Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Terex

Snow

26 posts in this topic

I really love the seasons in TFC. I wondered when it's snowing, the snow does not pile up more than 2 layers. Can I change a setting somewhere that I can allow the snow to pile up more? During a long winter it would be neat to have to dig out of the snow eventually. Later when it gets warm again, the snow could melt layer by layer until it's all gone again.

This would compliment the planned body temperature mechanics nicely. As for a "long" winter, I'm assuming you mean one with more precipitation?

You mean, more than 2 blocks? Because it totally does pile up more than 2 layers.

Snow is indeed able to pile up to more than 2 layers, however the rate at which snow piles was decreased recently because it was getting out of hand. You'll just have to be more patient and hope that it snows a lot in the area in order for the snow to pile up higher.

Oh ok. So like a swampland close to the north/south pole then? If that biome even exists there... There is no limit on the pile up of snow then?

EDIT: Any pics where the snow piling up was getting out of hand? In a blizzard ive experienced in the USA, we had snow as much as 60 cm (like 2 feet) in one night!

There's no limit on snow pile up anywhere. It's just a matter of it actually snowing for long enough.

we should have a blizzard or snowstorm weather for intense snowing.

We have rains and thunderstorms, so why not snow and snowstorms?

Just how long did it snow to pile up that high?

Just how long did it snow to pile up that high?

While I cannot be sure I suspect the picture is from Yukiguni, making it more of a 'how frequently' rather than 'how long'. Other areas of Japan have far less problem with snow (or snow in general), up to the point that it's actually not a given for, say, Tokyo to have snow during Christmas and if more than few inches of it piles, it starts messing up the unprepared infastructure. The more you know etcBut yeah, that's a lot of snowmen material or ammo for decent snowball war, right there.In relation to the thread, I do hope that temperatures in TFC will be balanced enough to not let such situation happen here. It may be fun once, twice but after that it'll be just a problem, not to mention potential lag with blocks updating when all of it would start melting.

There's no limit on snow pile up anywhere. It's just a matter of it actually snowing for long enough.

we should have a blizzard or snowstorm weather for intense snowing.

We have rains and thunderstorms, so why not snow and snowstorms?

I really like the idea of the occasional blizzard in northern latitudes dumping 5 or 6 blocks of snow.  That would add a whole new dimension to winter survival.

If I made a wood plank hut then used the chisel to round it into igloo shape, what would happen when it was snowed upon?  Would the snow

• conform to the shape (doubt it but that would give you an igloo look)
  • retain it's square shape (that would look odd!)
  •  not accumulate on the chiseled blocks at all

If I made a wood plank hut then used the chisel to round it into igloo shape, what would happen when it was snowed upon?  Would the snow

• conform to the shape (doubt it but that would give you an igloo look)
  • retain it's square shape (that would look odd!)
  •  not accumulate on the chiseled blocks at all

The current answer is 3. Not accumulate on the chiseled blocks at all.

I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the reply though!

So my observation right now is that at z= -15,000 the snow piled up a whole 3 layers in some local spots by the time winter ended. That's ... disappointing. Can we have the option to tweak the accumulation rate in a config file? I'm sure others would love that too.

+1 snow accumulation. Make it scary to be far north in the winter.

Call me crazy but I've been testing snow accumulation at -25k on top of a mountain where temps never go above 0C. For a period from winter to summer in a precipitous biome (rain:8000) I did not observe snow accumulation beyond 2 layers. I carefully observed the patterns of the 2-layer snow piles and found they "sublimate" back to 1 layer, preventing snow from accumulating further. Please give us the freedom to modify this behaviour in TFC. Thanks.

oh! an igloo made of snow blocks, shoveled of 4 snowballs. Winter!  ^_^

While I cannot be sure I suspect the picture is from Yukiguni, making it more of a 'how frequently' rather than 'how long'. Other areas of Japan have far less problem with snow (or snow in general), up to the point that it's actually not a given for, say, Tokyo to have snow during Christmas and if more than few inches of it piles, it starts messing up the unprepared infastructure. The more you know etcBut yeah, that's a lot of snowmen material or ammo for decent snowball war, right there.In relation to the thread, I do hope that temperatures in TFC will be balanced enough to not let such situation happen here. It may be fun once, twice but after that it'll be just a problem, not to mention potential lag with blocks updating when all of it would start melting.

I am sorry to say so, but you are wrong on many things.

The picture is from the Tetayama Kurobe Alpine Route in a place named Yuki no Otani in Japanese. From the information available on the Alpine Route's website, I would say that it's completely melting every year at some point, even if there is still some snow in August.

On the other hand, Yukiguni is the name of a famous novel by Yasunari Kawabata, translated in English as "Snow Country".

As for white Christmas, I think nobody in Tokyo would understand this concept as you can still see autumn leaves in early December. I would rather say that, snow would fall in late January, or February. Also, you do not even need "inches" of snow to paralyze the city. As soon as there is snow on the ground (thing that could happen only once or twice a year), trains are stopped or delayed, people are scared to drive, etc. They don't even have shovel to move the snow.

Of course, Japan is a long country from North to South and many things can influence climate, like wind direction, mountains, surrounding water temperature, etc, so what I said about Tokyo is only valid for Tokyo.

I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the reply though!

If you play single player, you could use an NBT editor to change the detailed block texture to that of snow.  I use the NBT editor filter in MCEdit.  Of course, the snow wouldn't actually be snow, so it would never melt...

Are you at all able to collect snowballs and create snow blocks in the vanilla fashion?

Are you at all able to collect snowballs and create snow blocks in the vanilla fashion?

I believe snow balls drop if you drop water on it.

I believe snow balls drop if you drop water on it.

Crap. So I'll need Red Steel for that. Hah.

Thanks. :)

Crap. So I'll need Red Steel for that. Hah.

Thanks. :)

you can also embed some structure in the water to gather the snow and release water on it, if you really want them earlier.