Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pandoomic

Smokehouse Multiblock Structure!

23 posts in this topic

As I was lamenting my inability to find some rock salt, I starting thinking of other ways to cure meat for the winter.  I came up with a new multiblock structure... the Smokehouse.  

http://imgur.com/Ufr0Z09

It could be sized differently depending on the player's needs, but I build a slightly big one... 5x5, with a 3x3 interior.  

http://imgur.com/KwLAr9l

The player would make a stone hut and place a metal chimney on top... (willow planks are my stunt chimney)

http://imgur.com/WQGkDCG

You could make metal racks (again with willow stand-ins) to hold the raw meat.  If you line the fill the bottom area with a thin line of charcoal and light a campfire in the center, your smokehouse will start smoking the meat.  Return in a few hours to have meat that would (hopefully) last through winter.  

I also made a video outlining the idea in case I wasn't totally clear in that description.  Here it is!

It seems like a decent idea, could be also used in case of preparing hides as detailed here. I would rather limit the mechanics to simply a rack over a relatively thin layer of charcoal next to which has to be a burning firepit, however - that would allow different designs instead of limiting the feature to building a separate hut/room.

So, like a charcoal pit, but a smidgen more complicated, and easily expandable. I like it

Meat smoked over charcoal would be disgusting. Only some aromatic woods are used for smoking, I think this should stay ingame.Otherwise I fully support the idea.

It's not a bad idea. As ziat007 said, wood is preferable for sure. Don't be surprised if I use some of what you have here :)

It's not a bad idea. As ziat007 said, wood is preferable for sure. Don't be surprised if I use some of what you have here :)

That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear :D 

Hint Hint :)

Instead of charcoal, logs?

I'd like to see the log pile for pit kilns be used more often

Great idea, salt is frankly a major pain.  I'd like to see more methods, like drying, fruit preserves, pickling with vinegar ect.  Also like some way of "insulating" an area to keep it cooler, it is very hard to cool a place down aside from going to a colder climate which has it's own problems.

I wanted to suggest this, but was beaten to the punch!Can't wait to be the BBQ king of my world!

Hmmmm, smoked meat should mildly improve the taste of meals it's included with, as well..

Bioxx, for the love of all that is good and holy, can we make bacon by smoking pork? Perhaps even a particular cut of meat that is fatty and only drops as a smaller percentage vs porkchops. Perhaps it's even really rare, just a novelty item for now. I want to open a shop in my town called Treyflixia's deluxe bacon bits!This would make my day. If not, that's okay too, I may have to just learn java to satiate my desire for bacon in an addon. Not sure where I'd get the time though :P

Well, in all honesty, as much as it may be going too much in-depth I wouldn't mind if there would be several different body parts beside generic meat falling out of creature that can be used for cooking. Firin' some ribs or making chicken breast cutlets/drumsticks for a dinner, anyone? Would also increase sizeably list of potential recipes/meal ingredient combinations.

Though I wouldn't give such idea too high of a priority. Or consider just settling for rare-drop novelty item 'bacon cut' which would work exactly like the meat, just looked slightly differently. Though that'd be a bit of a waste of potential.

I like the idea of different parts as well...but I want sinew as a low-tech replacement for string, and the ability to extract fat from the animals for the purpose of soap and candle making.  Of course, none of this has anything to do with smoking meat...sooooo....

I like the idea of different parts as well...but I want sinew as a low-tech replacement for string, and the ability to extract fat from the animals for the purpose of soap and candle making.  Of course, none of this has anything to do with smoking meat...sooooo....

you can make string easily with just some clay for a spindle, sheep and a knife.  Sinew was never really used like a string, it was more used for a binding as you would soak it and when it dries it contracts to become tighter then a normal knot.

I understand that...I'm thinking of sinew for things like binding sticks into stronger support beams, or threading through holes in a hide in order to stretch it for tanning.  I've been far and wide in my current world and have seen exactly zero sheep.  I basically have to hunt spiders for my string.

I understand that...I'm thinking of sinew for things like binding sticks into stronger support beams, or threading through holes in a hide in order to stretch it for tanning.  I've been far and wide in my current world and have seen exactly zero sheep.  I basically have to hunt spiders for my string.

From what I can tell sinew was not used for large scale things like tying beams together.  Instead some sort of fibrous rope would be used, and like sinew it would be soaked till it relaxed, wound around the beam then allowed to dry so it contracts to a better grip then could be done by hand.  Sinew seems to be for more delicate operations such as bows, clothing, binding arrow heads to shafts, binding early stone tool heads to hafts. ect.

This idea is effing genius.

I'm so excited people liked it so much.  Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

This is a good, idea but using charcoal would not be realistic to make it more realistic you could smoke it on oak, chestnut, or other smoking woods.(this would better fit to work with the seasoned food idea found here http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6014-spices-and-seasoning-improving-meals/)

However for the needs of making meat last longer a drying rack(like from TC) but for TFC could be used to make jerky.

This is a good, idea but using charcoal would not be realistic to make it more realistic you could smoke it on oak, chestnut, or other smoking woods.(this would better fit to work with the seasoned food idea found here http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6014-spices-and-seasoning-improving-meals/)

However for the needs of making meat last longer a drying rack(like from TC) but for TFC could be used to make jerky.

Well, you could use charcoal just fine, really, and most at-home smokers do, just with added aromatic woods. The charcoal burns relatively cleanly (imparting little flavor), while the woods do not, passing the aromatics to the outer layers of the meat.

Smoking falls under seasoning and preservation, really. Smoking has anti-microbial effects along with the cooking, and further enhances the preservative effects of salt-curing the meat.

From a gameplay perspective, I like the idea of a smokehouse being a place where you can preserve your food, and store it... Because realistically, I don't store any food anymore. It's impossible to keep on top of it in my climate. Go for a long mining expedition, come back to a bunch of empty clay pots. And that's kinda silly.