Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
mdtexeira

Charcoal pit

43 posts in this topic

Lol.. That should probably be fixed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure about torches, but you can make underwater pits. Not very practical, but fun to try.

It will be nice seeing you try the wooden door trick in B79  :D

Making the doors burn away is clever, but I don't think it solves the problem with getSurroundedByWood.

Charcoal pits are confusingly inconsistent. Right now you can start a charcoal pit that can fail and there's nothing in the wiki page that would tell you why. I think there's 3 reasonable options here:1) Charcoal pits will require the firepit to be surrounded, and therefore will not start unless surrounded. The wiki gets updated to mention this.or2) Charcoal pits can have the firepit in any position, and therefore will not prematurely burn out even if they are not surrounded by wood. The getSurroundedByWood check on the temperature update is replaced by isActiveCharcoalPitor

3) Charcoal pits can have the firepit in any position, and explicitly require long-burning wood that can last the whole pyrolysis duration. The getSurroundedByWood check is removed entirely, and the firepit always consumes fuel regardless of its position.

Charcoal pits are (almost) fixed in B79, just need to consider and add the surrounded-with-invalid-blocks check :P

A firepit has no need for extra burning wood when starting a charcoal pit, that was(is) a bug, which is fixed in B79.

You can place a firepit anywhere on the bottom layer to lite a charcoal pit, and all touching logpiles 12 blocks away from the firepit will be effected. This works in B78 and was not changed in B79.

Edit: in B78 the firepit needs to be surrounded by a block that is of material wood -> http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5905-7817-charcoal-pit-burn-duration-issues-annoying/?p=82127at the moment there is no need for that in B79, but anything can still change in B79 :)

One workaround i found for the bug in B78 where the firepit needs wood to burn and keep the charcoal pit going is,

-- you can fire up your charcoal pit from any side and keep one side of the firepit open, that will not effect the charcoal pit, that way you can reach the firepit and feed it with the extra wood it needs to keep the charcoal pit burning.

Edit: Another one is using a wooden door, and if the door is open or closed makes no difference, so you can open it and check on your firepit any time .. on B78.

So can I have a block of covered woodpile by itself, then walk up to 12 blocks over completely disjointed from the woodpile, light a fire pit, and have the woodpile ignite into a charcoal fire?

So can I have a block of covered woodpile by itself, then walk up to 12 blocks over completely disjointed from the woodpile, light a fire pit, and have the woodpile ignite into a charcoal fire?

No, they have to be touching.

Lol.. That should probably be fixed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yea, it really should.....

I mean, I heard complaints about torches and signs and doors and such being a bit op underwater, but this is ridiculous!

Hey, would this work with singes, fences, fence gates,trap doors and sugarcane as well?

I mean, doors and plank(item)s work, right? does that mean we can make a perfectly working charcoal pit just using doors, sugarcane, signs, fences, fence gates, planks(item), torches, and trap doors?

Yea, it really should.....

I mean, I heard complaints about torches and signs and doors and such being a bit op underwater, but this is ridiculous!

Hey, would this work with singes, fences, fence gates,trap doors and sugarcane as well?

I mean, doors and plank(item)s work, right? does that mean we can make a perfectly working charcoal pit just using doors, sugarcane, signs, fences, fence gates, planks(item), torches, and trap doors?

In 78.17, yes all these things work. In 79, this is probably going to change. For instance, Emris has already made a change in 79 so that if your charcoal pit is covered in flammable blocks, those blocks catch on fire and the whole pit burns away.

You can't burn torch... Maybe make all cover with wood, cloth, and plant block type turn to fire when the pit is lit?

On the topic of chopping down trees I think a solution would be to have ax durability tie to how many logs it cuts down So this way at least you cannot cut down a whole forest with a stone ax. Always cutting down big trees from the top down. Is not very realistic but it balances the game.

Lol.. That should probably be fixed

LOLOL I just laughed out loud so hard when I saw that.

I built  a 5x5x4 high stone brick structure to use for charcoal pit. Boy did I have fun with it......First time I used it, it worked just fine with the fire pit in front of the door.....Second and third time, the logs nearest the ceiling did not convert(fire pit still in front of the door and all other air spaces filled. (I filled the top areas, by climbing on top of it and opening up the top....filling it up and then reclosing it....the most ***cough, cough*** hilarious time I had trying to make this pit, was the time the pit was empty...so I started the campfire in the middle of the room without any wood in it to keep it burning. I left the building (there was no log piles in the building at the time) to go cut some trees....I was gone about 10mins and I went into the building to start placing log piles....I had placed about 6 log piles(stacks)...nothing unusual, Left the building to collect more wood. Came back with some more wood, nothing was amiss when I went into the building...campfire was out...no logs in it or on top of it yet, so I went about my business stacking more wood and suddenly I was on fire??? Ran out of the building and realized that all the wood piles were going up. So how did the campfire re-ignite? I wasn't carrying a flint or steel or firestarter. Anyways, I came to the conclusion that a firepit in the middle of the room gives the best results. I fill everything up except the log pile in front of the door. I add wood to the campfire ring, Light it, and then quickly fill in the pile in front of the door, that I had left open to light the campfire. This works the best for complete burning of the wood to charcoal. The firepit in front of the door is more convenient, but I always get inconsistent results.

