Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Terex

Replace scythe with sickle

18 posts in this topic

In TFC we use the scythe to cut foliage which is incorrect. You only have to open a dictionary to find out what a scythe is used for - i.e. the cutting of grass and grain.

However, it would be an easy fix to replace the texture and name of this tool to one that represents the sickle. If anyone is familiar with Asterix, in the comic books (and movies) the druids use the sickle to cut mistletoe from the trees. I'm sure it was also used to cut foliage. So this is my humble request for the next version of TFC (b79), please change the scythe to the sickle.

Posted Image

I don't think a sickle is necessarily the best term either. For a tool that is only useful for trimming trees, I think shears would be more appropriate... but I'm not particularly concerned about it.

The intended use of the scythe when it was first implemented was to be able to harvest a 3x3 area of crops. You can also use it to gather straw faster, since it will also break grass in the 3x3 for straw. It just happens that the most common use that players do is gathering sticks and saplings.

From the Scythe page on the wiki:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Scythe

"The scythe instantly harvests crops, leaves from trees and straw from grass in a small radius (3x3x3) around the block upon which it is used."

Well.. then to be honest its old use is deprecated. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses the scythe for farming.

I do sometimes use the scythe for farming, especialy grains. Other point, i think a knife or scythe should be required to harvest grains, as pulling them up by the roots or breakin them with your hands isnt realy feasible.

In TFC we use the scythe to cut foliage which is incorrect. You only have to open a dictionary to find out what a scythe is used for - i.e. the cutting of grass and grain.

However, it would be an easy fix to replace the texture and name of this tool to one that represents the sickle. If anyone is familiar with Asterix, in the comic books (and movies) the druids use the sickle to cut mistletoe from the trees. I'm sure it was also used to cut foliage. So this is my humble request for the next version of TFC (b79), please change the scythe to the sickle.

Actually, sickles where also used in the cutting of grass and grain. However, you would need to bend down to use it, and it was slow, so people made the scythe, which was the upgraded version of the scythe.

And yes, druids uses the sickle to cut mistletoe from trees, but a mistletoe is more grass than branches, which is why you can cut it easily with sickles(and the druids thought that a mistletoe had to be cut by a druid using a golden sickle to work, which is why they used a sickle).

But frankly, the sickly really sin't suited for cutting foliage. the best it could cut was fleshy plants(say, aloe) or grass, not branches of a tree or foliage.

It would take multiple hits, or just end op stripping the leaves and doing not much else.

In fact, the scythe, due to it's bigger size, heavier weight, the fact that it's a two-handed tool, and that you can put more force behind it, would be more suited to cutting foliage than a sickle.

rofl.. not surprised to see resistance against my idea. Yeah very believable to yield a heavy scythe above your head on a ladder. Your arms would fall off xD

well, just saying your points are not very good, and I think we would need some better points to justify a texture and name switch, because by the end of the day, it's the same thing.

So if we're going to make the devs spend time doing something that does absolutely nothing to the gameplay and only changes textures and names, we would need a really good reason.

And it's less of a your arms falling off and more of a you falling off. Most likely to a broken neck if you try to use a scythe on a ladder, on something above you.

I mean, not only is a scythe heavy, but big a bulky as well, and most certainly not designed to be held above your head

Maybe if we made it so a scythe cannot be used to break things above your waist height, and not while on ladders,

then added a sickle that has a smaller range(maybe 2x2) and lower durability than a scythe, but used less resources and and could be used anywhere

I think we need a tool for gather sapling with more %, I'm getting sick of looking up and punch leaf for few saplings.Is not correct hand be the best way to get saplings.

I think we need a tool for gather sapling with more %, I'm getting sick of looking up and punch leaf for few saplings.Is not correct hand be the best way to get saplings.

If you want to break leaves quickly without the reduced drop rate of a scythe, you can use shears. You don't get leaf blocks with a shears in TFC, it's exactly the same as breaking the leaves with your fist, but a lot faster.

