Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xervir

New device: Range: mid-game replacement for fire pit

22 posts in this topic

New device: Range: mid-game replacement for fire pit

Getting tired of having a beautiful kitchen of stone counters and hand quern marred by a pile of burnt sticks and embers?  Well we have the solution for YOU!

Try the TFC inc.'s NEW and improved Range!  It's a beautiful construct of stone or metal that you can simply place in your kitchen!  No chimney required!

It may not get as hot as our amazing forge, but unlike the forge it will consume coal and charcoal very, very slowly!  You can use it to heat your home!  You can use it to cook your food!  You can use it to set sticks on fire!  You can even use it to dispose of Hansel and Gretel, we won't judge!  With it's lovely expanded size you can even cook them both at once!

Order yours NOW from TFC inc.!

Some assembly required

The range could have a stone base and small number of tier I or tier II metal parts, such as the grill that the cookery would rest on.

I would consume coal and charcoal at a WAY slower rate than the forge, but would only be able to heat things to Very Hot****, and it would get them there slowly.

User interface: post-9521-0-32551700-1401683721.png

1: Accepts only a stack of coal or charcoal

2: Fed by 1, consumes coal to keeps temperature up

3: Accepts any stack of anything

4: Fed by 3, heats items to Very Hot**** if the temperature permits

5: Fed by 4 should the item in it change to something else (like uncooked to cooked, or stick to torch).

The whole "holds a stack of charcoal" thing seems a bit high to me compared to the rest of TFC but the numbers aren't a big deal. I love that you could heat your home in the winter. Once body temperature gets added something like this would be a welcome addition to the game... Now if only we could make oatmeal and hot apple cider on it I would never leave my log cabin November through until May :P

I would prefer being able to use wood as a possible fuel (shorter lasting, perhaps) as it was and is used in old-type furnaces for warming houses and cooking as a very viable alternative to coal.

Beside that, I don't see overly much point in pyramid design for points 3, 4 and 5. If 3 is a stack of one thing (and it can only be that), then stuff will go through 4 to 5 progressively, taking exactly the same time. At this point, unless someone sits by the range min-maxing gains, it can be as well a single row of 3, 4 and 5. I'd rather have 2 rows of each so you can slowly cook two stacks of different items on the stove/range though that possibly could be a bit too convenient, so with one row I'd be fine as well.

In general though, sure, why not, that over/stove/range can be interesting and add to the feeling of progression without being necessary if someone doesn't want it. I wouldn't set it up as a priority planned feature, though, as I don't think that firepit built in a slab-surrounded area in the kitchen or on a nice stone block looks bad.

An upgrade to the basic fire pit would be a nice addition. I currently have a Viking long house theme so fire pits in the floor fit thematically. But when I decide to do a house something different like a dome oven would be nice.

Posted Image

Obviously, a smaller single dome version would be better for in home use.

*edit to format picture*

The whole "holds a stack of charcoal" thing seems a bit high to me compared to the rest of TFC but the numbers aren't a big deal. I love that you could heat your home in the winter. Once body temperature gets added something like this would be a welcome addition to the game... Now if only we could make oatmeal and hot apple cider on it I would never leave my log cabin November through until May :P

I was actually talking to a friend of mine about the idea and he raised the thought of wood.  I didn't like it originally because I thought it would keep it nice and uniform to have one fuel source for all your things in mid to late game, but it would make sense to be able to use wood.  A decision like wood, charcoal, vs either one would take play testing I think.

I never said it had to be a big stack, I just want to be able to walk away from it without being to afraid of it going out for a while.

An upgrade to the basic fire pit would be a nice addition. I currently have a Viking long house theme so fire pits in the floor fit thematically. But when I decide to do a house something different like a dome oven would be nice.

Ooh!  I didn't think of clay!  You could make it fire clay if you wanted to keep it mid-game.That's a lot more clay than molds though, realism would say that it would take more than 5 pieces (multiple uses for multiple parts assembled together perhaps?), but practicality says clay is a nothing resource anyway, so why bother.

To keep it after stone-age how about crafting it out of fire clay on the crafting table in the same pattern as a chest out of planks?

Technically this would be an oven though...

Not 100% if I agree with the exact GUI you have here, or the ability to dump whole stacks of something......but I'd sincerely enjoy a single-block range/oven similar to a forge with only 3 slots, which could accept either wood or charcoal/coal as fuel.The main caveat would be that it MUST look nicer than having a damned firepit in my otherwise lovely Diorite, Limestone, and Birch kitchen...

I like the idea of a dome oven or maybe a spit roaster of some sort to cook food. I don't think a 'stove' or 'range' is really appropriate though. They only really came into use within the last ~150 years or so. I remember visiting a large house built in the 1800s in Scotland and it had a huge fireplace in the kitchen with a spot to hang a kettle or hand-turned spit roaster.

