Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plixus

No other dimensions?

12 posts in this topic

Hey there,

First of all I want to clarify that this thread is actually intended to be in the "Discussion" forum and not the "Suggestions" one.

So my question is why can't you enter the Nether, the End or maybe a TFC specific dimension with this mod?

As I doubt that it is simply because the devs haven't implemented it yet, I'm going to assume that it is because that dimension travelling would just breake the realistic feeling of TFC?

I think that the End is really something that would not fit into the concept of this mod, however the Nether (Or an alternative dimension that ressembles it in some way) is something I personally love about Minecraft, or, let's say the concept of it. A place that you can only travel to after having solved certain requirements which don't even assure that your journey will be safe. The Nether can be a scary and dangerous place, even after having progressed a lot ingame, which is why I would really love to see something like it in this mod.

So I want to start a discussion if a place like the Nether would be something that could fit into Terrafirmacraft. I mean place because this does not have to be another dimension, maybe even something like an area deep underground or a place that is difficult to find, a place that requires that the player has already progressed to a certain point in the game only to be able to survive being in that place (Or even be allowed accessing it in the first place) and that won't become a lot friendlier even after having progressed far behind the initial requirements to get to that place.

That's it, what would you think about such a dimension or such an area? Do you think something like that would in any way fit into this mod, and do you maybe even have your own concept of such a place?

PS.: We all know that this mod is meant to add a certain reality feeling to the game, but we also know that not everything is meant to be a perfect copy of reality as it still has to keep the Minecraft feeling. It's still, a mod for Minecraft (Which is why I used the Nether, being an essential part of Minecraft, as an example).

PPS.: This ended up being much longer than I thought it would be so thanks for taking the time to read everything :P

I would personally like a dimension of some sort, but it just feels so off for TFC to have dimensions, you know?

My personal idea is if they bottom of the world was remolded into a nether-like place, with a really hard block separating it from the rest of the world, but that would probably cause lag

In the previous build the nether was accessible and as long as you avoided during certain things ( mostly placing tfc items in the nether) you would be able to navigate around fine. Currently entering the nether causes your game to crash. You could still get a portal and light it if you know what you're doing, it just crashes you and you can't get back in because you log in and then just crash again. I liked the ability to go into the nether for a few reasons but overall it's against the spirit of tfc and just doesn't make sense with the goals tfc is trying to accomplish.

I may or may not have another dimension planned....

Sweet! A chance to dig to the Earth's core.

I don't think that dimensions are much of an issue in TFC, same with magic - it really depends on how implemented. Heroic fantasy-styled 'demon killing swords for everyone' would be bad but rare, hard to obtain/create items of subtle mystical qualities and dangerous dimensions where survival isn't brought down to 'don't let the monsters kill you' would be very much in tune with beliefs of ancient, very much survival-oriented cultures.

The answer to the main question was mostly given but to reiterate: TFC doesn't have different dimensions not just because - as far as I recall from earliler discussion - they're bad but because they'd have to be adjusted to the current system in a way that they would make sense (fitting recipes, gameplay and mechanics that would mesh well with the rest of TFC) and, due to big differences in 'guts' between vanilla and TFC - because they're currently not compatible.

Given recent discussions about lack of late-game potential goals (as in 'stuff to do') that basis of isn't aesthetic or grinding better metals for the hell of it, new dimension and associated content could possibly be a solution.

As for concepts, I wouldn't want single-themed world like how the Nether or the End was. I'd rather have land with uncommon geography, a weird plant or other block here and there, ruins and unique items/ingredients. Imagining world of, say, plains and forests full of really small hills and dark, pale blue and green flora covering entrances to underground lairs and crumbling forts of dead cultures, with some nasties living here and there, guarding whatever's left.

Or cold, snowless wasteland nearly devoid of any fauna and flora, with crystal spikes, great and small, sharp and working like a cacti growing instead all over the place, especially near tiny, rare pools of water where as rare bugs - both hostile and not - covered in crystalline carapaces live, being potential enemies as well as rather horrible and meager source of emergency edibles (assuming there's at least some flesh under said carapaces) for those who visited those lands unprepared.

Those are random ideas, not particularly suggestions for the game as much as examples of what I'd like to see - fantastic lands of unique resources (just please, nothing to make superpowered equipment like the stuff in aether, thaumcraft etc) and dangers but with semi-realistic, believable survival aspect left untouched. Where environment may be different, but player's priorities in it should remain the same.

I personally like the idea of having and alternate plane of existence to travel to. if you look at Dungeons & Dragons (before 4th edition killed it) there was this large, wondrous and dangerous world you lived in and explored. you knew of the higher and lower planes, but it was a rare treat indeed if you ever journeyed there and your stay was NOT for long. i absolutely loved the nether in vanilla just for this reason (the end was severely lacking hence i got the Hardcore Ender Expansion mod) though i felt that the way the game progressed, the ender portal/ stronghold should have resided in the nether, kinda like how TFC has its progressional metalcrafts. if TFC had a system similar to this i would gladly toil and die an innumerable number of time just to get there. lol

Wait, magic and dimensions are an issue with tfc?That's not what I interpreted here:  http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5871-question-about-salt/#entry81951I thought the goal isn't realism, like real life, but believability...  TFC has the end user handling a lot of stuff that doesn't want to hold your hand in any way whatsoever, and you can implement magic and dimensions to serve that purpose, oh very much so.Magic and dimensions does not have to automatically mean you get free stuff, that's a false dichotomy.  In the elder scrolls games, not everyone is a magic user.The way I think of magic is being a researcher, a scholar, an engineer even, but never a cheater, no not that kind of magic.

This is quite a necro of a thread. I wouldn't count on magic being added directly to TFC, but as TFC is forge mod with ore dictionary support you can and many have mixed it with magic mods. As for other dimensions; they aren't compatible with TFC at this time. Bioxx attempted to fix the nether, it does generate now,but there are a number issues that cause crashes. As listed in the known bugs section the nether issues are a low priority and won't be fixed at this time. The End isn't a TFC biome and travelling there will just generate a copy of overworld with End skybox. It will also mess with the spawn coordinates in the level.dat. Ive not tested other mods dimensions to know if they work.

This is quite a necro of a thread. I wouldn't count on magic being added directly to TFC, but as TFC is forge mod with ore dictionary support you can and many have mixed it with magic mods. As for other dimensions; they aren't compatible with TFC at this time. Bioxx attempted to fix the nether, it does generate now,but there are a number issues that cause crashes. As listed in the known bugs section the nether issues are a low priority and won't be fixed at this time. The End isn't a TFC biome and travelling there will just generate a copy of overworld with End skybox. It will also mess with the spawn coordinates in the level.dat. Ive not tested other mods dimensions to know if they work.

Ah, I actually have some ideas myself.  Yes of course, we should not forget that TFC itself is a mod, and has it's own plans :PAs for the dimension thing, that is a bit sad to hear, but I'm happy to find out that it's getting worked on.

Think you misunderstood me. Bioxx did some work for the nether so that it generates, but there are some serious bugs. It is not being worked on as it is low priority for the mods development it was more a try for more compatibility that didn't work out.

Oh sorry I meant "was worked on".  As the way I saw it, the TFC team have a lot on their plate as it is.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0