAT

I just started playing Terrafirmacraft and had set up what i need to survive, well everything but food... So, I set out to find some and came across a pig. I figured i'd have to kill like 5 or 6 of them to sustain my hunger, but when i killed it i realized it was more than enough. I lived for about a month before having to hunt again, which i thought was very unrealistic...

Anyways, my point is that I would like to have to hunt every other day or maybe even every week, to keep myself alive. I feel as though I sit around alot waiting for something to do, and having all that food just makes time for me to circle the globe in search of plants (which only takes about an hour of my time) to keep more food? I was wondering if in the upcoming update, If there could be more focus on nurishment. I think that food should be harder to get and you should have to always be in a constant battle for food..

MOBS

I also think as well that it would be very benificial to the game if you had more mobs spawn, and would be able to make alot more types of food from them..

(  anyways i beileve that if these things were added in it would add to alot more supporters... Also, I'd like to say this is my favorite mod By Far :D  )

The amount of meat that an animal drops on death is actually extremely realistic, with the weight numbers being off of research on how much meat butchering an animal actually yields. This massive amount of meat is balanced with the fact of how quickly it rots. Obviously if you're living in the tundra, the rot is nonexistent because of the code, but in warmer climates I would be surprised to see that meat last more than a week, even with constant maintenance of cutting off the decayed portion. TFC is also balanced towards multiplayer, so that food is going to end up being eaten a lot more quickly thanks to fact that there are more players eating it.

The amount of meat that an animal drops on death is actually extremely realistic, with the weight numbers being off of research on how much meat butchering an animal actually yields. This massive amount of meat is balanced with the fact of how quickly it rots. Obviously if you're living in the tundra, the rot is nonexistent because of the code, but in warmer climates I would be surprised to see that meat last more than a week, even with constant maintenance of cutting off the decayed portion. TFC is also balanced towards multiplayer, so that food is going to end up being eaten a lot more quickly thanks to fact that there are more players eating it.

I realise this and understand but idk it seems kind of to much to me.. Maybe you could add in a config for it to ajust the amount that they drop on death? Thx for the quick reply! :)

(or maybe even faster rotting, on average realistically meat lasts about 2 days without being preserved.. Maybe you could set the meat to decay at a faster rate)

don't put them in vessels. that cuts the decay by 50%

Animals make good food sources, but iirc, they don't respawn in TFC. So yeah, killing wild animals gives a good bit of food, but they aren't renewable. I think it's a fine tradeoff, and plenty realistic. Though raw meat really should require preserving of some kind within 2 days or it will go bad; I agree with that idea. Even just having to cook it immediately would lengthen it's shelf life to a good bit more, depending on climate (irl, anyway).

I'd also agree mostly with how the animals and acquiring meat works like right now. It actually nicely balances the game, giving some boost in food to beginner players who only started to set up their places while over time but as hunting keeps going on and player doesn't care about domestication, this source of nourishment becomes more and more rare.

Possibly I could agree though that in the very beginning it provides a bit too much food. Maybe it'd be possible to make animals loaded in the chunk for the first time start as very small and young, thus providing less resources and offering a choice between quick gain short-term and bigger gain later? It would create some issue regarding acuisition of skins, though (making most, but nor all animals very young at start, then?).

Given that no matter how much meat you have, you'll be able to fill only one group of nutrition with it, it's a good way to ensure survival without allowing the player to thrive too easily.

I wouldn't want for more mobs to spawn for aforementioned reason - animals are great source of food but player should be careful with harvesting it because of quickly diminishing source. It's also an incentive to actually domesticate some animals or venture further.