I remember visiting a large house built in the 1800s in Scotland and it had a huge fireplace in the kitchen with a spot to hang a kettle or hand-turned spit roaster.

That's fine. GRAND, even. A fireplace with a spit would be marvelous, as long as it will look nice inside a home

Forge metal pot out of wrought iron sheets.

Boil potatoes. 

Take hammer off anvil.

Mash potatoes.

Hang pot over fire.

Stick potatoes in a stew.

Yes please.

Forge metal pot out of wrought iron sheets.

Boil potatoes. 

Take hammer off anvil.

Mash potatoes.

Hang pot over fire.

Stick potatoes in a stew.

Yes please.

This reminds me, there is a clay pot/fired clay pot in the creative section for pottery. Are the Devs planning to do anything with this?

I want one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

basically, the ability to use the insane number of sticks you end up with as a fuel source.  I have a large chest full of sticks and, if they're big enough to make tool handles with, they're big enough to burn.  barring that, how about at least allowing the fire pit to accept stacks of sticks?

I don't support a rocket stove, but I would support the firepit being able to burn sticks, even at an extreme pace. That would make things a bit easier when you're low on logs or can't find trees.

The ability to burn sticks at reasonably high temperatures is close enough to a rocket stove to satisfy me.  I'd be fine if they went through a stack at the same rate that a forge goes through a piece of coal.

This thread contains a high amount of win.

Really I'm for any aesthetically pleasing alternative to the firepit that burns fuel slower and more efficiently. I don't care what you call it, however I'd really prefer that it be able to burn wood. I love woodfires. That smell.... Mmmmmmmmm.

Also to play devils advocate, a rocket stove is TOTALLY feasible within the timescale of TFC. Sure it wasn't invented till later, but it really doesn't use any special tech. For crying out loud you can make one out of two cans, one with holes drilled in it! That's not exactly "high tech". Yea the name sounds futuristic, but the concept is no more complicated than a bloody blast furnace....

EDIT; after further research, it turns out this concept was used in the roman times. So yeah... Pretty hard to argue that.

How would we make this?

I have a few ideas for it though.

1. just like forge, but with a full log pile instead

2. a stone, covered on four sides by metal sheets, with three logs on top. Light with firestarter

3.same as firepit, but with logs

4. craft rocks in a barrel shape then place.

5. craft rocks in a barrel shape with metal sheet on bottom. place.

If you didn't notice, I think it should accept logs. But not peat. just logs

How would we make this?

I have a few ideas for it though.

1. just like forge, but with a full log pile instead

2. a stone, covered on four sides by metal sheets, with three logs on top. Light with firestarter

3.same as firepit, but with logs

4. craft rocks in a barrel shape then place.

5. craft rocks in a barrel shape with metal sheet on bottom. place.

If you didn't notice, I think it should accept logs. But not peat. just logs

What about a craft in place item made my using the chisel to cut down a stone object to a slab on top and surrounding that on four sides with metal?  That would let you customize the appearance by using any brick, stone, stone brick or (if you're REALLY clever) cobblestone you choose for the top.  The result would be mineable/movable.

Good idea, sounds a bit OP tho, but they can change the numbers for balance if it gets implemented. I really enjoyed the way you tried to sale you idea, keep up the work.

Interesting idea, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this in game. In the meant time though, as a suggestion, I myself use brick blocks once I get metal tools, and put my fire-pit into a chimney/fireplace. It helps make it more aesthetically pleasing. 

Interesting idea, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this in game. In the meant time though, as a suggestion, I myself use brick blocks once I get metal tools, and put my fire-pit into a chimney/fireplace. It helps make it more aesthetically pleasing. 

Similar here.  I'll make a forge out of bricks that protrudes from the floor and carve the walls until it looks a little less bulky (this work best if your floor is a 1/2 high block so that is protrudes up half a block).  Then Ill make a chimney two blocks away with a pit kiln underneath it.  This looks reasonable for a kitchen or a forge, but it takes up so much space.Maybe instead of a range a wood stove.  That would make the "heat your home in winter" make way more sense, and you can still cook on the thing.  I love my wood stove, I have about 2,500 ft² and if costs about half a chord of wood to heat my home through the winter day and night.

To address what has been mentioned many times above, a stack of fuel won't work in any device. It's just not how TFC operates. If a long lasting source of heat for a house is what you want, (and may very well be a requirement, I'm not sure yet) you'd probably want a device that could smolder a smaller amount of fuel for a long time.

To address what has been mentioned many times above, a stack of fuel won't work in any device. It's just not how TFC operates. If a long lasting source of heat for a house is what you want, (and may very well be a requirement, I'm not sure yet) you'd probably want a device that could smolder a smaller amount of fuel for a long time.

Heating homes? o.O :D <3

Happiness abounding! My brazier and oven threads are useful!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0