On the topic of chopping down trees I think a solution would be to have ax durability tie to how many logs it cuts down So this way at least you cannot cut down a whole forest with a stone ax. Always cutting down big trees from the top down. Is not very realistic but it balances the game.

Uh, that's already how axes work. It takes away a durability point for every log that the axe breaks... that's why if you're axe is almost broken it will only chop down the top half of the tree.

I built  a 5x5x4 high stone brick structure to use for charcoal pit. Boy did I have fun with it......First time I used it, it worked just fine with the fire pit in front of the door.....Second and third time, the logs nearest the ceiling did not convert

It should be noted that the height of what is converted is determined by the log piles directly above the fire pit. So if you have a 5 block tall structure, but only a single log pile above the firepit, all of the layers that are above the single log pile above the pit aren't going to turn into charcoal. I.E. The highest log pile in your entire structure must have the same X and Z coordinates as the fire pit.

You could limit it further by making the axe break if it can't cut the entire tree down. (i.e. you try to cut down a 10 block tree with a axe with 3 uses left, it will break and give you nothing)

It is more realistic than cutting half the tree down (unless you are cutting at the halfway point that shouldn't be possible)

And it sounds pretty reasonable to break a weakened axe without succeeding in getting any wood from it

Ran out of the building and realized that all the wood piles were going up. So how did the campfire re-ignite? I wasn't carrying a flint or steel or firestarter. Anyways, I came to the conclusion that a firepit in the middle of the room gives the best results. I fill everything up except the log pile in front of the door. I add wood to the campfire ring, Light it, and then quickly fill in the pile in front of the door, that I had left open to light the campfire. This works the best for complete burning of the wood to charcoal. The firepit in front of the door is more convenient, but I always get inconsistent results.

If you fill in the room in the wrong order, the last pile that completes a full structure  (meaning one pile on each side of the firepit and one on top and the door proll counts as a log pile) automaticly fires up the whole charcoal pit. I had this happen to me as i was preparing a charcoal room that was 3x3x3 in size, i pre-stacked the room while it wasnt fully fire-proof as i was lacking some stone at the time. This resulted in my house burning down cause it started burning when i wasnt quite done yet.

In other words, you dont actually need a firestarter or flint and steel to light the fire in the middle, just make sure it has a few logs and keep stacking the piles. Not sure it this was intended though, but it sure comes in handy from time to time if you know how and when this happens ;)

Uh, that's already how axes work. It takes away a durability point for every log that the axe breaks... that's why if you're axe is almost broken it will only chop down the top half of the tree.

It should be noted that the height of what is converted is determined by the log piles directly above the fire pit. So if you have a 5 block tall structure, but only a single log pile above the firepit, all of the layers that are above the single log pile above the pit aren't going to turn into charcoal. I.E. The highest log pile in your entire structure must have the same X and Z coordinates as the fire pit.

Yes, I fill in everything and fill in the spaces above the firepit towards the last of filling in the room. I have a ladder on the side of the building and I get on top. I followed the stone building structure as I saw on the wikki. I fill in every available space first, except directly above the fire pit and the bottom log pile in front of the firepit nearest the door. ( I use thatch to hold places as I need to fill in all difficult areas then remove the thatch as I fill in those spaces. It is all filled. Once everything is filled....I climb my building, open up the area above the firepit....make sure the firepit has logs, then fill in the spaces above the firepit (two log piles (placing these piles can be difficult but can be done., then the stone is replaced...I jump down....light the firepit, place the last log pile in front of the firepit and run out the door and shut it. There is no open air spaces.

I have done it this way all the time. I just get inconsistent results with the conversion and leaving log piles behind And the one time, it spontaneously combusted, and I didn't even have half of the log piles in place yet. There was no log piles on top of the firepit yet. I was turned away from the fire pit as I was placing logs in the corner of the building ......and I started taking damage and realized I was on fire. I ran out, and into the lake, and of course I lost all the wood I had placed.

Placing the log piles on top of the firepit  is one of the last things I do. In total I use 26 log piles +4 logs for the firepit. Total of 420 logs. I usually get around 2 stacks of charcoal. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, I guess my point is at this time getting charcoal tends to be inconsistent and full of danger. (I really got my tail feathers burnt :) and lost some wood, and still don't know how it ignited as I play single player).

Fixed in B79.