Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TomatoThief

Crop Cold Resilience

11 posts in this topic

Would it be breaking the no-numbers rule to get an idea of what kinds of temperatures hardy and non-hardy crops can endure? Since Winter is Coming, I decided to scout out a vacation home that will support crops, but I want to have an idea of what will and will not work. I know nothing.

Most crops can't tolerate temperatures below 5C. I don't know which ones can though.

The minimum alive temperature for all non-hardy crops except Jute is 0C, aka freezing. Jute will die in temps colder than 5C

Edit: I've updated the agriculture page to reflect this a little better.

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Agriculture#Crop_Types

³Will survive freezing temperatures while still young. ⁴Very sensitive to the cold. Can die at temperatures as high as 5℃.

⁴Very sensitive to the cold. Can die at temperatures as high as 5℃. …

"as low as"?

As high as, in comparison to all the other crops that die at 0

"Will survive freezing temperatures while still young." implies that they can survive while not young.

Not sure how you are interpreting it that way. The opposite of "Will survive freezing temperatures while still young."  is "Will not survive freezing temperatures, even if young."

Only hardy crops in the first stage of growth can survive freezing temperatures. Hardy crops in other stages, and all non-hardy crops will not survive.

If you can think of a single, simple sentence that would be more clear, I'll replace it.

"Will survive freezing temperatures while still young." implies that they can survive while not young.

I'd say it's "Will survive freezing temperatures even when young." that implies that.

This implies that it will not survive when not young, as while still young means as long as it is still young, or simply, before it is old

I dunno, that sentence is just hard to understand. Can't you say something like "The first stage of these crops will survive freezing temperatures"?

How about replacing the Hardy column with a "Min. Temperature" column (for hardy crops 2 lines)? 

Also Bioxx mentioned in chat that Jute dies below 10 degrees...which is correct?

How about replacing the Hardy column with a "Min. Temperature" column (for hardy crops 2 lines)? 

Also Bioxx mentioned in chat that Jute dies below 10 degrees...which is correct?

The chart is big enough as is.. and the only change this would make is it saying 0 or 5 instead of yes or no, and having a footnote about hardy again. So that doesn't really fix the problem

Jute stops growing below 10 degrees, but it doesn't officially die until below 5 degrees.