Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Franbo

Hide/Fur Armour

8 posts in this topic

Since it appears that body temperature may be appearing in future, it may be worth considering adding an entry level tier of hide/fur armour.

Essentially this is armour that could be crafted with the raw hide from animals (providing even less protection than leather) which could also contribute to keeping your body temperature up.

Franbo

I think that at the same time they introduce body temp they will also bring in clothing, possibly with its own equipment slots, but maybe you have to choose between heat and protection at some points. Wool would probably be first along with sheepskin, though other hides are sure to be useful as well. It wouldnt be too far of a stretch to have armors that are animal specific in the case of hides and fur, with wolves, sheep, bears, and deer being the most relevant for this. Having bear hide armor would finally give me a use for all the leather I've been collecting from them.

I did consider some form of quilted or cloth armour at first, but going back to the basic premise of TFC (as I understand it) it seemed to me that basic hides/fur were likely the first step in the evolution as it was much much easier than producing cloth.

Depending on how far the developer wants to go it could indeed become very specific (with different animals providing materials with different characteristics that could be combined in different ways etc.). My working assumption is that level of design/coding is likely to be excessive considering that the animal system is not yet done, and that people will likely progress beyond the tier pretty quickly.

My working objective is to provide something quickly (that could indeed be expanded upon in future), something along the lines of:

(1) Keep animal hide drops as is

(2) Allow production of some form of clothing/protection before people progress to leather (which requires a saw to be able to make planks to be able to make barrels etc.)

(3) Be believable (not necessarily real)

I am working on the basis of producing some kind of "basic" hide/fur armour rather than the luxurious apparel we know today (hence not doing the tanning). It is simplification, but trying to integrate believable and game progression into the end result.

Based on some (basic) research (anyone with more expertise is free to step in) I would expect this to essentially involve stretching and working the hide into a usable state, and assisting preservation through smoking.

The basic process I have in mind for hide/fur armour would be something along the lines of:

(1) Kill Animal

(2) Scrape Hide with a dagger (this is actual actually assumed to incorporate applying a brain/water mix to the hide)

(3) "Break" the Hide by crafting with a stick (represents making it pliable, and assumes to incorporate some basic soaking)

(4) Cook the result (to represent smoking it to help preserve it - making it "burn" at fairly low temperatures)

(5) Craft into garments

The main action omission is the use of water in various steps, but I kind of had to do that since you don't get a bucket until you get a saw yadda yadda.... Unless Bioxx wanted to build some kind of right click water dunking mechanic for hides which could be placed between the above steps (similar to the water jug filling). Instinctively that seems like an excessive amount of work considering the result, but I don't really have a good idea of the coding involved)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Franbo

(1) Kill Animal

(2) Scrape Hide with a dagger (this is actual actually assumed to incorporate applying a brain/water mix to the hide)

(3) "Break" the Hide by crafting with a stick (represents making it pliable, and assumes to incorporate some basic soaking)

(4) Cook the result (to represent smoking it to help preserve it - making it "burn" at fairly low temperatures)

(5) Craft into garments

It's important to remember that the game starts off on the year 1000 and that was roughly the pinnacle of the middle ages. During that period cotton and wool were already the primary material with which clothing was made. I think it would be far easier to implement just adding cotton as a crop and adding in a cloth weaving system that could be used to make clothes. 

It's important to remember that the game starts off on the year 1000 and that was roughly the pinnacle of the middle ages. During that period cotton and wool were already the primary material with which clothing was made. I think it would be far easier to implement just adding cotton as a crop and adding in a cloth weaving system that could be used to make clothes. 

I actually quite like the idea of a cloth weaving system.

That said, my post was about armour as much as clothes, and if I am not mistaken (happy to be corrected) the general consensus on quilted armour (which I believe was the first meaningful cloth armour) is around 12th Century onwards.

Different Armor would be cool to have.

I do eagerly await body temperature and would gladly see some fur garment to maintain it in colder climate (also, it would be nice if people would, because of bad protection from cold weather and reinforcing effect of hot one, wear armor to battle instead of practically living in it but that's beside the point).To regard points of others: leather, fur, cotton, wool - all of them were used around the period mentioned, with differences in rarity lying in social class, culture and country more than level of technological advancement.

The basic process I have in mind for hide/fur armour would be something along the lines of:(1) Kill Animal(2) Scrape Hide with a dagger (this is actual actually assumed to incorporate applying a brain/water mix to the hide)(3) "Break" the Hide by crafting with a stick (represents making it pliable, and assumes to incorporate some basic soaking)(4) Cook the result (to represent smoking it to help preserve it - making it "burn" at fairly low temperatures)(5) Craft into garmentsThe main action omission is the use of water in various steps, but I kind of had to do that since you don't get a bucket until you get a saw yadda yadda....Unless Bioxx wanted to build some kind of right click water dunking mechanic for hides which could be placed between the above steps (similar to the water jug filling).

This idea seems quite okay. I actually wouldn't mind right clicking water. Not only for the sake of soaking hides but because it does seem a far more reasonable way to drink (when clicked with empty hand) than character just jumping into water and absorbing moisture through the skin. Putting it into the barrel should work too, though, if only for a shorter period of time than how it is with making leather.

The year in the TFC calendar is arbitrary and does not match up with the christian calendar in any way. TFC begins in the middle stone age (mesolithic), a period characterized by the initial "invention" of domestication, agriculture and sedentary cultures in the much more favorable climate after the end of the last ice age. Depending on where in the world you look, it happened somewhere between 15,000 to 5,000 BC.

The endgame tech level is also usually debated, with examples of hardened steels appearing as early as 2,000 BC (a time when most cultures where still struggling with copper or bronze), but the blast furnace equipped with tuyeres being 14th century AD tech.

In general, it's safe to call it "from stone age through early metalworking up to the middle ages" and not get too attached to christian calendar dates.