Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Franbo

Chicken Cages

21 posts in this topic

Now that chickens only spawn in Jungles, we can often find ourselves needing to travel very long distances to get them back to our homes.

Now ropes are great, but since Ocean voyages can often be involved, they will often not be enough.

So... Chicken Cages?

A row of planks, a row of sticks and another row of planks (or we could go the thatch/stick route to make a basket)... and tada! A small cage that can hold one chicken (right click to capture/release) you can strap to your pack and bring those bad boys back home.

What does everyone think?

Franbo

I think you should be able to carry fertilized eggs, and put them in nest boxes so they can hatch, or take them out of nest boxes to carry them around

Actually, I'd just like to be able to pick up chickens directly.  You could pick up and wear the bunnies in Mo Creatures on your head...I'd be happy with putting them under your arm in TFC.  Just not sure how much work that would be for the devs.

+1 to the cage idea. There is no need to create a new block, just the cage item in your hand and right click with it to have a new item, CageWithChicken, right click it again and pop! the same chicken, with the same damage it had before (to avoid feather pluck exploit)

I actually suggested this to Dunk as well when ropes were implemented, solely based on the fact that the render for ropes attaches above the chickens head and looks kinda funny.

I think it would be easier to pick up nest boxes with eggs. So nests would save all eggs inside (like a barrel with water)

But cages would require metal.. probably iron. So cages would be more difficult and funny

Given that not always one is able to easily get egg fertilized and sometimes only lone hen can be found thus making nest boxes not really useful I would like to have cages for the chickens. I like EstebanLB's suggestions of simply using current mechanics instead of mucking with the code - simple item you right click chicken with making the item change state to 'full' and allowing right click on the ground elsewhere to release caught bird would be quite nice.

But cages would require metal.. probably iron. So cages would be more difficult and funny

not really, you can make a cage with wooden bars just as easily. it might not work for big animals, but for something like chickens, wooden cage should perfectly work fine

I support the chicken cage idea. I would also have cages work on other small and baby animals. Perhaps not horses and cows for believability, but piglets and lambs can easily be transported in inventory.

yeah you should be able to make small cadges for chickens. 

support it too, made the chicken exploration more convenient.  -_-

its a great ideal.  Can we cage baby zombies?

its a great ideal. Can we cage baby zombies?

Only if you'll make them lay eggs first.

its a great ideal.  Can we cage baby zombies?

Then they could be used as a weapon on others, which would be the stuff of nightmares, though they could probably cadge it, making it obsolete as a weapon.

My view is that baby zombies should all die, I really do hate them.

If baby zombies could only be cadged once then they would be the ultimate weapon in PVP.

but how many people run around with cages? even if they can get caged again and again, they could still work, especially if you unleash a around 10 of them. Plus it forces them to grab a cage instead of a weapon, or try to kill the thing, both which can distract them while you sneak up and slaughter them

The only problem I see with that is the zombie you free from the cage trying to kill you

I think the best thing to do with caged baby zombies is host pit fights where players are put into a pit and made to fight off the munchkin hoards for a possible reward. In fact I think that if this was possible I would set these sorts of fights up on servers with new players being given maybe some leather and a few javelins and being made to fight for food/metals/seeds they need to start out but are too lazy to find on their own.

Also the cages should be placeable and you should be able to open them via redstone signals for maximum gladiator fun.

I am quite sure we're getting out of hand with the idea, that's why my previous answer. Zombified children are kind of controversial mob with many players wanting it gone completely and with it being planned to disappear from the surface anyway, so I find caging baby zombies questionable. I am also unsure about validity of stuff like pit-fighting zombified children as far as theme of TFC goes, not to mention how much fun it would provide - sure, it will be interesting once or twice but I am suspecting most players will drop the feature afterwards.

In addition, one can be doubtful about it's use in PvP. It's a mob. It's easy to escape and avoid. It's also easy to drop a few blocks to create a safe ledge and just slash it into pieces. 10 kid zombies people may look for and spend a hour or two catching, but average player with a only a dozen or two of levels and very simple set of middle-tier metal equipment will dispatch with relative ease and several players working in somewhat organised way will simply slaughter such a group of mobs.

I'd rather restrict cages to transporting little animals (chickens, pheasants, maybe piglets).

so I find caging baby zombies questionable

So caging a bady zombies is questionable, but baby zombies in general is not?  (joking)

I'd like to see chicken cages in tfc,

a few planks and some sticks should make a nice cage for them,

or perhaps a nesting box for the flooring.