Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TheHighestKite

More Wildlife, And A More Realistic Hunting Aspect

33 posts in this topic

I Would Like To See More Wildlife Mobs In General. And It Being Harder To Hunt Some Of Said Wildlife. And Were The Normal Vanilla Animals Are Still In The Game, But Alittle Harder To Find Then, Like A Dear, or Such. And Alot Of The Wildlife, Like Dears, Running Away Alot. And A Bow And/Or Javelin really being needed to Hunt Said Wild Animals. And Still Being Able To Be Taken Down With A Malay Weapon, But Being A Much Harder Alternative. 

- It's not really "believable", that a 'wild" mob would let you walk straight up to it and mash on its face with your fist,

-Also neither is it "believable" that the forest is filled with barn yard animals, and only 1 deer here and there (There should be more variety of wildlife)

Yeah, I'd like to see pigs reskinned to look like wild boars and cows reskinned to … aurochs?

Mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers wouldn't be inappropriate.

Well, animals and wildlife is pretty much Dunk's neverending quest right now. Makes tweaks to them every update.

So I think we could get plenty in that direction soon.

But for now, yea, brainstorming.

For the 

- It's not really "believable", that a 'wild" mob would let you walk straight up to it and mash on its face with your fist,

If that said animal has never seen humans and is big enough to not feel threatened, they might as well let you walk up to it, and punch it,

Whether you survive what happens later is another matter of course.

I think small animals and 'jumpy' and animals should run away from you.

Big, 'calm' animals would let you approach.

Also, animals when hit should run away in a logical direction, or attack back.

And finally, When you a animal, all animals nearby will react to it, and not just the animal you hit,

And that is all I have to say for now, really.

As Allen said, Dunk is already working on pretty much everything you mentioned as we speak.Pigs will be boars, cows will be aurochs, chickens will (likely) be red jungle fowl if I had to guess (he hasn't said much about them), and deer will be fast as fuck. Of these, the first two will be hostile, and will hit back. Hard.

Also If You Type Like This No One Will Take You Seriously, I Mean Come On Even German Only Capitalizes Every Noun. This Isn't Reddit Kid

For the 

If that said animal has never seen humans and is big enough to not feel threatened, they might as well let you walk up to it, and punch it,

Whether you survive what happens later is another matter of course.

I think small animals and 'jumpy' and animals should run away from you.

Big, 'calm' animals would let you approach.

Also, animals when hit should run away in a logical direction, or attack back.

And finally, When you a animal, all animals nearby will react to it, and not just the animal you hit,

And that is all I have to say for now, really.

Yea a massive achuros would not really have a problem with a skinny, hairless creature walking up to it because it is probably thinking that it can just gore out your stomach with one little horn. And a small rabbit is probably terrified of anything as a big (in proportion) as you are, and would run away even if it has never encountered a human before.

Yea a massive achuros would not really have a problem with a skinny, hairless creature walking up to it.

Try it.

I dare you.

Auchuros are extinct, thought they still have a place in Terra firma craft. Actually I think auchuros should spawn in the woods and bison in plains, both being able to be domesticated.

Yeah, I'd like to see pigs reskinned to look like wild boars and cows reskinned to … aurochs?

Yea Mammoths, and saber-tooth tigers wouldn't be inappropriate. They have even proven that some were alive in the same time period of when the pyramids were being built 

Mammoths and smilodons would be pretty neat. With reskinning cows to aurochs, pigs to boars, chickens to jungle fowl, and adding mammoths and smilodons, why not add dire wolves? They would be more aggressive than regular wolves, a bit larger, and untameable. Or, if tameable, it would be much more difficult to do so. More bones, plus having to sneak towards them while holding a bone so they don't attack you, maybe?

Not entirely sure I like the idea of "going Ice Age," though. Unfortunately, I don't really have any idea what could be used to replace aurochs. Bison wouldn't work very well unless it's as a different mob that roams the open plains.

Speaking of sneaking so mobs don't attack, what if when you sneak, you have a chance to be 'ignored' by animals? basically, they will not see you as a threat and will not run away from you, or attack you(unless hungry, I suppose).

I like the idea of dire wolves, how about to tame them, you have to sneak and feed them bones until you 'befriend' them(just a simple, 'they won't attack you', so you can quit sneaking) then feed them raw meat(the type and how spoiled it is effects tame chance) until tamed

I think the game needs more small animals, like mouse deer, rabbits/hares, badgers, and squirrels. In early game, killing something like a pig or cow will give you too much food than you really need, which would quickly decay and be wasted. Having more small animals would allow you to get protein early in the game without being afraid of wasting a lot of it.

I think the game needs more small animals, like mouse deer, rabbits/hares, badgers, and squirrels. In early game, killing something like a pig or cow will give you too much food than you really need, which would quickly decay and be wasted. Having more small animals would allow you to get protein early in the game without being afraid of wasting a lot of it.

Nod of approval on this one. A good source of small amounts of meat is a great idea for early-game, as well as a great chance for dunk to do some more cool renders and AI

Is anyone else interested in trapping? Not saying it needs to be in place for large mobs like deer etc (I would prefer to bring those down with a bow) but perhaps if Dunk coded animal trails where small game would repeatedly travel a path we could find evidence of "game trails" in the world and set wire snares or deadfalls etc. If a player is in an area too often/builds too much the game will move away. Just something to spice it up.