If it's going to be replaced with anything it should be a billhook, which is the actual tool for taking down small branches off of trees and suchlike, the equivalent of our removal of leaves. I suggest that the scythe be split into the 'sickle' and the 'billhook' for crops and leaves respectively.

If you want to break leaves quickly without the reduced drop rate of a scythe, you can use shears. You don't get leaf blocks with a shears in TFC, it's exactly the same as breaking the leaves with your fist, but a lot faster.

Ah cool. I didn't try this yet before. Now that i have, is it normal that the shears do not take damage? This means i will effectively replace the scythe with shears for trimming trees.

Ah cool. I didn't try this yet before. Now that i have, is it normal that the shears do not take damage? This means i will effectively replace the scythe with shears for trimming trees.

Yes this is normal, because they are vanilla shears, and vanilla shears only take damage when they are used to shear sheep. Keep in mind that the shears do not do the 3x3x3 area that the scythe does, so you aren't going to be able to reach as far.

Without the addition of a tool belt for added hotbar space I'm hesitant to ask for more tool varieties. Currently almost a quarter of my inventory is tools and when you add in vessels, water and food the free slots get to be really few, really fast.

Without the addition of a tool belt for added hotbar space I'm hesitant to ask for more tool varieties. Currently almost a quarter of my inventory is tools and when you add in vessels, water and food the free slots get to be really few, really fast.

Is there a specific reason you are carrying all of your tools on you all the time, instead of storing them on a tool rack until you need them? The scythe or any similar tool seems like something you would only carry when you are intentionally going to go do something using it.

Is there a specific reason you are carrying all of your tools on you all the time, instead of storing them on a tool rack until you need them? The scythe or any similar tool seems like something you would only carry when you are intentionally going to go do something using it.

My play style is very spread out. I don't have everything on hand or within arms reach at all times. If I played in (what I would call) a boring rectangle house with several levels containing everything I would ever need right there in front of me it wouldn't be a problem. But when I'm at the smithy and the lumberyard is 100 blocks away, and the farmhouse is 60 blocks away, and the stables are 80 blocks away... etc I don't want to spend all day and night running around town to grab the things I need.

I keep a knife to trim decay and cut food when I need to.

I keep an axe on hand along with a saw to get wood for crafting on the fly.

I carry a chisel and hammer in case I want to tweak a build on the fly.

I carry a mace to deal with skeletons that are way more prolific than the spawn protection meter would suggest.

I carry a sword because zombies track me for miles.

I gave up on the bow, my back is a barrel and so a quiver is a no-go.

I carry a scythe because trees pop up around the village so often that putting away and going to get it every 3 minutes is a hassle I don't care for.

Having everything in a rectangular stone bunker-home might solve the tool overload but it would also ruin the immersion and fun for me. This is more a problem for my play style than for others. I get that. But the 9 hot bar slots of Minecraft came from a game that has half the tools. TFC added the knife, the scythe, the saw, the mace, the javelin, the hammer, the chisel and the prospector's pick. I don't think that means you should add 8 more slots, that would be over kill. But I'm amazed that with all those new tools that are needed often (some of them all the time) never has anything been done to expand the hotbar.

A tool belt, equipped next to the leggings slot (similar to a barrel or quiver on your back) and crafted with leather that added something similar to balkan's weapons mod would be a God send to players weighed down by the constant need to carry and equip these extra tools.

As for the specific topic of the thread, I love the idea of a proper tool for leaves and braches. Shears are for sheep. Scythes are for crops. But if it means yet another tool to keep track of in my crammed inventory I might just prefer keeping things unrealistic on this one.

Looks very handy. I might try it out but I remain convinced that TFC is lacking a tool-belt or some equivalent item. I'd rather have a solution that takes work to obtain in game than a download-this-mod-and-make-it-easy solution.