Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

How to fix alcohol issue

18 posts in this topic

I noticed that due to food weight, and grain being considered a food item, beer cannot be brewed. I am sad of this and would like it fixed as soon as possible (Ye olde adventurers love their beer). Luckily, I didnt come only to ask for a solution: I also brought it with me. Stop considering grain an edible food item to players, (only food item for animals, breeding). Neither dough if possible. Grind the grains normally, and mass the dough, bake it and then you got a bread as food item.

That is bad solution, I am afraid. Temporarily it actually was like this and - I'd risk saying, rightfully so - it caused a bit of an uproar. Grains on their, at least in some cases like wheat are perfectly edible and actually considered part of the diet of prehistoric cultures.

Other than that, I do agree that it wou dbe nice if different types of alcohol would be back (possibly with different intoxication strength and effects), but I'd rather have some way of using edibles such as grain in crafting coded, for proper grain -> alcohol processing.

The problem isn't the fact that the grain is edible, it's the fact that the grain has weight on it. Before we disabled the majority of the alcohols, you could make a full barrel of beer using a 1 oz piece of grain, or a 160 oz piece of grain, and it would consume the whole thing either way.

This "fix" also doesn't work for alcohols that aren't made with grains, such as vodka and cider.

What about grains can be crafted into malt? And by the way. Id rather have alcohol with 1 oz or 160 oz even if it is the same rather than living without my daily beer. Its just depressing to me. Bring alcohol back and I will be happy, really happy.

Stop considering grain an edible food item to players, (only food item for animals, breeding). Neither dough if possible. Grind the grains normally, and mass the dough, bake it and then you got a bread as food item.

but that would mean unless you get maize, you won't be able to eat any form of grain till you get metal. that effectively cuts off 25% of your health till you get metal. not a good idea

Can't we make it so you can't seal the barrel to make alcohol unless you put in a 160oz piece and fill it up to full or something?

What about grains can be crafted into malt?

I think that malt is a good suggestion. Craft grain with a wooden bucket of water, and get malt used for fermenting/brewing. Crafting malt will give you the specific grain malt, while consuming 80oz of the grain and the water in the bucket. Potatoes might come under this as well.Apples can be processed in a similar way, except that instead of malt, you get a bucket of apple juice.This way, the weight of the foods can be avoided in the brewing process.

Malt is a good idea. Or what about the more food weight the food item has (Barley, Wheat, Apple...) The more "tasty" the booze is? That is believable, but please hurry... I cant live with my booze.... :(

Any fixes for alcohol are going to wait until Build 79, which is probably a few months away at least, since we are porting to Minecraft 1.7

The easiest solution is to make some sort of crafting recipe that consumes a certain amount of food from your apples or grain gives you something else to put in the barrel.The other solution is to let the barrel detect the weight of the food in it and refuse to seal unless that weight is either 160 oz, or falls into a weight range (This would certainly give a reason for the ability to cut foodstuffs in half)

I think that malt is a good suggestion. Craft grain with a wooden bucket of water, and get malt used for fermenting/brewing. Crafting malt will give you the specific grain malt, while consuming 80oz of the grain and the water in the bucket. Potatoes might come under this as well.

Apples can be processed in a similar way, except that instead of malt, you get a bucket of apple juice.

This way, the weight of the foods can be avoided in the brewing process.

Posted Image

Edit, because just dropping a picture is technically spam:

It would probably be best if adding malt to a barrel just produced a barrel of unsealable malt, and then a random tick update changed it to a barrel of activated malt, which could then be sealed. Otherwise, your booze won't be very boozey without a fermenting agent.

Double edit:

I wonder if anyone here remembers me...

Or, how about a fermenting agent like yeast or something you dump in with the malt?

Or, how about a fermenting agent like yeast or something you dump in with the malt?

Actually, much of fermenting is done by just letting it sit out exposed to the air a bit. Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (the yeast used in both baking and brewing) spores are just chillin' in the air in most parts of the world. You're probably breathing some in right now.

I've actually been toying with alcohol with the barrel rewrite. As of right now, the recipes still match 78 wherein you take freshwater and then add the foodtype ala apples for cider. However what I'm looking to do tonight is make it so that you need some yeast starter for some alcohols. So if you're making vodka, you'd first take grains and ferment them to get yeast and then add it to the water to create Yeast Water(the reason you need to make yeast water is because the input for liquid stuff only allows one solid item and I don't wish to change that). This will help making the alcohol process a little different for each alcohol. I'm aware that yeast spores are everywhere but I think is acceptable to say that some food types would need a starter. There are some more exciting things going on for alcohols that I cant get into yet.

I've actually been toying with alcohol with the barrel rewrite. As of right now, the recipes still match 78 wherein you take freshwater and then add the foodtype ala apples for cider. However what I'm looking to do tonight is make it so that you need some yeast starter for some alcohols. So if you're making vodka, you'd first take grains and ferment them to get yeast and then add it to the water to create Yeast Water(the reason you need to make yeast water is because the input for liquid stuff only allows one solid item and I don't wish to change that). This will help making the alcohol process a little different for each alcohol. I'm aware that yeast spores are everywhere but I think is acceptable to say that some food types would need a starter. There are some more exciting things going on for alcohols that I cant get into yet.

Well, that's a fair enough explanation/implementation. I'm excited to see what kind of boozy adventure's well all soon be getting up to.

Hell, with enough varieties of malted liquor, maybe Simon of the yogscast will even start playing

Eternal! You're back! Thank goodness. The forums were not the same without you :)

Eternal! You're back! Thank goodness. The forums were not the same without you :)

Heeeey, someone does remember me! And fondly too - wasn't expecting that

Heeeey, someone does remember me! And fondly too - wasn't expecting that

Hah. well we did get into a fight at one point... but I'm a forgiving guy.

Of course we remember you, Eternal. Anyways, I wonder what Bioxx means by more exciting uses...Perhaps different alcohols will have different stats, so to speak? I think that would be interesting and it would also be nice to make alcohol less of a useless thing.