Is anyone else interested in trapping? Not saying it needs to be in place for large mobs like deer etc (I would prefer to bring those down with a bow) but perhaps if Dunk coded animal trails where small game would repeatedly travel a path we could find evidence of "game trails" in the world and set wire snares or deadfalls etc. If a player is in an area too often/builds too much the game will move away. Just something to spice it up.

There's already a trapping thread here, please keep discussion of hunting traps where it belongs.

There is a thread about realistic wildlife behaviors and it is the one you are reading right now. My post was about wildlife following game trails and being scared out of an area by high levels of human activity. This is completely relevant and has every right to be in this thread. I mentioned trapping because "game trail" behavior has implications in that area as well. Please don't beat down my post if it's not out of line.

I'd agree with sentiment for rabbits and squirrels. However, I'd like those creatures to be not smaller than chickens, if only for the ease of aiming and interaction (which shouldn't be a problem, as depending on specie of rabbit/squirrel, those things can be relatively quite big)

There is a thread about realistic wildlife behaviors and it is the one you are reading right now. My post was about wildlife following game trails and being scared out of an area by high levels of human activity. This is completely relevant and has every right to be in this thread. I mentioned trapping because "game trail" behavior has implications in that area as well. Please don't beat down my post if it's not out of line.

PM'd

To go back to the original point, if the mod is going for realism then the deer shouldn't be jittery. Grazing deer are actaully very easy to repeatedly get close to in real life, it's easy to track them and you will find that they only run 100-200 metres usually to get away from a threat. Though I do agree that you would probably need a javelin.

As suggested earlier aurochs and aggresive cows (In fact all animals should be defensive, and attack in packs, especially mothers and males) would be a great addition. I think it would add a nice dept to the game, you would really have to fight to survive the winter higher up north. 

I'm not familiar with bioxx's or dunk's current progress though, I'd say they have a fair idea if it's all being re-written.

Yea Mammoths, and saber-tooth tigers wouldn't be inappropriate. They have even proven that some were alive in the same time period of when the pyramids were being built 

Sorry to go back a few posts but the pyramids (the famous ones at Giza) were constructed around 2500BC. Woolly mammoths still walked around as late as 1700BC.

On the other hand, saber toothed cats (or the genus Similodon) died out around 10 000BC

Rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc... are all fine and dandy, I have no problems with those. But when everyone says they want more wildlife just how far back in time are you suggesting we go?

I agree with WIldSpirits. We should keep the ancient history out of this, otherwise progressing to an age where we're working high-carbon steel while we still have Manny, Diego and Sid the Sloth running around in the background makes no sense. The two just don't go together.

Maga raises a decent point, though I suspect original idea for reskins of animals wasn't based on ancient history as much as need to make proper wild counterparts to current animals, as cows and pigs as they are right now seem to be the domesticated variant. Boars instead of pigs were mentioned, we just need some sort of wild cow and aurochs were a potential idea for that.

That's not nearly as important as just having more wildlife and making it behave better. Though I'd like to be able to tame a pair of wild boars and then - as unrealistic as it may be - make them breed, creating little, pink, domesticated piglets for my farm. But that's a random, side thought.

Regarding deer being jittery - I am really not sure. While the bit about scared ones running seldom ever further than couple of hundred meters (still quite a way for human on foot trying to find such deer through dense forest) may be true, to my experience they do tend to be cautious and move away if noticing an approaching hunter. At least when it comes to those animals in countries with relevant hunting season. Also, simply for making hunting require a bit more skill than 'approach the prey and punch it repeatedly while it runs in circles' I really wouldn't mind animal behavior to be more stereotypical.

Though I'd like to be able to tame a pair of wild boars and then - as unrealistic as it may be - make them breed, creating little, pink, domesticated piglets for my farm. But that's a random, side thought.

This is already a stated goal, and is being worked on by Dunk (at a snails pace, but it's going)

Regarding deer being jittery - I am really not sure. While the bit about scared ones running seldom ever further than couple of hundred meters (still quite a way for human on foot trying to find such deer through dense forest) may be true, to my experience they do tend to be cautious and move away if noticing an approaching hunter. At least when it comes to those animals in countries with relevant hunting season. Also, simply for making hunting require a bit more skill than 'approach the prey and punch it repeatedly while it runs in circles' I really wouldn't mind animal behavior to be more stereotypical.

Well I don't think it should be hard to catch a deer with a javelin, I do think it should require patience and a lot of walking.

The fact that deer usually spawn in fairly large groups would make it quite exploitable compared to other more territorial animals (if they were aggresive).

It would provide a nice balance if you would have to spend the better half of a day following deer to get one.

I like the idea of hunting and follow animals, one thing is maybe rain will wash away tracks. Also if we are tracking animals we need a way to create a quick campsite compared to carrying thatch and setting up little hunts every night. A tent or camping bag would be nice, being made of leather and sticks somehow, can function like a bed without setting a spawn point. Also just reskining a mob, isn't really that good, that can be changed with a texture pack. Its not something on the mod side...if we had to breed them and kinda train them to get the regular farm animals that would be cool. Also I really enjoy the behavior changes being discussed those would be good for TFC.

Something that may be fun would be animal runs, or trails, that appear on world gen and are made of permadirt.  Animals would tend toward walking along them, and they might be good spots to set up traps, if they're ever implemented.